Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Logos, Colours

1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

The Jordan jogo doesn't make sense. Aren't Atlanta and Charlotte rival cities? I know the Hornets don't really have rivals but it feels weird that Atlanta would become a Jordan team

Only thing I can think of is that the alternates for every team will be Jordan brand and primary home/away will be Nike? 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a major step in the right direction. The distasteful volt green has to go. 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

Only thing I can think of is that the alternates for every team will be Jordan brand and primary home/away will be Nike? 

Black will be a primary

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

Volt is probably gone so that's cool, but this looks pretty high school-ish.

What is it with Atlanta in black and red?

Almost all Atlanta's/Georgia most prominent teams feature red and black. Braves early 60s, UGA, Falcons, Hawks 90s-2007, Flames red/yellow, Atlanta United.. it's almost like Pittsburgh.

I get a southern , small HBCU vibe from this, does that make sense?  For that reason I kinda like it as an alt.   As a primary set, I think it will be ok with the right color balance.  It's been so long since their colors seemed right, and they had such a solid identity in the 80s and 90s.  Any mockups?

2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The uniforms fine, I'd hope black would be the alternate with red as the primary but I'll take it. I hope the rest of the packages isnt horrible. 

In today’s NBA ... does even matter anymore?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I might be the only person who was a fan of their previous identity and will be sad to see it go for something more generic. It was probably never meant to withstand the test of time but I’ll be sad to see the triangles and volt (especially once they toned it down) go. The wordmarks were always weirdly vertically stretched but otherwise it was great.

I don’t even know if I should be mad that the “away” uniform has the team name instead of the city anymore. The NBA clearly doesn’t care. My preference would be for the Hawks to be red heavy, but I guess we’ll just have to see what “edition” this is.  This looks heavily inspired by the light blue throwbacks from Trae’s rookie year, did those also have sideshadow numbers instead of a normal dropshadow?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I don't like it. The script has a small-town-print-shop feel to it, where they would have a varsity-serif set on hand that's otherwise blocky except for a curvy S and maybe a D and B. It ends up looking similar to, but not the same as, the Hornets' classic Rockwell Condensed script, but again, not quite there in that wholesale-knockoff way. The black/red field is already crowded in the NBA, which they could sidestep by being a mostly red and yellow/gold/volt team with only black highlights. The straight-up drop-shadow numbers look bad here as they do on the Lakers, another case of close but no cigar.

Overall, I think the Atlanta Hawks should be a fairly progressive team in terms of aesthetics. The franchise may be old, but I'd rather see the Hawks be a team for Atlanta, a place we generally think of as modern and dynamic these days, while the Braves, whose uniforms for the most part precede two relocations, are more a team for the greater Southeast and free from that. That can be the tessellation uniform they were doing, it can be an update of the Dominique Wilkins set, or even the one after that, but the Hawks should always be a little left of center and fun. This doesn't feel fun.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I have a feeling that this is an alternate, but it just looks too generic for my tastes. Not offensively ugly by any means, but the Hawks have too much cool visual history that they could draw from to go with a basic traditional look like this. It really does give off a rec league sort of vibe with the mismatch between the wordmark and numbers. 

The latest look wasn't perfect, but I really dug the way that it was completely new and felt daring in a way that was fitting for Atlanta. 

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, henburg said:

The latest look wasn't perfect, but I really dug the way that it was completely new and felt daring in a way that was fitting for Atlanta. 

With the City Edition uniforms, does it really matter anymore? So many designs have been ran through, it seems like you're bound to see a few retro inspired sets and some that's completely unique.

5 hours ago, kimball said:

In today’s NBA ... does even matter anymore?

It should. Unfortunately Nike's made it so it isn't. 

That uniform mockup is extremely underwhelming. I guess I missed that their no yellow outside of the numbers and wordmark. That brings it down a peg. I think somewhere in between this and their current set wouldn't be bad though, the previous font was nice, slap that on this and mess with the striping a tad. I think that would help this high school uniform a lot. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

The Hawks always do this and I hate it.

1. Unveil crazy looking new uniforms and wear it for a few seasons.

2. Revert back to something more normal and wear that for a few seasons.

3. Repeat.

All they had to do was switch volt to yellow.

bSLCtu2.png

You know, I don't hate it. I was set to dislike it as soon as we knew that they would use those drop shadowed block numbers just like the Skyhawks, but the font they picked for the wordmark fits so well in matching the number font but at the same time having the right amount of character to make it all look just interesting enough and very cohesive with a good color balance. And using the traditional yellow instead of volt looks so much better. Also, the angle of the shadow to the side is so much better than straight downwards that the Lakers use, SMH. Does it suck to have block numbers for a team that can use something more original and creative? Yes it does.

What comes to being generic, the first post-LeBron Cavs had laid the absolute floor for high school like looking uniforms, with Brooklyn having had given them a run for their money, and this doesn't come close. I could see it as a "stripped down, generic" fad that will not stand the test of time and them being not very relevant after a while, though.

I don't want anything resembling the Nique unis, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The Hawks always do this and I hate it.

1. Unveil crazy looking new uniforms and wear it for a few seasons.

2. Revert back to something more normal and wear that for a few seasons.

3. Repeat.

All they had to do was switch volt to yellow

Believe me, the message from the majority of the fan base was to go back to yellow, and get the kiddie style font and pattern off the main uniforms. They succeeded in that regard. The Hawks have a beautiful uniform set in almost every decade dating back to the 60s, up until that bland 2007-15 set. I was beating the table for the old font(80s-2007) to return, because it was unique to the Hawks in the NBA. But this new jersey is so much better to me.USATSI_13809940-e1578756944212-1024x682-gm5cm2vw9ib51.png

Archived