Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

I don't think they necessarily need to add gold, but two stripes on each sleeve and a stripe at the bottom is just kind of lame. Maybe it will look better one the numbers and name/number are added... But I have seen dozens of concepts from people on this board and others that blow this design out of the water.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, WSU151 said:

Those are all alternates, plus Buffalo added white stripes to the new unis. 

It is interesting that adidas added white to the Buffalo stripes because the crest had a lot of white, but they refrained from adding gold stripes or accents to the Sens jersey even though the new Sens crest is very gold-heavy. 

They also all look like the low end jerseys you see at Canadian Tire and can't quite tell if they're a crappy knock off or not. 😂

32 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I wish they'd hurry up and release the actual jersey.  What's the point in holding off on the reveal now that it's been leaked.

If I was a conspiratory nut, I'd say they're changing the design based on fan reactions. But this IS the Senators...plus, I somehow doubt they'd be able to make changes this quickly.

IIRC, their plan is to release it at the draft, though?

48 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I wish they'd hurry up and release the actual jersey.  What's the point in holding off on the reveal now that it's been leaked.

It's Ottawa.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:58 PM, Morgan33 said:

I think the decision to omit white was influenced by recent trends, though I could be reading too much into it.

Drbjzam.jpg

You're definitely reading too much into it. The team is bringing back their inaugural jerseys exactly as they were, not unveiling some sort of new design. 

On 9/16/2020 at 3:08 PM, WSU151 said:

Those are all alternates, plus Buffalo added white stripes to the new unis. 

It is interesting that adidas added white to the Buffalo stripes because the crest had a lot of white, but they refrained from adding gold stripes or accents to the Sens jersey even though the new Sens crest is very gold-heavy. 

The Canucks jerseys don't have any navy, there's no red stripes on the Jets' set, and no one thinks the Blackhawks need to incorporate blue, green, yellow, or orange into their uniforms. A jersey isn't required to use every colour from the logo. Black, red, and white are the traditional Ottawa sports colours, much like black & gold in Pittsburgh.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

If I was a conspiratory nut, I'd say they're changing the design based on fan reactions.

I'm not sure what fan reactions you're talking about. The team literally made this change because of surveys sent to season ticket holders. Other than some minor nitpicks, every reaction I've seen has been positive. 

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm not sure what fan reactions you're talking about. The team literally made this change because of surveys sent to season ticket holders. Other than some minor nitpicks, every reaction I've seen has been positive. 

It's been positive, but the logo's reaction has been kinda mixed; people like the 2D logo in general, but it does seem as though there's a divide between an updated version and the strict original camps. Same with the jerseys; there's the white stripe-camp and the white stripeless camp.

I wouldn't be shocked if they're maybe experimenting a little behind the scenes based on what's been said. It does really complicate things that merch is already out there, though.

13 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's been positive, but the logo's reaction has been kinda mixed; people like the 2D logo in general, but it does seem as though there's a divide between an updated version and the strict original camps. Same with the jerseys; there's the white stripe-camp and the white stripeless camp.

I wouldn't be shocked if they're maybe experimenting a little behind the scenes. Complicates things that merch is apparently already out there, though.

It doesn't seem like there was ever going to be a design that would please everyone, so I can't blame them for taking the safe route and bringing back a throwback look relatively unchanged. It's better than overthinking things and ending up like the LA Rams.

The draft is going to be the franchise's biggest day in a long time, so I'm expecting the rebrand will be centered around it. Either they have an unveiling before the first pick, or they wait until day 2 so they can involve some of the new prospects.

15 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

If I was a conspiratory nut, I'd say they're changing the design based on fan reactions. But this IS the Senators...plus, I somehow doubt they'd be able to make changes this quickly.

IIRC, their plan is to release it at the draft, though?

I can't imagine the team making any last-minute changes. Looking at the calendar, pre-covid, they likely had the final look approved and finalized in what, January-February? Merchandise, as we already know, has been manufactured already, and we've already seen leaked listings for the jerseys. Too late to change anything at this point. They've likely been sitting on everything since June.

12 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It doesn't seem like there was ever going to be a design that would please everyone, so I can't blame them for taking the safe route and bringing back a throwback look relatively unchanged. It's better than overthinking things and ending up like the LA Rams.

The draft is going to be the franchise's biggest day in a long time, so I'm expecting the rebrand will be centered around it. Either they have an unveiling before the first pick, or they wait until day 2 so they can involve some of the new prospects.

Like many fans, I was hoping for a slightly modernized version of the 2D logo - same design, just like... redraw it, if that makes sense. But you're right, they went with the safe route. Fans like me who wanted a modernized version have already gotten over it and are happy to see the old logo back. I'm excited about finally having a nice new winter tuque with the 2D sens logo, after I lost my old one ages ago... the jerseys are great minus the shoulder logo that really should be the heritage "O" but whatever. It's still a 8.5/10 decision (depending on potential third jersey) and that's the best marks this organization has gotten in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Didn't even bother with a hype cycle lmao, just plopped it out on social media. Peak Melnyk Sens.

Hype cycles are often overrated. I'm fine with just changing it instead of "Coming soon.....................................Get ready........................Are you ready............................" tweets. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They had a vastly superior profile logo they released in 2007 and then just never ever actually used it. Going back to the old logo instead of using the better new logo is a very Ottawa Senators thing to do. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, Sport said:

They had a vastly superior profile logo they released in 2007 and then just never ever actually used it. Going back to the old logo instead of using the better new logo is a very Ottawa Senators thing to do. 

I don't completely disagree with you, but most of the fans seem to prefer the original. 95% of the social media reaction I'm seeing so far is positive, and this is coming from a fanbase that looks for any excuse to criticize their organization/ownership.

8 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't completely disagree with you, but most of the fans seem to prefer the original. 95% of the social media reaction I'm seeing so far is positive, and this is coming from a fanbase that looks for any excuse to criticize their organization/ownership.

Can you blame them tough ? 

spacer.png

Took this from their official website; it's probably the best look we've got so far at the new logo.

spacer.png

Looks like it's not completely the same as the vintage; the line weights have been changed slightly around the plume. That gold cape is gonna bug me, though. And I feel like they could've taken the opportunity to edit the face a bit if they were already changing the logo.

57 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Hype cycles are often overrated. I'm fine with just changing it instead of "Coming soon.....................................Get ready........................Are you ready............................" tweets. 

This is true - but hoping they at least thought ahead and got some nice professional marketing photos done of the new jerseys for unveiling... given the fact that they uploaded what looks like a 20dpi low-res pixelated logo to Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if they post some flipphone camera shots of the new jerseys coming out of a box somewhere in China and call it a day.

Archived