Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

10 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I'd go smaller. Harken back to the olden days. The cropped version butchers the logo IMO and doesn't do it any favours.

It's also probably just cheaper to produce since it's less material to make, so it's essentially Melnyk's dream. 😛

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

But that was still the case with the inaugural set. The torso & upper arms were the only part of the jersey that changed colours.

The inaugural set also had different sleeve numbers and collars, but I get what you're saying.

The white socks up through 2006-07 didn't have black lower sections like the sleeves, which to me made the black lower sections of the sleeves seem tacked on to the white jersey.

UTChymD.png

Maybe they thought that making the lower sections of the sleeves black resulted in a "plain white t-shirt" effect? Just a thought.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The hem stripe is the only thing I don't like. The purpose of the double stripe hem on the 1992 unis was to evoke the barberpole of the Original Ottawa Senators (this once led to an argument here, which led to my member title, "what the hell is CCSLC") . If you make the hem stripe a single red stripe then you lose the barberpole connection and it's just a single red stripe. 

In any case it's a good thing that we now have two fewer teams wearing black helmets-red jersey-black pants-red socks. The Blackhawks and Devils were enough. The Flames sort of get a pass because they also used yellow, but there was never a good reason for the Senators to be the fourth team on that red-then-black scheme rather than being the black-then-red team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sens Return to Their Roots, Unveil New Uniforms

October 7, 2020 - 21:39 PM

Calling it a “return to their roots”, the Ottawa Senators yesterday officially unveiled their long-ago leaked new home and road uniform set for the 2020-21 NHL season. “This is a nod to the success of the past and a celebration of the future with the bright young stars and talented

Read More...

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Bad logo choice. Either update the 90s logo or go with the 2007 redesign. This is a missed opportunity to create the best look this team has ever had.

The jerseys look like their were done in 5 minutes. The stripes on the white are missing something to make it a good looking jersey. I do like the use of red against the black on the home, one of the only decent things about this rebrand, and one of the only elements I give them points for, so that the rebrand does not get a zero. I'm okay with a black home jersey because I used to enjoy the black =O= jerseys, at least they now use the same color.

If I could grade their new unis overall, I give these a generous 2/10.

22 hours ago, nash61 said:

I also stumbled across what appears to be a knockoff, but the bolder lines on the logo make for a better primary than their "updated" version.

vintage-ottawa-senators-home-ccm-jersey-

But we all know they should have gone for the 2007 updated logo...

That's not a fake, that was a lack of quality control by CCM for not using the right crest but now looks cannon. 

zyyMk1d.png

On 10/6/2020 at 8:04 PM, andrewharrington said:

I agree, and I also think having a different look on the hem makes these more interesting than if the same pattern was used everywhere. I like having a little variety as long as the aesthetics work.

I do wish there were some black along the hem. The black pants kind of help fill that role, but when it's worn by a fan it will look like it's missing something. I think something along the lines of what Vegas' hem looks like would work. Thick black hem stripe topped with red stripe the same thickness as the red on the sleeves.

Also wish the red sleeve stripes were a bit farther apart. I'd like the numbers to sit between the stripes instead of on top of them.

I white jersey leaves a little to be desired (often the case with roads) but I do like it and it's an improvement over the old one. I really like that black jersey though. That's a solid A- jersey for me. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

I white jersey leaves a little to be desired (often the case with roads) but I do like it and it's an improvement over the old one. I really like that black jersey though. That's a solid A- jersey for me. 

I have always been a fan of the 2D centurion and this set is a huge improvement over the last set that wore out it's welcome over 10 years ago. I agree with you that a lot of away white sweaters typically leave a little to be desired. I look at this set like I do the Avalanche set. There are things that should be improved upon, but to me, it doesn't ruin much. I'd give it an A-, too.

The Ottawa rebrand scores a solid 8/10 for me - I'm ecstatic that the old logo is back, even if a modernized version (or that reworked alternate everyone loves) would have likely been a better choice, I'll take it.

As a lifelong Sens fan, the 2D logo was always the Senators for me. the 3D one was cool, I didn't hate it, but it just felt like the team was wearing an alt logo full-time. It never felt right, and those jerseys were... not the greatest.

