SportsLogos.Net News

Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Logos, Colours

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yes, in the abstract they're nice, but they're also just on the other side of being a template. And the logo is as generic as it can possibly get. No bird? Or feathers? Or a beak?

The Pac-man bird is still the primary. It appears on the shorts. 

They look good, and in doing so hopefully they stop this nonsense of completely changing their look every 4 years.

2 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Why wouldn't these last?

So I'm going to get this out there...

I love this look. It's clean, everything works. People don't realize the Hawks are a very old team, and so I appreciate the old school look.

I'm not too broken up about the team leaving modern behind, because the last two times they tried we got gradients and volt/triangles. 

With all of that being said...why wouldn't they last? If the team doesn't improve. Success defines longevity. You pointed that out with the Celtics, Knicks, and Bulls comparisons. 

The Hawks are a team bouncing from traditional to modern, and they keep changing because the team keeps being underwhelming. So management feels they need to keep changing uniforms to drum up interest. 

As nice as this look is (and I do think it's very nice) the team will dump it for something out there in five years if they don't start winning. 

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The Hawks are a team bouncing from traditional to modern, and they keep changing because the team keeps being underwhelming. So management feels they need to keep changing uniforms to drum up interest. 

As nice as this look is (and I do think it's very nice) the team will dump it for something out there in five years if they don't start winning. 

Ehhh..I get it. But I was talking based solely on the design itself. The uniform on its own is a design that is hard to justify changing. I think they'll play with the City uniforms designs as everyone does. This is the most exciting young team the Hawks have had in more than two decades, and it was built from the ground up. So for better or worse, I see these easily lasting more than 5 years.

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

2021_ATL_Hawks_Brand_Identity.jpg

So glad the "Global" logo doesn't say "BASKETBALL CLUB" any longer.

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

They look good, and in doing so hopefully they stop this nonsense of completely changing their look every 4 years.

This narrative has to change lol. It's no big deal, but there's only been two uniform rebrands since 2000, not including the newest set. 

I really hope they bring back the peach tree jerseys for next season. I love the fact that design wise they look the same as these new ones with the piping and stripes. They're really uniform with these uniforms 

I didn't mind the volt, especially once it was reduced to trim. But these are a big upgrade and a classic looking set.

Still don't like it even after seeing the whole thing. There's classic and then there's dated, and this look is definitely dated. It looks like it came straight out of the 1950s. And although the Hawks are an old franchise, they don't have a legacy as rich as a team like the Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, etc. to pull it off. Modern uniforms also make more sense for the market.

The motto of "going back to the roots" makes no sense with the uniforms they've come up with. I think most people would agree that a real "back to the roots" set for the Hawks would look like the Nique era, not this.

This look actually reminds me a lot of the Magic's 2003-2008 look. Those uniforms didn't have much staying power and these won't either.

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

So I'm going to get this out there...

I love this look. It's clean, everything works. People don't realize the Hawks are a very old team, and so I appreciate the old school look.

I'm not too broken up about the team leaving modern behind, because the last two times they tried we got gradients and volt/triangles. 

With all of that being said...why wouldn't they last? If the team doesn't improve. Success defines longevity. You pointed that out with the Celtics, Knicks, and Bulls comparisons. 

I think this is a great point. Outside of the weirdo '70s Pete Maravich set, the Hawks carried a pretty traditional look until its transcendent '82 set. I remember watching peak Dominique Wilkins in '86 or so, thinking it was a uniform ahead of its time. I had no idea it had been around for four years at that point. The rest of their history is marked by one attempt after another to embrace modernization, but every one seemed to pale in comparison to that Wilkins-era set. It's like the Hawks peaked too early, so now they've got to further back in time and reset things. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The motto of "going back to the roots" makes no sense with the uniforms they've come up with. I think most people would agree that a real "back to the roots" set for the Hawks would look like the Nique era, not this.

I don’t know, it makes sense to me; there’s pretty obvious cues with the striping and drop shadow numbers pointing to the very first Atlanta set (one that was just thrown back to recently). The bones of the uniform are quite clearly intended to evoke the original, and though the color scheme is not the original, it’s the more traditional Hawks color scheme and serves as a bridge of sorts across different eras (red and gold also didn’t come that much later than the original, either; it came only four years after the Hawks arrived in Atlanta). 

