Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Red Wolves is laughably minor league.  If I was a hot girl and some big beefy jock-looking dude came up to me and was like "hey baby, I play for the Red Wolves, you should totally get with me.  I'mma call my crew, you can call your crew, and we can rendezvous at the crib around two" I'd be like "sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d."

Well, this took an unexpected turn. 

Red Tails (Redtails) is best. Great history. Would be a great pro sports name. 

"Hail to the Red Tails" would be a great new slogan. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

"Wolves" is kind of generic, but throw the "Red" in front and all of a sudden you've got something a bit more specific/special that you can work with.

"Red Wolves" is as good as "Golden Knights" — which is to say: not good at all.

In both cases, a perfectly fine (if not terribly exciting) nickname is cheesified by the gratuitous addition of an adjective.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 hours ago, dont care said:

No red tails is an awful name just meant to pander. The are the Tuskegee airmen and have no connection to Washington.

I think Red Tails is an outstanding name.

For one, the red-tailed hawk is also known as a red tail. There is a strong connection between a Red Tail and Washington. The red-tailed hawk is very common in the city and it the most common raptor in all of the USA. That piercing "eagle" cry that people associate with the bald eagle? Actually, it's a red-tailed hawk. Every sports team in DC uses an eagle in their logo. As their nearest rival is called the Eagles, an eagle is not an option for the Washington football team.

Two, red is the color of the city and the main color of every major professional sports team in the city.

Three, feathers have been part of the team identity since the beginning. Using a bird in the team identity enables them to link with team tradition.

Four, the Tuskegee Airmen are a very appropriate legacy for this exact team to honor. The creation of a black air unit was ordered from Washington. And the Tuskegee Airmen were an important part of desegregating major American institutions like the NFL by being an example of how blacks were equally capable of achieving elite success. The NFL was desegregated only one year after WWII, by the LA Rams. Like DC itself, the Washington football team has a horrible history of racial insensitivity. Former-owner George Prescott Marshall was the last team owner to integrate in all of the big three leagues. Marshall thought his team was the team of the White South. During the beginning of the civil rights movement, the lyrics in "Hail to the Redskins" was officially changed from "Fight for Ol' DC" to "Fight for Ol' Dixie". The lyrics were only changed back when Jack Kent Cooke became part of the ownership. To go from the Redskins to Red Tails honors American history and military success, a theme in DC professional sports culture. It honors the city's main demographic group and how the city has itself gone from a bastion of white supremacy to a city proud of its African-American identity.

Lastly, Red Tails can appeal to all fans. It is a unique name, unlike Warriors or Red Wolves or Red Hawks. It is also capable of being different things to different groups... an animal, member of our armed forces, or a connection to the team's former identity. Real, unique, indigenous and specific animal names work better than generic ones. Think Diamondback vs. Snake, or Terrapin vs. Turtle, or Seahawk vs. Hawk, or Bengal (not indigenous of course) vs. Tiger, or Oriole vs. Bird, or Marlin vs. Fish. 

MOD EDIT: Let's keep the party politics out of it.

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Warriors is painfully generic but Wolves isn't?

Wolves is generic, but think about it, how teams in the NFL have nicknames associated to dogs/wolves? The Browns unoffically because of the "Dawg Pound" but that's about it. I'd go with Wolves instead of Red Wolves.

Here's another name that has popped up and has been suggested: Renegades- yes it's usually aimed towards Native Americans, but it can also represent outlaws and rebels too.

1 minute ago, Tygers09 said:

Here's another name that has popped up pr has been suggested, Renegades- yes it's usually aimed towards Native Americans, but it can also represent outlaws and rebels too.

🤢 I'd rather them not go with the most generic "cool" name possible, thanks. "Redtails" is a perfect name with a great double-meaning, I'd hope Snyder isn't stupid enough to go for something as hilariously generic and cliche as "Washington Renegades".

Plus, "Redtails" fits great into the team song; "Hail to the Redtails" sounds great.

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

"Red Wolves" is as good as "Golden Knights" — which is to say: not good at all.

In both cases, a perfectly fine (if not terribly exciting) nickname is cheesified by the gratuitous addition of an adjective.

For whatever it's worth, Arkansas State's Red Wolves (and therefore my name) comes from the endangered species of the same name (Canis rufus). No idea if that's what @IceCap had in mind since I have been assured that they're to blame for all of this.

Also, one thing that bothered me to think about when looking at teams moving from Native American mascots is how often they end up with "Red" or "Hawks" in their name. St. John's Red Storm, Arkansas State Red Wolves, Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks, and the kings of this example, the Miami RedHawks. Granted, I think most of the teams that ended up with "Red" at the beginning were previously known as Redskins or Redmen, which is weirdly not the case with Arkansas State who were the Indians. 

1 hour ago, Raptorman415 said:
5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Washington Generals are the team the Harlem Globetrotters beat 16,000 times. 

Really? I thought at some point they would be due for a win. Heard some clown lost all his money because of the Generals a while back. Shame

According to their own website they have 3 wins, but allegedly its more like 6 or 7

14 hours ago, ddub53 said:

I don't get such a push for Red Tails.  The Red Tails from World War II had nothing to do with the DC area.

Capt. Benjamin O. Davis, Jr. - a native of Washington, DC - was a member of the first training class at Tuskegee Army Air Field. During his training, Davis became the first black American officer to solo a U.S. Army Air Corps aircraft. Following his promotion to the rank of lieutenant colonel, Davis became the commanding officer of the 99th Fighter Squadron. The first black to hold a regular commission in the nation's military air arm, he would later attain the rank of four-star general in the United States Air Force.

Further, only five U.S. municipalities produced more Tuskegee Airmen Pilot Graduates than the 33 who were natives of Washington, DC: New York (57), Chicago (63), Philadelphia (36), Detroit (38), and Los Angeles (45). Given that each of the cities in question was significantly more populous than Washington, DC during the duration of World War II, the contribution of our nation's capital to the establishment of the country's first black flying squadron - to say nothing of setting the country's military forces on the path to eventual desegregation - is undeniable.    

Archived