Edmonton Eskimos/Elks CFL rebrand

Edubdesign

There's been a lot of discussion in American sports about Washington's NFL team changing its name. Up north, a similar discussion is being held with Edmonton's CFL team. Whether or not anything comes from it, I don't know - but I think I see a good rebrand opportunity.

The Edmonton team is currently called the Eskimos, named by a sportswriter from rival Calgary mocking how cold Edmonton winters were. Never mind that the term "Eskimo" isn't current (Inuit/Inuk people haven't been known as that for years) or accurate (the nearest traditional Inuit territory to Edmonton is hundreds and hundreds of miles away).

In the 1920s, the team was briefly renamed the Edmonton Elks for one year. That team made it to the Grey Cup and became the first team from western Canada to score a point and have a lead in a Grey Cup.

When I saw Elks as a team name, I saw an opportunity - a name with ideas that came with it, a name with historical context, a name without any controversy attached to it AND a name that works with the Eskimo's existing "EE" logo. It's a win-win-win for everybody. Edmonton also just happens to be right next door to some of the best elk territory in the province.

This rebrand includes a home, an away, a fauxback jersey paying tribute to the 1920s team and, just for kicks, a hunter orange jersey to be worn during elk hunting season - which is November in Alberta, covering the team's final game or two of the season.

I'm not proposing to rebrand the team (just) because the name might be or might not be racist. I'm proposing this as a design exercise and because, let's face it, the current name sucks. At least the current colours aren't bad.

mWdztlD.pngFpp39sG.pngiwQK7qQ.pngZN73SHJ.png

This could be part of a larger CFL rebranding series if I can be bothered and if I have time. Let's see how this goes over first though.

I can see why you went with "Elks", but it doesn't roll off the tongue for me. Partly due to there being three syllables in "Edmonton" and only one in "Elks," partly because of the Elks Club, and partly because the plural of "elk" is usually "elk."

Putting that aside, I don't think the elk antlers are strong enough to be a standalone element on the helmet. Maybe if you thicken them up, it could work, but it's a little too wispy and random as it is right now.

The antlers really don't work for me on the sleeve either. They're not a tight, compact design element like the Rams' horn used to be. I think just stick with some stripes and TV numbers.

The throwback uni is really cool! And I like the idea behind the orange jersey, but it gives off strong B.C. Lions vibes. Maybe a hunting (as opposed to military) camouflage pattern instead? With orange accents, of course; can't have the players blending in too much. ^_^ 

“Inuits” seems like a good choice as a name for Edmonton to me. It’s more politically correct, they don’t have to change much (just change the logo to “EI”) and it’s the same number of syllables. They’d just have to keep fans from dressing up like Inuits.

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

Guest darkpiranha

They don't even have to change the logo. Just make the mascot something else that starts with E. 

Excellence.   

Engineers is oil-adjacent. 

So is Erectors  

Elements 

Energy

Elephants  

Endeavors

Exorcists

I really dig the Elks name! It's historical, it sounds good (certainly better than the more formal Elk IMO), and it's just one letter off to the current short nickname.

The jersey concepts are cool too. I like the font you've chosen, and the design is a nice modernization of the team's current look.

I think the Eagles-style antler helmets are awesome, but I agree with what @officeglenn said about them being too wispy right now. You might go with a thickness closer to these antlers, and if it's still too flat, maybe you could try adding some tonal highlights to them (sorta like the Manitoba Moose logo.)

I also agree that you should just ditch the sleeve antlers or maybe replace them with a full-body running elk logo.

The orange alt is a cool idea, and I like that it could get a bit of synergy with the Oilers.

Nice work!

Elks is good, I like that choice. I don't think the antlers work in either application currently. I'd actually drop everything but the stripe on the sleeve, then put TV numbers on the shoulders, and then thicken up the helmet antlers or go with the EE logo. The current EE is a strong, existing brand that you mentioned would still work, so I'd at least go with an alternate helmet with the EE on it.

Took some advice. Got rid of the antlers on the shoulders (except for the alternate), beefed up the antler on the helmet and did some minor colour tweaks.

There's also some subtle forest camo on the shoulders of the alternate, too - "open season" and all.

jsCaMS3.png91oCpIX.pngFgApvvy.pngLloJ3gO.png

The overall design is cohesive and reminds me a lot of what the Minnesota Viking did with their most resent design. You definitely improved the elk antlers from your initial posting.

I would improve the color balance on the road by using a green base layer (instead of yellow).

Nice work.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

On 7/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, ItsSlothy said:

“Inuits” seems like a good choice as a name for Edmonton to me. It’s more politically correct, they don’t have to change much (just change the logo to “EI”) and it’s the same number of syllables. They’d just have to keep fans from dressing up like Inuits.

That last sentence is probably why it’s a good idea to not name teams after a race of people. As for the concept, I don’t think the Elk horn is strong on its own. Looks like it would disappear at a distance. Perhaps shortening it and making it thicker would help.

Edit: And you did just that. That’s what I get for not scrolling all the way down the page. I dig it.

Archived