5 hours ago, chakfu said:

Somehow to me the looks are unrelated.  Hawks are a little yellow, Rockets even less except for the old logo.  Totally different balance in my mind.

Well, yes, in both cases yellow is trim while red takes the spotlight, much like with the Kansas City Chiefs. I’m surprised the Hawks brought yellow back first because they didn’t win back-to-back championships with it as a part of their scheme. The Rockets did. 

57 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Still don't like it even after seeing the whole thing. There's classic and then there's dated, and this look is definitely dated. It looks like it came straight out of the 1950s. And although the Hawks are an old franchise, they don't have a legacy as rich as a team like the Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, etc. to pull it off. Modern uniforms also make more sense for the market.

This look actually reminds me a lot of the Magic's 2003-2008 look. Those uniforms didn't have much staying power and these won't either.

Agreed. "Actually, the Hawks are a basic, boring team." Maybe if you take the time to look up  40- to 50-year-old uniforms, but that's kind of silly. Syracuse was once pink and green, but they would never release a new identity in those colors now.

Things can be objectively nice, like this set is, but also ill-fitting for the team and the market, also like this set.

5 hours ago, Ark said:

I think these are better than the 80s uniforms.

But these are the best uniforms they've ever had IMO:

efd131b0-6b79-11e9-adbf-fffc05e56f55

This is a good example of where the Hawks messed up a little bit on these new unis. The white wordmark with the yellow outline looks so washed out. Had they just added even a thin black drop shadow, it would’ve fixed that by giving it a better visual foundation.

These are better than a LOT of their previous looks, but that part is definitely annoying. 

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Hawks predate the Nique era by nearly four decades. They won a NBA Championship (the only one the team has) twenty-four years before Dominique Wilkins' rookie season.

Honestly? I'd prefer a team look nice, if boring, over something that tries so hard to be unique that it becomes kitschy. Ideally, you should brand for timelessness over trends; trends change often, and what's "hip" now might be looked at in the same way as jersey gradients in like 5-10 years. More reserved and classical looks have always had more staying power over the really trend-riding looks, that's just kind of the nature of it.

The Hawks are a franchise dating back to the 50's, and they've been in Atlanta since the late 60's. They're not a young franchise by any stretch of the word, so should they really dress like one? The sort of wacky design aesthetic of blaring greens and detailed patterns would've flourished on a team like the Thrashers, born right as the 90's experimentational era was ending. For a franchise that was already nearly forty years old when they first moved to Atlanta and is now 52 years old? Hyper-trendy is the opposite of fitting.

Hell, if you want to be truly pedantic, the team's origins lie in the NBL Buffalo Bisons, which were founded in 1946. That's 74 years that the franchise has been in operation. 

a few good shots  EdfDtphXYAAoroE?format=jpg&name=mediumEdfDthJWAAEOqM1?format=jpg&name=mediumEdfDtytWoAEaAvc?format=jpg&name=medium these are a huge upgrade, and they're up there with the Braves for best Atlanta sports uniforms

3 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

This narrative has to change lol. It's no big deal, but there's only been two uniform rebrands since 2000, not including the newest set. 

But in that time they went from a red and gold team, to a navy and red team, to a black and volt team, to now back to a red and gold team. Tell me another team that has had such a hard time trying to even stick to a color scheme much less a uniform.

The Hawks have mattered basically twice: in green with Pistol Pete and in red with Dominique. And maybe also with Laettner and Mutombo.

All of those eras coincided with fun uniforms. All of the years not worth remembering were in plain, basic unforms.

That's why, to NBA fans, at least, the Hawks should be different and not boring.

They should have kept the Pacman logo red on the black uniforms. The yellow gets lost in the yellow stripe and yellow on black background is almost too on the nose for a logo whose inspiration was called Pac-Man. Plus I’d prefer simple one color logos to always be in a teams primary color or on a team primary color background.