NormMacdonald

Report: 20% of High Schools with Confederate mascots changing nicknames

Local high school is changing, new options are “royals, raptors, and rattlers”.

Only 20%? Why anyone would want to be named after a bunch of losers is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Only 20%? Why anyone would want to be named after a bunch of losers is beyond me. 

Thats how many have committed to changing so far, even more are weighing their options

I don't have a problem with the name in and of itself with the proper imagery, but let's be honest, it doesn't lend itself to sanctioned high school sports, the height of conformity when you're actually attending one. I believe Columbine High School's teams are named the Rebels and they still haven't gotten around to rethinking that one.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't have a problem with the name in and of itself with the proper imagery, but let's be honest, it doesn't lend itself to sanctioned high school sports, the height of conformity when you're actually attending one. I believe Columbine High School's teams are named the Rebels and they still haven't gotten around to rethinking that one.

http://www.columbinerebels.net/

It looks like they're using Revolutionary War version of rebels rather than Confederates. Lee High in San Antonio changed to Lengendary Excellence in Education High School and the mascot changed from a Confederate officer to a military working dog.The team name was Volunteers before and after the change. 

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

The concept of rebellion exists outside the context of the Civil War lol

10 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Right, I got you now. Managed to misread it like five times, my bad

Lol, we’ve all been there. 

On 7/17/2020 at 4:28 PM, guest23 said:

One Internet to you, good person. 

On 7/18/2020 at 4:28 AM, guest23 said:

Some people love the losers more than the winners.

Ft. Smith Southside in Arkansas changed from Rebels to Mavericks a while back. If we can figure it out, everybody else can too.