Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The dig on Ottawa has been that there are too many Leafs fans for them to make a go of it, but Ottawa is twice as close to Montreal as it is to Toronto. (In your head you would think it's equidistant between the two big bases of power as a textbook Canadian compromise, but nope!) If anything, their issue has been being unable to shore up the Quebec side of the region, not helped by the fact that the arena is far west of downtown and probably a real pain in the ass to get to from Gatineau.

Well traditionally anglophones would be Leafs fans and francophones would be Habs fans. Most people in the city when I was growing up adopted their parents' team, and the city didn't have a team when parents became hockey fans. My mom & dad were fans of Montreal & Boston respectively, but shifted allegiances once the Sens came onto the scene.  

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Another thing that has always irked me about the old logo. The rotational position. It makes the head look like its reclining. Even a rotational turn 10-degree clockwise like the newer logo would be a huge improvement.

I disagree. The original looks like he's looking upward. 

On 7/18/2020 at 8:56 AM, habsfan1 said:

T2v8I91.png

I attempted something like this and gave up pretty early on. It doesn't look right. It makes me dislike the new face more than the old one. I'm much more in favour of leaving the old face in place, and that's saying something because I do think that's probably the weakest aspect of the original logo. But yeah, this just looks wrong to me. A severely compromised design-by-committee logo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

36 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I attempted something like this and gave up pretty early on. It doesn't look right. It makes me dislike the new face more than the old one. I'm much more in favour of leaving the old face in place, and that's saying something because I do think that's probably the weakest aspect of the original logo. But yeah, this just looks wrong to me. A severely compromised design-by-committee logo.

My mash-up was a quick design for fun. But I do think it's better than straight up using the dated 90s logo.

The 90s logo has a unique shape that stands out. But that aside, it's too dated to be brought back full-time. It was a good logo for at the time they were using it.

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

My mash-up was a quick design for fun. But I do think it's better than straight up using the dated 90s logo.

The 90s logo has a unique shape that stands out. But that aside, it's too dated to be brought back full-time. It was a good logo for at the time they were using it.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that it can be redesigned to look a bit more modern, I'm just saying yeah, this isn't it.

10 hours ago, Bayne said:

How is the face that looks like a stoic human “wrong,” and how is the face that looks like a papier-mâché Michael Myers mask better?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

How is the face that looks like a stoic human “wrong,” and how is the face that looks like a papier-mâché Michael Myers mask better?

Do you think that those two logos fuse together well? That's all I'm saying.

Y'know, I thought I would like the red being gone; but now that I've seen it, I think the red is necessary.  For as much as their identity is as red and black, the logo becomes even more heavily gold without that red outline.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think the extra gold will look fine if the sleeve and back numbers are white (or black) with red outlines. 

Kinda thinking it'll look better in full jersey context. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, Bayne said:

I think that concept combines the best elements of both versions of the 2D logo. The updated face & helmet is great, but I prefer the bigger plume & wings from the original. 

On 7/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, -kj said:

Y'know, I thought I would like the red being gone; but now that I've seen it, I think the red is necessary.  For as much as their identity is as red and black, the logo becomes even more heavily gold without that red outline.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, WSU151 said:

I think the extra gold will look fine if the sleeve and back numbers are white (or black) with red outlines. 

Kinda thinking it'll look better in full jersey context. 

Wj2BOsa.png

Kno5Ac6.png

cXk8lba.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

27 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

cXk8lba.png

Top version, perhaps with thinner gold stripes.  I think I'd lean more for a red base than black, but I can also understand wanting to separate them visually from the Habs.

(I also hate the Peace Tower logo and would definitely change the font, but that's secondary.)

POTD 2013-08-22

6 minutes ago, -kj said:

I think I'd lean more for a red base than black, but I can also understand wanting to separate them visually from the Habs.

There's also the problem of having so many red-dominant teams already in the Eastern Conference; the Habs, Hawks, Wings, Canes, Devils, Caps and Panthers are all red-dominant at home. By contrast, the only black-dominant team in the East currently is Pittsburgh; it makes Ottawa stand out more amongst the other Eastern Conference teams to be black-dominant as opposed to red-dominant.

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Hawks

The Hawks are in the Western Conference.

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

the only black-dominant team in the East currently is Pittsburgh

Boston also primarily wears black.

Neither of those really take away from your point, but I'm a bunch of jerk. :D

POTD 2013-08-22

6 minutes ago, -kj said:

Boston also primarily wears black.

Neither of those really take away from your point, but I'm a bunch of jerk. :D

Doh! I personally prefer the brown/gold look, but I don't know why I completely forgot Boston was black-dominant. 😛

On 7/18/2020 at 11:30 AM, Brian in Boston said:

I can't imagine how anyone involved in management of the Ottawa Senators could look at these logos and come to the conclusion that the mark on the left is the more well-designed, aesthetically-attractive of the two. It's absolutely mind-boggling to me. The floating plume... the alien, lizard-man visage... the rudimentary overall styling - the mark on the left strikes me as inferior in every way.   

Kx1kw3rm.png?1 j91A7nYm.png

The rendering of the face yes, but everything else in the left logo looks better imo.

38 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

The rendering of the face yes, but everything else in the left logo looks better imo.

Disagree strongly on that; the left logo looks like an 80's-early 90's logo in all the worst ways. The lines are too thinly-weighted, there's elements that are left floating for no real reason that the update corrects (the plume of the helmet) and it's pretty basic in terms of detail. Obviously too much detail hurts a logo, but too little can also be an issue.

The only element I think it has over the update is the wings, and those can be added on without much hassle.

Archived