Report: 20% of High Schools with Confederate mascots changing nicknames

I don't have a problem with the name in and of itself with the proper imagery, but let's be honest, it doesn't lend itself to sanctioned high school sports, the height of conformity when you're actually attending one. I believe Columbine High School's teams are named the Rebels and they still haven't gotten around to rethinking that one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't have a problem with the name in and of itself with the proper imagery, but let's be honest, it doesn't lend itself to sanctioned high school sports, the height of conformity when you're actually attending one. I believe Columbine High School's teams are named the Rebels and they still haven't gotten around to rethinking that one.

http://www.columbinerebels.net/

It looks like they're using Revolutionary War version of rebels rather than Confederates. Lee High in San Antonio changed to Lengendary Excellence in Education High School and the mascot changed from a Confederate officer to a military working dog.The team name was Volunteers before and after the change. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

The concept of rebellion exists outside the context of the Civil War lol

Archived