Let’s all Choose the Best Pittsburgh Penguins Logo Ever

Let’s all Choose the Best Pittsburgh Penguins Logo Ever

July 14, 2020 - 21:12 PM

Our Best Logo Ever! Tournament takes to the ice as we take a look at our first hockey team so far, the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins have won five Stanley Cups in their fifty-plus seasons, including two separate Back-to-Back titles in 1991 & ’92 and again in 2016 & ’17.

Read More...

Went with the current logo and RoboPen. I'm such a sucker for 80s/90s nostalgia. The first puck I ever owned was a RoboPen puck in 1994 or so. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like the essence of the classic Skating Penguin, but I wish they had found a way to keep his scarf. Li'l guy needs to keep warm out there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The current-original cup colors and skating penguin. Honorable mentions-robo penguin or the penguins roundel from the light blue era. Just my .02 and since I live there and am a fan, my .02 will be doubled to .04 😛

KISSwall09.jpg

16 hours ago, hormone said:

The current-original cup colors and skating penguin. Honorable mentions-robo penguin or the penguins roundel from the light blue era. Just my .02 and since I live there and am a fan, my .02 will be doubled to .04 😛

100%. I understand the love for robo-pen, but their current unis and logo are perfect. 

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Went with the current logo and RoboPen. I'm such a sucker for 80s/90s nostalgia. The first puck I ever owned was a RoboPen puck in 1994 or so. 

Logos in the 90's that were hated have become so popular now. 

I always loved the RoboPen

21 hours ago, Ark said:

No question, the haters are blinded by bias unrelated to the logo itself

Pittsburgh_Penguins%C2%AE.png

I've always loved that logo, and the '96 third is still my favorite uniform the franchise has worn.  But the updated skating penguin on the athletic gold triangle just nicks this now.  If we were still in the vegas gold days, Robo-Pen wins in a runaway. 

Robopen is my vote, too. I get why the original is popular, but I've always loved how elegantly the Robopen refines the concept into one contained shape rather than adding multiple shapes on top of one another; it's a visually-cleaner design. Had it come about a season or two earlier, I have to wonder if the skating logo even returns at all.

I kinda liken skating penguin / Robo Pen to helmet dolphin / cruise-line dolphin.

In both cases, the team went from a cartoon that was fairly iconic and associated with success to something that probably looked a little less silly but also had a little less personality.  For some reason, the Dolphins move is almost universally hated while the Penguins move is probably just over the 50% mark in terms of being liked.

As much as I'd like to call out that inconsistency, I can't because I hate robo pen and I love the current Dolphins logo.  So I'm just as inconsistent.  So why do I hate the cartoon Orioles bird and the helmet-wearing dolphin yet I liked skating penguin?  I have no idea.  I should not like skating penguin.  But I do.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 7/14/2020 at 9:51 PM, Ark said:

It's more than just the logo and or Stanley Cups though that we F'n HATE about it. pigeon logo represents EVERYTHING howard ass hat baldwin

On 7/14/2020 at 9:51 PM, Ark said:

Courtesy of pittsburghhockey.net

Hanging up the Skates Gary Adams, an artist with Vance, Wright & Adams Design Group, came up with the “corporate-style” logo that was used on the shoulder patches until the start of the 2007-08 season. Adam’s said new Penguins’ owner Howard Baldwin wanted something more “marketable” and even considered changing the name back to the Hornets.”
“Baldwin said: ‘They’re gonna kill me for changing the logo, why not the name?’ ” recalled Adams. “We even looked at replacing gold with the Vegas Gold color scheme.” The design was met with skepticism and superstition. Loyal fans thought the logo change was a Baldwin gimimick simply to generate money in jersey sales. Others, including Gessner, thought the logo change would ruin the Pens’ mojo. “They just won the Stanley Cup two years in a row and they wanted to change the logo?” recalled Gessner. “I was stunned and saddened. They were really on a roll and they decided to change horses.

A) baldwin KNEW the Fanbase wasn't going to like it, yet he still did it
B) even the guy hired to Create the new logo DID NOT LIKE the idea of changing logos (hmmmmmmmmm)

Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post Gazette article

Cook: Baldwin's zeal led Penguins, NHL to ruin

Monday, February 17, 2003

The voice on the telephone was quiet, sad. "You're going to carve me up again, aren't you?" Howard Baldwin asked from Los Angeles.

Well, yeah.

Is anyone more responsible for the dire financial straits of not just the Penguins, but the entire NHL?

Baldwin cared deeply about the Penguins and their fans and, for a time in the 1990s, was the city's most beloved sports owner. But no one knew at the time he was keeping a winning team together by giving huge contracts to Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr and so many others that he didn't have the money to do the deals. It wasn't until the franchise filed for bankruptcy in October, 1998, that we realized just how reckless and foolish many of his decisions were with the players, with Spectacor Management Group, with Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh and with city and county officials.

Baldwin also must take blame for the NHL's rotten state. His free spending helped drive up player costs; the average salary is more than $1.6 million. He also was one of a few owners to vote against a lockout at the start of the 1994-95 season, then pushed for an onerous settlement after a 100-day work stoppage. If the owners had been able to break the union then, the league might not be facing a situation in which the Buffalo Sabres and Ottawa Senators also have gone bankrupt and more than two-thirds of the teams are expected to lose money this season.