Is the new stuff perfect? No. But it's a great starting point. The season after next is the team's 30th anniversary, so I'm sure we'll see a cool (red) third jersey with the "O" come back, and hopefully that shoulder S will be replaced by the heritage O permanently. Then they can just add the black sleeves to the away jerseys and there you go... leave well enough alone after that.

For fans who may not be 100% pleased with the rebrand, remember... with this organization, they could have gone with something ridiculous like the shoulder S as their new primary. It's stupid decisions like that you can come to expect from the Sens, given the low bar they have set. So yeah, let us fans celebrate the rebrand for the sole reason that it is not a disaster.

1416_ottawa_senators-alternate-2021.png

1 hour ago, Ricky_Roby said:

The season after next is the team's 30th anniversary,

The Sens have also kind of screwed that up too. They're a 92-93 expansion team. 21-22 would have been 30 seasons if there was no lockout, but as it is, 02-03 is technically the 30th anniversary and season, IMO. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Sens have also kind of screwed that up too. They're a 92-93 expansion team. 21-22 would have been 30 seasons if there was no lockout, but as it is, 02-03 is technically the 30th anniversary and season, IMO. 

This is true and it comes up every time a team has an anniversary... most teams are recognizing the anniversary in years, not in seasons, so it doesn't really change. Take Columbus and Minnesota next season - their logos just say "20" with 2000-2020. Yes, they only played 19 seasons in that time, but it remains to be their 20th anniversary as franchises. That seems to be the league standard for all anniversaries post-lockout.

4 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

This is true and it comes up every time a team has an anniversary... most teams are recognizing the anniversary in years, not in seasons, so it doesn't really change. Take Columbus and Minnesota next season - their logos just say "20" with 2000-2020. Yes, they only played 19 seasons in that time, but it remains to be their 20th anniversary as franchises. That seems to be the league standard for all anniversaries post-lockout.

But 2020-21 is 20 years after 2000-01. And it'll be their 20th season played in 2020-21 (again, without a lockout, it would have been their 21st season). 

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Their 10th was celebrated in 2001/02 and their 20th was celebrated in the 2011-12 season, so their 30th being in 2021-22 follows that.

15 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Their 10th was celebrated in 2001/02 and their 20th was celebrated in the 2011-12 season, so their 30th being in 2021-22 follows that.

It's odd that Tampa and Ottawa wore 20th and 25th anniversary patches in different years, isn't it? 

Tampa's 20th was in 2012-13 and 25th was in 2017-18...both 20 and 25 years and seasons after 92-93. 

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's odd that Tampa and Ottawa wore 20th and 25th anniversary patches in different years, isn't it? 

Tampa's 20th was in 2012-13 and 25th was in 2017-18...both 20 and 25 years and seasons after 92-93. 

Could just be that Ottawa considers 1991-92 as their proper birth and celebrates anniversaries by that criteria instead of seasons played, since the team was awarded in December of 1990. It's consistently been like this, so that's the only explanation I can really think of.

8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Could just be that Ottawa considers 1991-92 as their proper birth and celebrates anniversaries by that criteria instead of seasons played, since the team was awarded in December of 1990. It's consistently been like this, so that's the only explanation I can really think of.

Tampa was awarded a franchise on Dec 6th, 1990...same day as Ottawa. If the premise is the team was awarded in 1990...shouldn’t their anniversaries have a 0 or 5 in them? 

”We were born in 1990, so our 20th anniversary will be 2011-12” makes no sense.

Consistently doing things the wrong way is not a good reason to keep doing them. 

i'm having a little trouble following everything clearly going back and forth, so I'm just gonna clarify how this situation typically goes for sports franchises.

Usually, teams celebrate "anniversaries", not "seasons". The anniversaries usually start from the first season played (like a wedding anniversary begins with the wedding day), not the year the team was awarded (similar to how a couple's wedding anniversary doesn't begin from the day of their engagement). Since the Senators first season played was 1992-93, their 30th anniversary season (not 30th season played) would be 2022-23.

Archived