Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I can't imagine how anyone involved in management of the Ottawa Senators could look at these logos and come to the conclusion that the mark on the left is the more well-designed, aesthetically-attractive of the two. It's absolutely mind-boggling to me. The floating plume... the alien, lizard-man visage... the rudimentary overall styling - the mark on the left strikes me as inferior in every way.   

Kx1kw3rm.png?1 j91A7nYm.png

The original does have a unique shape, but that's where it ends. The new one is almost the perfect update. Someone in management felt a little too nostalgic and made a terrible logo decision, for all the wrong reasons. I can't even use the argument that they didn't want to pay another design group because, as your post points out, they already have a updated 2D centurion ready to use.

The Ottawa Senators had one job. And it was one of the simplest tasks.....

48 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

j91A7nYm.png

They could do away with the red outline, and have a distinct split between the helmet and roundel, but this is easily the best logo they ever had!

I saw, I came, I left.

48 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I can't imagine how anyone involved in management of the Ottawa Senators could look at these logos and come to the conclusion that the mark on the left is the more well-designed, aesthetically-attractive of the two. It's absolutely mind-boggling to me. The floating plume... the alien, lizard-man visage... the rudimentary overall styling - the mark on the left strikes me as inferior in every way.   

I know this board loves the updated 2D logo, but within the fanbase the original is the clear favourite. I prefer the wings (Detroit, St. Louis, and Philadelphia are proof that wings look great on a hockey jersey), but would have liked to see a bit more of an update than simply changing some red trim to gold. Don't know why they wouldn't just bring back the original verbatim.

48 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Could it be that they refused to use the =O= full time because they didn't want anymore to interpret it as a zero?

That joke is as old & overplayed as the Habs toilet seat line. 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

The old logo has the cape ends, which could be fixed on the new logo, but there's something else. The new logo is very detailed, too detailed. It's not on the level of this logo for example

9338f72e329a6de9ccee5be67cca3daf.png

but the old logo is still works better as a primary logo because it's simpler. 

Another thing that has always irked me about the old logo. The rotational position. It makes the head look like its reclining. Even a rotational turn 10-degree clockwise like the newer logo would be a huge improvement.

hjvSVj0.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

The old logo has the cape ends, which could be fixed on the new logo, but there's something else. The new logo is very detailed, too detailed.

Completely disagree. The updated 2D logo is simpler, bolder and cleaner. It eliminates the thin outlines around the wings and plume. All done to better execute in smaller applications such as embroidery on hat. It corrects the rotation of the face, attaches the plume and more importantly IMO, it's now a circle, so it could be centered as a jersey crest.

The wings of the old logo create an off-centered visual with the wings so the logo as a whole is centered, whereas your eye wants to center the circle.

In addition the, the updated 2D adds a nice nod to the city of Ottawa because the cape is taken from the city flag.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ottawa#/media/File:Flag_of_Ottawa,_Ontario.svg

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1994_95_Troy_Murray_Ottawa_Senators_Game_Worn_Jersey_Team_Letter_Photo_Match-4822-128.html

Not sad to see the end of the current Senators logo.  Everything the team did in 2007 was a downgrade, even with the uniform inconsistencies.  A jersey with the updated, 2D centurion would have been great but I respect their decision to go with the logo they had the most success in.  They also get to capitalize on the "vintage 90's" trend which, for a team established in 1992 with no Stanley Cup, I don't think is a bad move.

This is going to be a huge upgrade after 13 years of that awful template and awkwardly shaped logo.

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

It's all true. But don't get me wrong: the original Senators logo was cool for its time. It looks like it's been around since before 1992, it's a striking color combination, and even though it's not literally a Roman senator, it's impressionistic in a way where you get what they were going for anyway and find it pretty clever. But the updated logo really lays bare all the design flaws of the original to the point where you can't look at the old one without noticing the too-thin line work, or the disconnected helmet, or the cape that doesn't exactly read as a cape. It does what a logo update should do. But the Senators organization can't do what they're supposed to do, so now we're stuck with the flaws of the old logo but a tiny bit worse. p.s.: how's the new arena plan coming?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I know this board loves the updated 2D logo, but within the fanbase the original is the clear favourite.

It’s almost like they went to a Cup with the old logo and the fan base is clouded by nostalgia.

Honestly, a hybrid between the two would be fine, but I can’t for the life of me understand how anyone can look at the face of the original and think it’s even remotely up to par. That is the face of someone who’s designer doesn’t know what a face looks like. That looks like how I drew a face when I first started learning how to use vector programs. Literally every single part of the logo consists of curved lines and circles, but the face is a bunch of straight lines. It all just baffles me.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The dig on Ottawa has been that there are too many Leafs fans for them to make a go of it, but Ottawa is twice as close to Montreal as it is to Toronto. (In your head you would think it's equidistant between the two big bases of power as a textbook Canadian compromise, but nope!) If anything, their issue has been being unable to shore up the Quebec side of the region, not helped by the fact that the arena is far west of downtown and probably a real pain in the ass to get to from Gatineau.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I know this board loves the updated 2D logo, but within the fanbase the original is the clear favourite. I prefer the wings (Detroit, St. Louis, and Philadelphia are proof that wings look great on a hockey jersey), but would have liked to see a bit more of an update than simply changing some red trim to gold. Don't know why they wouldn't just bring back the original verbatim.

That joke is as old & overplayed as the Habs toilet seat line. 

How many fans in Ottawa really even know about the updated logo?  Has there even been any merch made with it?

3 minutes ago, M4One said:

How many fans in Ottawa really even know about the updated logo?  Has there even been any merch made with it?

From what I've seen on Reddit/Twitter fans really do not like the update. I think that's ridiculous, but it is what it is I guess.

43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The dig on Ottawa has been that there are too many Leafs fans for them to make a go of it, but Ottawa is twice as close to Montreal as it is to Toronto. If anything, their issue has been being unable to shore up the Quebec side of the region, not helped by the fact that the arena is far west of downtown and probably a real pain in the ass to get to from Gatineau.

Exactly; being sandwiched between the two largest markets in Canada isn't going to be fun for any team, let alone one that's barely even servicing their own fanbase to the best possible extent. Ottawa's literally the Canadian Coyotes; they'd probably be a hell of a lot better off if they just had an arena that wasn't way out by friggin' Stittsville, of all places, and basically in the middle of farmer country.

To get from Gatineau to the arena is 29 minutes by itself, and the return trip would be similar; even for a great team, I'm not exactly sure I'd want to spend 58 minutes just driving to and from the arena. Even just from Ottawa proper is only 9 minutes shorter in total; so still 40 minutes of driving. And both those numbers don't take into account any really bad traffic.

An arena on the LeBreton Flats would be 14 minutes from Gatineau; I think that'd be way more manageable for both downtown fans and potential fans on the other side of the Ottawa River.

6 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I prefer the larger helmet plume of the left logo (if it were connected to the helmet), as well as the placement of the chevrons and the smaller white outline instead of the bold red the right logo uses

Archived