Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

5 minutes ago, dont care said:

What’s the reference because my mind immediately goes to the confederates. Is there something I’m missing?

Negro League baseball team. It was among the finalists for Washington Baseball before they went with Nationals.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CherryMX said:

Also regarding "Founders:"  That is also the term of when an animal eats too much, to the point where its stomach bursts and the creature dies.

Sure, but the halftime shows would really be something. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Two off the wall suggestions I have that deal with DC’s transit-

Washington Metros

Washington Railriders

Yes, let's forego all the meaning, history, and symbolism of the capitol city of the greatest nation on Earth, and instead honor its pride & joy: the subway system.

Just now, Volt said:

Yes, let's forego all the meaning, history, and symbolism of the capitol city of the greatest nation on Earth, and instead honor its pride & joy: the subway system.

DC's subway system IS top notch though. 

6 minutes ago, Volt said:

MOD REDACTED

Just so you know...

People tossing around hyperbole and disparaging those that hold differing opinions from one's self is why we've traditionally shut these threads down in the past.  

Good grief... I leave this thread for half an hour and come back to mod edits a plenty.

Amongst all the historic value the nation’s capital offers, the metro system is undoubtedly a big part of it.

My overall opinion on the naming situation is this-

• Anything with “Red” in the name I see as a cop out and lacks creativity

• Yes, Washington DC is the nation’s capital so obviously USA themed suggestions will pop up, but they’re undoubtedly exhausted at this point. The two best names for a DC team, Capitals and Nationals are already taken. 

• The best route for the team is to honor the city itself. Not the nation.

10 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’m surprised we’ve managed to stay open for business this long. Hopefully we can all stay on topic because I’d like to keep this going.

As long as y'all keep behaving, we should be fine. We knew going in that there would be a few issues here and there. Just my take as one mod, but I think overall it's gone surprisingly well.

BB52Big.jpg

3 minutes ago, Oso said:

Call em the Redd Foxxes and have Fred Sanford as the mascot...

Alright, alright, I will see myself out.

Thanks for spelling him correctly 🙂

Agree with @DNAsports that all of these Red ______ names are the wrong direction. I really think they need to help people along in their grief by moving away from Rednames.

It's where I sit.

I noticed that the discussion on the front page was disabled as this issue over the Washington Redskins and their name can get ugly (on both sides on this issue).  Chris made a good article about the history of the Redskins controversy recently.  There’s another old but interesting webpage about the Native mascot controversy and of course the Fighting Whities, which was a satirical and creative take on this issue.

I must admit that I can't get used to a Washington DC football team NOT named the Redskins.  Sure, Daniel Snyder is a terrible sports owner but why was the sports/news media act like he's the one that named the team what it is?  That being said, I would be okay if Washington rebranded if Snyder agreed to relinquish ownership of the team. Him still being owner of the team is more offensive than "Redskins" to me as he is one of the worst owners in sports. Washington getting new ownership should had been a higher priority and let the new ownership change the name. (yeah, yeah I know some of you would say "Why not both") Snyder is a weaselly owner who only changing the name because of the corporate pressure, not because whether it is the right thing to do or from request from Native American activist groups who take issue with the team name (What about the Natives who are NOT offended by such sports mascot/names or simply don't care about this issue one way or the other?). Seven years ago, Snyder vowed he would not change the team's name.  Well, money talks and he's a serial liar.

The name change is coming but why is Washington dropping the classic Indian head logo?  I thought the "Redskin" name was the issue, not the logo. It's not that Washington's now-former logo was Chief Wahoo or anything. (with MLB's Cleveland Indians, it was the opposite with Chief Wahoo as the hot button issue rather than the team's name).  The man who designed the old Redskins logo was a Native American (I did not know that until recently).  While the Washington franchise was last to racially integrate its players (the owner at the time, George Marshall, was ultra-racist), weren't the Redskins the first NFL team to win a Super Bowl with a Black QB decades later?  Doug Williams won a Super Bowl as a Washington Redskin (not as a Redtail, Renegade, Warrior, Hog, Pigskin, Potato Skin, Swamp Politician, or so on).  What's going to happen regarding old broadcasts?  No more throwback options on Madden?  Overall, a shaky history regarding cultural sensitivity. They better at least keep the colors (burgundy/gold).  We don’t need another R/W/B team just to match the other Washington teams (Nationals, Capitals, and Wizards).

These corporations like Nike and Amazon had no problem selling Redskins/Indians/etc merchandise for DECADES and yet suddenly I'm supposed to believe they are all offended somehow?  I remember the declaration that "Corporations were NOT People!"  At least I respect the opinions of people who opposed Native-theme sports logos (such as Uni-Watch's Paul Lukas) for at least being consistent and sincere on what they believe in.  These corporations could care less about the Native people (the same can be applied about these sports teams as well).  However, I do have concern over a slippery slope over renaming certain teams.  Yale university is currently in hot water over its name after its founder, who was a slave trader. A Washington Post opinion piece is even calling for the Texas Rangers MLB team to change its name!  I could go further and thought of some over-the-top politically correct scenarios over sport team names being forced to change, but I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators and the last thing we need is a flame war (not that I want to start one anyway).

Finally, the Navajo Nation, a Native American tribe from Arizona who opposed the “Redskins” name, have suggested that the team could used the name “Code Talkers”.  Snyder could had kept the logo but swap “Redskins” for “Code Talkers”.  Better yet, Snyder should sell the ownership of the team to a wealthy member of the tribe.   Since the name change is now a done deal, “Renegades” is my favorite choice for the team as I am not feeling "Red Wolves" or "Warriors". The choice the Navajo Nation suggested wouldn’t be too bad since they are okay with it.  On a side note, aren’t there a few Native American high schools with the name “Redskins”.  Here’s a 2014 Yahoo article about an Arizona Navajo high school with the “Redskins” name.  Since Washington’s NFL team is now dropping the name, shouldn’t these schools follow suit?

Archived