Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Logos, Colours

On 7/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, dont care said:

But in that time they went from a red and gold team, to a navy and red team, to a black and volt team, to now back to a red and gold team. Tell me another team that has had such a hard time trying to even stick to a color scheme much less a uniform.

Denver Nuggets?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, chakfu said:

I'd been thinking of teams that have relatively established "alternate palettes", allowing true "clash" alts that are a totally different scheme. Works well for city jerseys. But many of these were used so briefly they're practically one-offs and don't count.  Who has an alternate palette with enough historical use to have traction?

Miami heat - vice

Cavaliers - orange blue

Hawks - blue/red

White Sox- r/w/b

Chargers - navy or royal

Nets r/w/b

Mavericks green blue

Grizzlies teal

Clippers sky blue/burnt orange

Lakers light blue/yellow

Others have potential, but not established enough

Hawks blue/green

Timberwolves- prince purple

Bulls - city flag

Jazz - desert sunset; purple/copper

Bucks green/purple

Marlins pastel foolishness

Wizards blue/gold/black; black/orange

Devils red/green

Canucks black/red/gold

Interesting that it's mostly nba that comes to mind.

I think Utah’s desert alts are extremely well-established and belong in the first group. 

Also, expanding your entry for the Chargers a bit: powder, royal, dark royal, navy, with yellow going from small but mighty trim color (1988-2006) all the way up to sometime pant color (originals, most of Fouts-era, and today). 

12 hours ago, DavidDunn21 said:

When talking incomprehensible convoluted color schemes in the NBA it goes

1. Jazz

2. Bucks

3. Cavs

4. Nuggets

Eh, I don't know about the Bucks? I would have them third or fourth, because at least green has remained over the years. The Cavs have to be a solid second place. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, kimball said:

Eh, I don't know about the Bucks? I would have them third or fourth, because at least green has remained over the years. The Cavs have to be a solid second place. 

Nuggets are certainly a weird one with the sky blue phase and the rainbow phase. Otherwise they've been relatively consistently blue/gold/red.

Bucks have just inexplicably subbed purple and blue for red.

I actually think of the Bucks as pretty consistently green, specifically a darker green than the Celtics. They've tried nearly every secondary color there is, sure, but the core hasn't shifted as much as other teams. (Is the current extra color black, or royal blue? Or maybe cream? Unclear.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 hours ago, Digby said:

I actually think of the Bucks as pretty consistently green, specifically a darker green than the Celtics. They've tried nearly every secondary color there is, sure, but the core hasn't shifted as much as other teams. (Is the current extra color black, or royal blue? Or maybe cream? Unclear.)

Sorry, not a mod or anything... But what does this have to do with the Hawks, or their new uniforms?

11 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Sorry, not a mod or anything... But what does this have to do with the Hawks, or their new uniforms?

We were talking about how many other teams have changed colors as much as the Hawks have.

Which actually makes this digression far more relevant than most of the page-12 conversations you see on these threads. 😛 

12 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

There's not much more to talk about as far as the Hawks go.  Why do you need to police every Atlanta thread?  Are you the mayor?  If so, I hope you win the fight against your trash-ass governer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Modern retro I really like them. Imo statement uni look nicest even If I prefer to have it in yellow instead of black. I hope City uni will be yellow. I wonder if they they gonna change "Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club" font because old one doesn't fit in current scheme.

4r2eer.png

On 8/2/2020 at 9:17 PM, L10nheart404 said:

The Hawks have come home to embrace something like a consistent visual identity.  By my count there are now only 4 teams left who still just do whatever.

Btw, the Bucks have worn cream or black as the solid/main color at least as much as the green.  They've only worn one green set since the rebrand.  If they were actually a team that was firmly established as a green team (like Boston) they should've had 2 or 3 green variations by now.  Milwaukee's chief marketing guy was on a podcast last month and basically confirmed a solid blue look is next.  The Bucks suck at this.

I must say, I’m mildly disappointed that we never got to see an alternate Volt uniform from the Hawks’ previous set.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 8/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, Gothamite said:

We were talking about how many other teams have changed colors as much as the Hawks have.

Which actually makes this digression far more relevant than most of the page-12 conversations you see on these threads. 😛 

Lol..oh ok. I was genuinely lost, and wondered how the topic switched to that. Thanks for the clarification.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, L10nheart404 said:

mod edit

I clearly asked a valid question too - are you the mayor of Atlanta?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/5/2020 at 7:45 AM, Chawls said:

I must say, I’m mildly disappointed that we never got to see an alternate Volt uniform from the Hawks’ previous set.

Nike_NBA_City_Edition_Uniform_Atlanta_Ha

Volt has never appealed to me as a color (especially next to red), but I always really liked this jersey because it made the volt work. It's a futuristic look done right and it functioned particularly well as a nod to the Pistol Pete era. A new look built around this could have been cool.

Side question, but did the team hardly ever wear these or something? Looking through google, it's practically impossible to find in-game or promo photos for this set. It's like the team tried to totally wipe their existence from the internet. 

spacer.png

15 hours ago, henburg said:

Nike_NBA_City_Edition_Uniform_Atlanta_Ha

Volt has never appealed to me as a color (especially next to red), but I always really liked this jersey because it made the volt work. It's a futuristic look done right and it functioned particularly well as a nod to the Pistol Pete era. A new look built around this could have been cool.

Side question, but did the team hardly ever wear these or something? Looking through google, it's practically impossible to find in-game or promo photos for this set. It's like the team tried to totally wipe their existence from the internet. 

I always felt that the volt next to red made the volt look gold too. This at least is a good application of the color.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I clearly asked a valid question too - are you the mayor of Atlanta?  

Guess I'm not going to get an answer to my question. ☹️ 

If I was the mayor of a major American city and was posting on the internet about sports uniforms, I certainly wouldn't out myself either, so I can only assume that the lack of answer is a confirmation that this poster is the mayor of Atlanta.  Madam Mayor - welcome to the forums!

On 8/5/2020 at 2:12 AM, DavidDunn21 said:

The Hawks have come home to embrace something like a consistent visual identity.  By my count there are now only 4 teams left who still just do whatever.

Btw, the Bucks have worn cream or black as the solid/main color at least as much as the green.  They've only worn one green set since the rebrand.  If they were actually a team that was firmly established as a green team (like Boston) they should've had 2 or 3 green variations by now.  Milwaukee's chief marketing guy was on a podcast last month and basically confirmed a solid blue look is next.  The Bucks suck at this.

But at least the Bucks have kept green in their identity for at least 50ish years.  I'm a little out of the loop on the Bucks' current identity, but doesn't it still have green, and isn't green included as at least a noticeable accent color on all jerseys (not including ridiculous and unnecessary 4th or 5th or 6th jersey sets)?  They've played around with their secondary colors a lot, but they've been consistent with keeping the green, and I give them a lot of credit for that.  Even if they do get a blue jersey (if they don't already have one), I would imagine they would include green on it.  I will always think of the Bucks as a "green" team.

I wouldn't compare the Bucks' and Celtics' marketing strategies, for (hopefully) obvious reasons.  The Bucks are going to have to try a bit harder than the Celtics to sell jerseys.  The Celtics can get away with having multiple green jerseys, and probably having decent sales on all of them.  The Bucks need to go with more of a "let's experiment with different colors of jerseys" strategy that most smaller-market and less popular teams have to try to sell more jerseys.  But their 50+ year jersey history shows that they are still, overall, a green team with a somewhat consistent identity.

Archived