Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

6 minutes ago, McCall said:

i'm having a little trouble following everything clearly going back and forth, so I'm just gonna clarify how this situation typically goes for sports franchises.

Usually, teams celebrate "anniversaries", not "seasons". The anniversaries usually start from the first season played (like a wedding anniversary begins with the wedding day), not the year the team was awarded (similar to how a couple's wedding anniversary doesn't begin from the day of their engagement).

Problem is that the Senators don't seem to follow that; their 10th, 20th and 25th anniversaries were 2001-02, 2011-12 and 2016-17, not 2002-03, 2012-13 and 2017-18. So either the Senators have completely :censored:ed up their own timeline or there's something going on here.

I mean, granted, it is the Senators; so timeline errors wouldn't be the most surprising thing in the world.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McCall said:

Since the Senators first season played was 1992-93, their 30th anniversary season (not 30th season played) would be 2022-23.

Because the lockout canceled a season...the Sens' 30th season actually played will be 2022-23 as well. 

In a regular scenario with no lockout, the Sens 30th season would have been 2021-22 and the anniversary year would be 2022-23. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's the same way the Hornets celebrated 30 years of Charlotte basketball in 2018/19 - obviously it wasn't referencing the actual amount of seasons, it was the 30th anniversary of the original Hornets team. Teams really need to decide if they celebrate anniversaries or seasons, but teams tend to go with anniversaries.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Because the lockout canceled a season...the Sens' 30th season actually played will be 2022-23 as well. 

In a regular scenario with no lockout, the Sens 30th season would have been 2021-22 and the anniversary year would be 2022-23. 

Ok. So then the 30th anniversary remains 2022-23. The 30th season PLAYED also is 2022-23. Well, that should be even easier to figure out. So if it's not, they're doing something wacky. I mean, the NHL marked their 100th season "of operations" for the calendar year of 2017, spanning two different seasons. Is Ottawa doing something like that?

1 minute ago, McCall said:

Ok. So then the 30th anniversary remains 2022-23. The 30th season PLAYED also is 2022-23. Well, that should be even easier to figure out. So if it's not, they're doing something wacky. I mean, the NHL marked their 100th season "of operations" for the calendar year of 2017, spanning two different seasons. Is Ottawa doing something like that?

Sort of but the Sens didn't extend the anniversary celebration to the first part of the next season like the NHL did. 

So it's just wacky. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:07 AM, nash61 said:

But we all know they should have gone for the 2007 updated logo...

For some reason most of the fans seem to hate it. I don't mind it (I have a hat with the logo on it), but personally I like the wings. I think the best move would've been to use something that blends the two. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Sort of but the Sens didn't extend the anniversary celebration to the first part of the next season like the NHL did. 

So it's just wacky. 

Alright, then they're just confusing everyone and it ain't worth the hassle. I say kick em out of the league. Or, if they want to stay, they have to win in a deathmatch with a group of grizzly bears and the ghost of Gary Coleman.

13 hours ago, CDunn said:

I do wish there were some black along the hem. The black pants kind of help fill that role, but when it's worn by a fan it will look like it's missing something. I think something along the lines of what Vegas' hem looks like would work. Thick black hem stripe topped with red stripe the same thickness as the red on the sleeves.

Also wish the red sleeve stripes were a bit farther apart. I'd like the numbers to sit between the stripes instead of on top of them.

Having the black band would have looked fine for sure, but I actually prefer how the single red band coordinates with the sleeve stripes.

Either way, if I was a fan, I’d just wear black pants with my jersey. Problem solved. 😂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

For some reason most of the fans seem to hate it.

Yeah, I've seen multiple comments saying how the updated logo "is way too cartoony" and "it belongs in the ECHL", all while they refuse to take off their nostalgia goggles and celebrate a logo that's stuck in the 90s. It infuriates me honestly.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Maybe they'll grow on me in time. I certainly do like Ottawa returning to being a black-dominant team (as @Sportsaid, there's more than enough red-then-black teams in the league), but I have a hard time looking past the sense of missed opportunity.

As for the white sweater/black breezers/hem striping concern with the black stripe - as I said previously, one way to get around the black one getting lost could've probably been to switch around which one goes where. The black one doesn't get lost if it has a red stripe separating it from blending into the breezers.

To me, this would've been the perfect Ottawa uniform trio:

spacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

For some reason most of the fans seem to hate it. I don't mind it (I have a hat with the logo on it), but personally I like the wings. I think the best move would've been to use something that blends the two. 

spacer.png

I generally don't like the updated 2D logo, and the hybrids that I have seen put together by some don't work for me either. But this comes quite close. Except for the cape flourishes - they just look a bit slapped on and tacky to me. Anyway, happy they stuck with the original 2D logo - it looks good.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

I generally don't like the updated 2D logo, and the hybrids that I have seen put together by some don't work for me either. But this comes quite close. Except for the cape flourishes - they just look a bit slapped on and tacky to me. Anyway, happy they stuck with the original 2D logo - it looks good.

Damn!!!  That is so much better then the original/current.  Also better then the unused... Get this to the Senators... ASAP!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

22 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

To me, this would've been the perfect Ottawa uniform trio:

Hide contents

spacer.png

So close... but the '97 version with the black numbers on the arm was both more visually pleasing (in my opinion, at least) and more legible from the press box.

thecatch.jpg

26 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I feel like I’m the only person here who loves the 3D senator. I hated the jersey design but loved all the logos and the font used on the edge uniforms. 

I never hated the 3D logo and always felt like I was one of the few who didn't mind it. Yes the jersey was disappointing. I prefer the 2D logo though, it's more classic and feels less cartoony.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

I feel like I’m the only person here who loves the 3D senator. I hated the jersey design but loved all the logos and the font used on the edge uniforms. 

I liked their number font. What is it? It's not quite Copperplate. Modified Copperplate? It fit well, whatever it was, and the sans-serif NOBs actually complemented it rather than clashed with it (so it goes in typography). But yeah, the jersey design was terrible. So was the 3D senator. Sorry.

One more time for the world: the 2000s laurel-leaf black sweater with the updated 2D logo would have been perfect. I wish they would have gone in that direction from, if not day one, at least day one of the Edge era.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, dannykraft said:

The updated 3D logo unveiled in '07 was much better than the original 3D, but it was still a massive downgrade over the 2D. It's like if Nashville had decided to switch to this logo:

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The updated 3D logo unveiled in '07 was much better than the original 3D, but it was still a massive downgrade over the 2D. It's like if Nashville had decided to switch to this logo:

spacer.png

Side note of sorts, but I’d forgotten just how many colors that Predators logo had. I counted 10! That’s way too many. It might have worked for a Saturday morning cartoon character, but it really didn’t work here.

I’ve also never understood why the Predators insisted on making the teeth look chrome-y back then, either. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived