Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

Well football team name for the capital city of the biggest democratic country of the world, thats very special.

have nothing against Warriors, Red this or Red that, but, I mean, doesnt sounds for me.

My taste would be an out of the box name and concept, but I doubt the NFL and the Wash owners will go that way.

Washington Freemen

Washington Liberty

Washington Force

Want to pay tribute to the army?

Washington Airborne

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say no to any singular nicknames. They’re mostly terrible in the NBA, NHL and MLS. 

Personally, I love the Redtails as the main option. IMO, it’s best option and most unique. 

I would hate that the main historic rival of my favorite team would have an amazing name and team colors, but to have an identity like that in pro sports would be awesome. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

8 hours ago, ~Bear said:

My personal opinion:

-Warriors is painfully generic. It doesn’t help there is another Big 4 Sports team called the “Warriors” either. 

-Red Tails or Redtails would be a good name but I don’t think it’ll happen. 

-Red Wolves or Redwolves is a creative name and not as awful as some people are saying. For me personally, I’d rather them just go with “Washington Wolves”.

Warriors is painfully generic but Wolves isn't?

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

I imagine the DMVs in the DC region will require car owners to return their Redskins license plates for either the new Washington Football Club vanity license plates or switch to something else.

There are still Arkansas State Indian plates out in the wild being used. Not a lot, but it's not like there were a lot in the first place since that was when Arkansas State football was consistently one of the worst teams in the land.

Real question: How did Red Wolves gain so much momentum suddenly?

Also, big whoof to the post a couple above mine. Fully expecting the [mod edit] on that one, though it deserves worse for being bad and lazy as well.

3 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Red Tails is a horrible name?

No, not at all.  I'm with you.  "Redtails" seems like a bit of a stretch and kind of forced.  I want it to work but it just doesn't.  Okay, so their commander was from Washington.  So what?  A lot of important people are from Washington.  That doesn't mean we name the nation's capital's football team after stuff that they did.  It just feels too specific to a single historical situation and that, in general, no one associates with Washington.  If Alabama gets an NFL team, then maybe go for it.

Of all the choices being thrown around, I would go with Red Wolves.  It just seems to have the most potential for a creative and interesting identity, and avoids any kind of controversy, which is what is needed now and going forward.  "Wolves" is kind of generic, but throw the "Red" in front and all of a sudden you've got something a bit more specific/special that you can work with.  And they could still easily keep the color scheme, HTTR, overall appearance/feel, etc.  I could see this feeling like a smooth and natural transition from "Redskins," that will minimize making fans feel like they are cheering for a completely different team.

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The sig of @Jimmy! reminds me that the best name out there is Washington Federals.  It is appropriate for the capital, and sits beautifully alongside Nationals.

What's more, the USFL Federals' logo is spectacular:

5760.gif

A version of this, recoloured in maroon and burgundy, would be wonderful.

This is the identity that the team should pay whatever to whomever to acquire.

My fed skull is available, too. 😊

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

35 minutes ago, dont care said:

No red tails is an awful name just meant to pander. The are the Tuskegee airmen and have no connection to Washington.

Other than their commanding officer being a native Washingtonian, you mean.   And the natural connection all military units can be said to have to our national capital, particularly one with its very specific roots in the HQ in Washington. 

If you’re going to exclude it because all military imagery should be off the table, I’m with you.  But if any other military-inspired names are in the mix, this one should be as well. 

43 minutes ago, dont care said:

No red tails is an awful name just meant to pander. The are the Tuskegee airmen and have no connection to Washington.

How the hell is it pandering? To who? Just say you don't like it and move on. It has historical significance, local relevance, and fits the military theme. I'm a falcons fan, so it's no bother to me, but your statement is a little off.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, dont care said:

I think Red Tails isn't my favorite name just because I don't like the way it sounds and I don't like "Red X" names, but there's a connection to DC since they're part of the US Army Air Force which is commanded from Washington.  While it might be a little panderish, I don't think it's an issue from a location perspective, and they could do far worse.

Red Wolves is laughably minor league. 

MOD EDITED

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Red Wolves is laughably minor league.  If I was a hot girl and some big beefy jock-looking dude came up to me and was like "hey baby, I play for the Red Wolves, you should totally get with me.  I'mma call my crew, you can call your crew, and we can rendezvous at the crib around two" I'd be like "sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d."

😆😆

Archived