Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

"The only way I'll turn a profit is if the Washington Redskins or the NFL needs to buy one of my trademarks. [I'm] not really interested in making money selling products."

If I were litigating this, I'd figure out a way to include that quote in every single motion or brief I filed, regardless of the issue the brief addresses. And at trial, that quote would be blown up and put on a huge poster board for the jury to see.

I'm guessing any action would not get past summary judgment in favor of the Washington Football Club, so in the it depends on whether Washington and the NFL are willing to assert their rights or if they are willing to proverbially "negotiate with terrorists" and just pay a nuisance-level royalty while avoiding litigation.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

I imagine the DMVs in the DC region will require car owners to return their Redskins license plates for either the new Washington Football Club vanity license plates or switch to something else.

I honestly dont think so, at least in Virginia.

If nothing else, they'll likely stop issuing the plates for now and resume once a new logo/plate design has been approved.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, KJTALBOT said:

The name Redskins is racist. The logo is not. Just call them the Americans and be done.

Have the tribes ever weighed in on the logo?  It would seem to me that it's OK, but as an average white guy, it's not my place to decide what's OK and what's not to some other people group.  I'm curious what they'd say.

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

The name and the logo go hand-in-hand; I don't think you can change one without changing the other. Letting the logo stay would just keep the wound partially open, especially if the new name doesn't really have any indigenous significance. As @_J_ said, just rip the bandage off.

I think, in all likelihood, we'll get the Washington Football Club for at least a season, with blank maroon helmets and maroon-and-gold jersey with either a "Washington" wordmark above the front number or no wordmark at all. They might even pull a Browns and use the helmet as the primary logo.

While I think they could get away with keeping the logo if it worked with the new name, I think it would lead to people continuing to call them the [former nickname] rather than the new one since they'd look exactly the same.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I am both surprised and disappointed that the current head coach is a part of the discussion.  First, as is the case for most that work for Snyder, his presence is temporary. It would be like if the Dolphins had rebranded earlier and had it designed by Nick Saban.  In five year's Rivera's going to be gone but the team's primary identifier will carry him forever.  Also, I'd be stunned if it doesn't turn out to be military themed.

It blows my mind that the coach is part of it.  How the hell in 2020 does that happen?  As you said, he'll only be there for 2-4 years before being fired or retiring, and he's a football coach - not a branding/marketing expert.

2 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Go full soccer and just call themselves Washington Football Club. Kinda serious, kinda kidding. 

2 hours ago, Volt said:

One suggestion that I read and liked was to not choose a new name immediately - let this breathe for awhile and let people get over the Redskins name being gone - and go nameless, logo-less for 1-2 years.  

This is probably the best way to go.  Let the name emerge organically, like back in the day.  Better than making a rash decision and being stuck with it for the next century.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Is there any chance that the team would consider going in the direction of Florida State University, and choose to honour an indigenous nation in the area?

I'm thinking Washington Algonquians/Potomacs/something like that.

This was the first thing that came to mind.  I'm not sure if they'd have to pay the tribe a licensing fee though, and obviously they'd have to get the tribe to agree.  It would be a great way to keep the logo while doing a complete 180 on the name.   I like it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm really hoping for something that ties into D.C.. The only name I could think of however, is Federals, though it would be humorous to refer to them as the "Feds" for short. I originally wanted them to use the same colors as the Nationals and Capitals to create a theme, but that may dilute the uniqueness of their brand (at least by colors).

26 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Redtails is the best choice, and it's not even close. It sounds great, it honors a great group of people, makes for cool imagery, and strokes Snyder and Rivera's military boners.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too logically, but Washington Red Tails has given me pause. I understand that a few of the airmen were from the DC area, but that seems to be the extent of the local connection, unless you want to make the claim that Washington DC simply represents the entire war effort. The Red Tails are certainly worthy of honoring in such a fashion, but I find it nearly impossible to separate their namesake Tuskegee Airmen from the state of Alabama. In short, it just feels a little forced for a DC team to adopt Red Tails when the pilots have been historically more associated with the part of the country where their color-barrier breaking training actually took place.

One thing that I'm not hearing in these discussions is the possibility of dropping the team history. Such as when Cleveland moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, leaving the Browns identity behind completely. Could cutting ties to the past, and essentially starting as a new franchise, be a way to go? Because even if they have a new name, at the end of the day, aren't they still linked to that name? No one thinks of the Ravens as "the team that use to be the Browns". So would't the problem inevitably be that fans who refuse to let go of the racial slur, continue to call the team by that name if there isn't a 100% break from the team history? I once traveled to an Arkansas State football game in 2014 and, despite having changed from Indians to Red Wolves in 2008, many fans were still wearing shirts and hats with "Indians" on it. So I can imagine that if they become the "Washington (insert name)", and keep the colors, a good number of stubborn fans will still continue to wear Redskins gear in defiance of the name change. And the only way to possibly avoid it is "retiring" the Redskins for good and starting over as a "new" franchise. Am I wrong on this thought?

Just now, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Could cutting ties to the past, and essentially starting as a new franchise, be a way to go? 

No.  While I understand the argument that even though it's the same lineage, Ernest Byner never played for the Red Tails, but to the fans it's all the same, and they're always going to remember and honor the players from the past, so even if they "officially" dropped the lineage, that doesn't change the reality.

That they're remaining in the same city is what really separates it from the Cleveland Deal, which is something I've done a 180 on and now support.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

They've already stated that the colors weren't changing.

They said the same thing about the name for years, so...

51 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, Washington Spiders sounds like a fun time. Heck, it kind of sounds like Snyders! It'd be funny if ol' Dan named the team after himself or used a noun close to his name.

Washington Snyders would be a step too far.

*The Charlotte Bobcats have entered the chat*

My personal opinion:

-Warriors is painfully generic. It doesn’t help there is another Big 4 Sports team called the “Warriors” either. 

-Red Tails or Redtails would be a good name but I don’t think it’ll happen. 

-Red Wolves or Redwolves is a creative name and not as awful as some people are saying. For me personally, I’d rather them just go with “Washington Wolves”.

3 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Taking my shot. They'll just flip to the other side of Manifest Destiny. Washington Roughriders

And push into cowboys territory? No way.

Excellent!

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is probably the best way to go.  Let the name emerge organically, like back in the day.  Better than making a rash decision and being stuck with it for the next century.

Out of curiosity, how do you see this playing out? I guess what I'm asking it, what would "letting a name emerge organically" look like in this day and age? 

It would seem to be that, absent a name for some unprescribed period, the team's original name would fill the vacuum. So even though they'd no longer be the Redskins, they'd still essentially be the Redskins. I can't envision how a new brand would manifest organically in that circumstance. 

Archived