How do you not carve away at that guy?

Baldwin, who runs a movie production company, acknowledged his hunger to have a winning team clouded his thinking at times. In a stunning admission, he said he reacted to big deals given to Anaheim's Paul Kariya and Philadelphia's Eric Lindros by overpaying Jagr with a $48 million contract in '97 against his better judgment and even as the team was hemorrhaging money.

"We have met the enemy and it is us," Baldwin said of the NHL owners. "We were all drinking the same Jimmy Jones Kool-Aid. How stupid was that?"

But Baldwin refused to second-guess the contract that started his problems -- Lemieux's six-year, $42-million deal after the '91 season. In Baldwin's defense, that contract would have turned out better if Lemieux hadn't had to sit out the 1994-95 season to recover from cancer treatments and then retired prematurely after the 1996-97 season.

"Mario might have been the only player who put people in the seats," Baldwin said. "A player like that should be paid the most."

Baldwin said he feared a "predator strike" -- a big-market team swooping in and making an offer for Lemieux that the Penguins couldn't have matched.

"Do you know what would have happened if I had let Mario go after the team had just won the Stanley Cup?" Baldwin asked.

"No, I'll never regret that contract. As for anyone who says that started the league's problems, they're naive. There's only one Mario. If the other owners listened to the agents who said that contract was the standard, that's their fault."

But Baldwin never quite could afford to pay Lemieux. He repeatedly had to ask Lemieux to defer money. By the time the franchise filed for bankruptcy, it still owed Lemieux more than $30 million.

Faced with an uncertain future because of Lemieux's retirement and still feeling the pain from the killer work stoppage, Baldwin had to bring in Boston millionaire Roger Marino as a new partner in '97. Marino still must regret the day. He later said he didn't realize just how bad many of Baldwin's decisions were.

Although the contract with SMG, which managed Mellon Arena, was cited as the overriding cause of the bankruptcy, it was Baldwin's deal with the city and county that still could force the Penguins out of town. In '97, he accepted a $12.9 million Band-Aid for club seats and other improvements at the arena instead of jumping on the Plan B bandwagon with the Pirates and Steelers, who built terrific new facilities.

"There was talk of new stadiums then, but no guarantees," Baldwin said. "I thought it was important to add the club seats without adding to our debt service. Those club seats are good seats. The arena isn't the problem there."

Told that team officials say the Penguins' only chance of staying in Pittsburgh is a new building, Baldwin said, "You're not talking to them now. You're talking to me. I've never believed a new arena will solve all of the problems. Look at Kevin McClatchy. How much did the Pirates' attendance drop off from year one to year two at their new ballpark?

"The arena isn't the problem. The problem is we've ended up gouging our local markets. People can't afford to keep paying those ticket prices night after night. Teams have to get their payrolls down."

That might have happened in '94 if the owners had been stronger. Baldwin said he had to vote for a settlement after the Penguins lost $25 million because of the work stoppage.

"As owners, we were totally unprepared. It will be different this next time. The owners will be prepared and committed [for a labor war in 2004]. I just hope the small-market clubs like Pittsburgh rule the day because that's the only way the league will survive."

Baldwin said it wasn't his decision -- but Marino's -- to file for bankruptcy. "I thought we still could have made it work. Other teams were losing more than us. But you had a situation where one owner didn't want to put more in and the other couldn't."

Only after a long pause did Baldwin predict that the Penguins will survive these terrible times.

"I just hope that everyone back there -- the mayor and the politicians -- gets behind Mario. The hockey fans there deserve it. They probably don't think much of me, but they're great fans."

It's no wonder Baldwin is rooting so hard for the Penguins.

If they don't make it, his fingerprints will be all over the corpse.

A - Pre SMG deal, the Pens got ALL the rights to NON Hockey Related Parking and Concession Revenue: Concerts, Disney on Ice, WWF, Monster Jam, etc all that went to the Pens. Gee, I bet that EXTRA NON HOCKEY Revenue could have helped pay the Players

B - The Civic Arena was 36yrs old in '97, compared to the 27yr old Three Rivers Stadium (Pirates / Steelers). 

C - Lets not forget about PensVision PAY PER VIEW Cable Channel. Home games were blacked out. you had to buy this PensVision Cable Channel in order to watch Home games on your tv at home. I believe Bill Wirtz did something similar to Black Hawks fans

The Pens whirlwind nose dive into it's 2nd Bankruptcy started when baldwin took ownership in the '91/'92 season
- the First major domino to fall in that nose dive is the Logo / Uniform changing to that pos pigeon logo

so please excuse me if I don't have Rainbow / Unicorn / Joy Joy feelings about the pigeon logo

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

We get it, Fitzy, you're not a fan of the RoboPen. That doesn't mean you have to constantly dump on it whenever it comes up.

Do Rangers Fans NOT Dump on the Gortons Fisherman logo?
Do Bruins fans NOT Dump on Pens fans when it comes to color scheme?

21 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Do Rangers Fans NOT Dump on the Gortons Fisherman logo?
Do Bruins fans NOT Dump on Pens fans when it comes to color scheme?

Doesn’t everyone dump on the fish sticks? 

And do Bruins fans actually care anymore that the Penguins are also black and gold? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived