Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Is four division titles, the President's Trophy, the Prince of Wales Trophy and a cast of alumni like Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Danny Alfredsson, Marian Hossa and Dominik Hasek considered a "legacy of failure" now? That's the kind of term I'd use to describe the Washington Snyders, New York Knicks or Cleveland Browns, not the late 90's-mid 2000's Ottawa Senators.

The modern Senators organization should not try to look like the Silver Seven. They're not that franchise, they should not pretend to be that franchise. The current org has a look associated with successful teams, they should look to that before looking to cosplaying as a different franchise altogether.

It's not Stanley Cups, which the Silver Seven had. 

Answer me this, what the heck do Roman centurions have to do with Canadian senators? I'd much rather take an O+Peace Tower logo or plain "O" over anything with the Roman theme.

They should try to look like the Silver Seven as much as possible. If anything, it honors a deeper legacy of Ottawa hockey than trying to go all "Roman."

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the 'literal depiction of the name' argument has been beaten to death here.

As far as I'm concerned the 2D senator is so many leagues better than the 3D one and the purported striping is a gargantuan improvement, Roman theme making sense or not, its hard to see this as anything other than a drastic improvement.

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The white accent stripes on the black jersey always looked better to me and represents more of when the team really became fun to watch in the late 90s

1998-99 Damian Rhodes Ottawa Senators Game Worn Jersey - Team ...

edit: It sounds like they will keep the double red arm stripes (without white accent stripes), which will still be okay with me. 

If the Senators do decide to omit white trim on their blacks, the red needs to be bright and vibrant to keep it from being muddied up on the black base and black striping on the whites. 

I do hope the updated 2D centerion logo becomes the new crest. Good riddance to the "Mark Messier stare" logo.

47 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Answer me this, what the heck do Roman centurions have to do with Canadian senators? I'd much rather take an O+Peace Tower logo or plain "O" over anything with the Roman theme.

Pretty sure the logo is officially considered a Roman legatus (essentially a high-ranking general), and not a centurion. And the O by itself is still playing dress up as a team that this franchise is not and should not try to be. This isn't the 1920's-30's Senators team, it's a 1992 expansion club with the same name. Own your own legacy, don't cling to a legacy that isn't from your franchise.

The original Senators are the city's hockey history, they are not the history of the modern Senators. They're different franchises. And honestly? The O is a boring as sin logo. It's literally just an O. There's nothing about it that's visually interesting, and I have yet to see an O+Peace Tower logo that really makes me love the concept of combining them both.

47 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

They should try to look like the Silver Seven as much as possible. If anything, it honors a deeper legacy of Ottawa hockey than trying to go all "Roman."

They can do that with their alternates like many other teams do with really old-school designs. It's not like the O+barberpole design defines Ottawa hockey; the GeeGee's use a maroon and white jersey without a hint of barberpole and the WHA Nationals were red, white and blue with nary a hint of barberpole. The OHL 67's use a version of it, sure, but that's the only major team in Ottawa that uses the barberpole as a primary look. The B-Sens use it, but that's Belleville, not Ottawa.

10 minutes ago, Point1 said:

Disappointing. LD's mockups look very nice but the black and red is a recipe for on-screen mush. Especially on the white jerseys that red is going to absolutely get lost in the black.

spacer.png

The home shouldn't look too dissimilar to this Blackhawks jersey, really. Just remove the white stripe.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Is four division titles, the President's Trophy, the Prince of Wales Trophy and a cast of alumni like Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Danny Alfredsson, Marian Hossa and Dominik Hasek...

And four playoff eliminations by the Toronto Maple Leafs 😏

2 hours ago, Point1 said:

Disappointing. LD's mockups look very nice but the black and red is a recipe for on-screen mush. Especially on the white jerseys that red is going to absolutely get lost in the black.

The Devils have the same problem on the white jerseys. The Sens currently have red/black together on the white jerseys too. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I know I flip-flop on this issue a lot, but going towards Silver Seven Dress-Up would be ideal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Modernized barberpole is the proper way to go. 

This with the new unused 2D logo was the best option I've seen.

I also think the version with the white stripes was the superior of the 90s versions.

But my biggest concern that with two stripes on the sleeves and one on the hemline that they're going to be a red/black Toronto

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Devils have the same problem on the white jerseys. The Sens currently have red/black together on the white jerseys too. 

Yes, they do have that problem. Although they've thickened the red (probably to address it).

The Sens have big blocks of colour on their current jersey, not thin stripes. I'm still pretty skeptical that the red is gonna stand out at all.

As for HD, here's a 720p screencap of Hurricanes highlights in their new black and red jerseys that have essentially the same colours as the Sens ones will. You cannot honestly say that the red on these jerseys is apparent at all unless you look very closely.

JRYkabR.png

4 hours ago, Point1 said:

To be fair, not many people are watching sports in 480p with horrible interlacing these days.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

45 minutes ago, MDGP said:

To be fair, not many people are watching sports in 480p with horrible interlacing these days.

Then look at the post I made right above yours of 720p. The problem doesn't go away with a resolution upgrade. Red on black doesn't pop on video no matter what.

33 minutes ago, Point1 said:

Then look at the post I made right above yours of 720p. The problem doesn't go away with a resolution upgrade. Red on black doesn't pop on video no matter what.

Honestly, you might want to get your color vision checked, because I have zero problem picking out the red on those jerseys. Is it the MOST vibrant color scheme? Nah. But it'll be fine.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, MDGP said:

Don't underestimate how many people rely on www.watch-online-hockey-sports.slovenia

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The modern Senators organization should not try to look like the Silver Seven. They're not that franchise, they should not pretend to be that franchise. The current org has a look associated with successful teams, they should look to that before looking to cosplaying as a different franchise altogether.

They chose the name to honour the original Senators, so why shouldn't they try to look like them? The Washington Nationals basically brought back the old Senators look. The Charlotte Hornets dress like the franchise that currently plays in New Orleans. If the NHL & MLB bring franchises back to Quebec you can bet we'll see the Nordiques & Expos logos return.

The current iteration of the Sens has had some moderate success, but not to the point that the centurion identity is untouchable. Change the Bs to Os on these and you've got a perfect look that could stand alongside the league's best long after the wave of '90s nostalgia wears off:

spacer.png

Archived