Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Logos, Colours

36 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

The Hawks also used the 2K team to "soft rollout" the eventual color change for the NBA team. The below tweet happened months before College Park even joined twitter.

Yep! I wrote a few posts about it early on in the NBA changes 2020 thread. Just connecting the dots, and using my imagination, these uniforms are pretty much exactly what I expected.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, henburg said:

I'm kind of shocked that the College Park Skyhawks connection isn't being talked about more, because based on this leak, the Hawks essentially were testing out their new look through their G League team-

Skyhawks_courtesy.jpg

1819_hwk_bc_1920_skyhawks_press_release.

The fonts and colors used are identical. I mean that's got to be a first, right? 

I wouldn’t call it testing it out. Plenty of g league teams match their nba counterpart. The skyhawks were just formed before the uniform redesign process was done. The second these were unveiled we knew what the hawks uniforms would look like. People just didn’t really talk about it 

These whole set reinforces the notion that this is a modern interpretation of the old St. Louis Hawks uniforms. There are differences, I realize, such as the color and arm hole trim, but both have the thick striped side paneling and the block-style typeface. 

It's an interesting choice; embracing this minimalist era of the NBA by referencing an earlier period in the club's history, even if it predates the move to its current city. 

EDIT: It looks like they carried the St. Louis look over to Atlanta in 1968, so the team can reference its history without actually mentioning that it once existed in another city. For example, here's the language about the use of "torch red" in the uniforms (bold emphasis mine): 

Red is a consistent thread throughout Atlanta Hawks teams from our beginning in 1968. 

Seems silly considering the franchise's only championship came while residing in St. Louis.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a fan of the team, I am loving these. The side striping is especially fun and uniquely patterned. Probably my only nitpick is the non-block S in the HAWKS wordmark and the new alternate logo that says HAWKS with two crescents on top and bottom. All in all, I'm looking really forward to buying one of these. 

Also, they announced grey as a color in that press release, which makes me believe they'll use it in a city uniform. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

For whatever reason, the black jersey leaked first and I skipped this thread.  But the white and red jerseys (minus corporate logos) are fantastic.  Red and yellow work so well together without black.  The Chiefs know it and the Flames seem to kinda get it again.

This is now my favorite NBA uni. 

Of course, I'd bet they'll wear the black one 60 times.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Sometimes a better view really helps; I couldn’t see that gold stripe down the side of the black jersey before, and that really helps it out. I still think I would’ve arranged the colors on the collar and trim a little differently myself, but I’m very glad to see some balance there that the first leak didn’t show.

The white and red uniforms are very, very nice. That particular font is actually better in “ATLANTA” because you don’t have that rounded “S” sticking out, and the color distribution is really well done. I’ve got no complaints about either set.

I’m assuming the logo package will get a tweak with the new font?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 minutes ago, uniguy22 said:

spacer.png

This is a great look, and huge improvement over their previous set. 

It's insane how much better these are than what was before. Top ten easy. 

Some really terrific details too. On all three uniforms, the side panels feature doubled up versions of the collar and shorts cuff piping. The center stripe is base color of the jersey EXCEPT for the black which switches in the gold creating a look that is consistent in theme with the red and white uniforms while still being different. 

The striping pattern not being limited to those two lines we saw in the first leak is definitely a huge improvement. I still don’t think the Hawks direction should be classic but at least they’re not barebones. The striping pattern seems like a nice mix between the light blue throwbacks (it’s also pretty similar to the Peachtree) and the pinstripe side panels. Wish they would have put Hawks on the white, and the font is still in that uncomfortable generic but not classic zone for me to like it too much.

The alternate logos with that font plus the crescents to create a basketball are embarrassing, they belong on those Property of Generic Athletic Dept. sweaters Old Navy or Primark sell.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

20 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That particular font is actually better in “ATLANTA” because you don’t have that rounded “S” sticking out

Great, great point, that's what I was going to say.

I'm still not crazy about such a traditional direction for this team, but the white and red uniforms look a lot better than the black one. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really love the simple design and the faux-retro font (take note, Milwaukee). The white and red jerseys are especially nice, with the vintage trim on the openings and sides.

I am a little disappointed Benguiat didn’t return as the primary font, but I understand that it wouldn’t really work here. Heck, the ‘00s illustrated that arched Benguiat looked terrible. Still, a ‘Nique throwback would be much appreciated.

I said it on page 1 of this thread but I’ll say it again:

this is hands-down an upgrade over “volt” era

The color scheme is fantastic (Chiefs and flames are only big4 teams that use it)

Sure they have pretty great throwbacks, but also this is modern, sleek, and can be a long term solution. Bravo Atlanta. 

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I think in a vacuum these look very nice, but I enjoyed seeing Atlanta with a modern look.  It kinda reminds me of the Astros, where their jerseys are nice, but there's a lot more potential with what that franchise has done in the past.

Archived