OHL Redesign (14/20; Flint uniforms added June 13)

jwinters

14 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Your Guelph primary logo is really classy. Definitely an upgrade from the cartoony logo they've got now. The Cathedral logo is pretty nice too.

I do agree with @Karnage84's concerns about the fauxback logo, but it could work if you separate the sections of the tornado instead of having one continuous squiggle. I think the original logo achieves a similar effect, just using different colors rather than gaps.

As for the jerseys, they're a solid design, but such a good one-color logo deserves to go straight onto a jersey with no outline. If I were you, I'd either remove all the white from the home jersey and all gray from the away OR convert the chest striping to hem striping and just let the logo sit on the main color of the jersey.

As for the alt, I think you could just use the original Storm wordmark that your G logo is based on; that font would fit right in to this set, IMO.

Sudbury looks nice, though I wonder if you could replace the black with green on the logos. The Nickel alt is fun, but I might go with flat sleeve striping.

Kingston's alternate jersey/logo is beautiful. Columbus should take note of that. Not necessary, but I'm curious if a K in the wheel as a bit more of a callback would work.

That Windsor turn-ahead-the-clock red jersey (except for the font) is pretty cool! You might match the sleeve striping to the contrail though.

Good work!

Which could be rectified with a silver/charcoal combo. Black (which they have been using for a while) just feels a bit too harsh and takes away from a nice albeit plain, maroon/silver combo. 

What about trying that G logo inside of the triangle and using that as the primary with your current primary as a fauxback? It has a vintage vibe while the G logo has a more modern feel. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Your encouragement makes it so much easier to keep working on these concepts, and your suggestions are making them so much better than they otherwise would be.

I'm glad that the Basilica logo for Guelph is so popular! I left it off the shoulders of the home and away because I worried it may be too busy when combined with the chest stripe, but I think it might still work. Because of it's shape, I don't like it as a chest logo.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:01 AM, Morgan33 said:

The home and roads look great, the logo in particular works great with the chest stripes.

Thanks! I don't remember when I decided I wanted to use chest stripes for Guelph, but I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:15 AM, Karnage84 said:

These are just my thoughts, take them for what you want. 

If you wanted to stick with the stripes, I would rather go maroon home and white away. The home jersey looks like an alternate IMO. For your alternate, I'd like to see you utilize that 'G' logo which was a nice callback to their past. I'd also like to see your Basilica logo utlized, probably in your primary's and the triangle used in your alternate. The Basilica is just too nice to not be used while the triangle would strengthen that throwback/fauxback vibe. 

Guelph uses black in their colour scheme. I wonder how a mix of maroon/white/silver/charcoal would work. Not a black but a dark grey reminiscent of storm clouds. 

Your thoughts are much appreciated! I made the home grey as part of my effort to reduce the number of black/red/blue home jerseys in the league, but I see what you mean. I'll try it out in maroon. I wasn't totally happy with my 'G' logo, but maybe I can apply the same affect to a wordmark for the alternate uniform. I don't think I'll use the squiggle in the triangle, but I'm going to try again to do something in that vein.

Adding charcoal to the scheme is a great idea! I skipped black since it seemed unnecessary to the team's actual identity, but the lack of contrast between the current grey and white was a tricky constraint.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:26 AM, sparky said:

That Basilica logo is too good to NOT use on the home & away unis.

How would it look on the side of the pants?

I'm glad you like it! I can try it on the pants, but I think putting it on the shoulders might be the best spot.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:18 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I would add a small hem stripe on the home and roads. They need a bit more color there, otherwise these are fantastic! The logo does work really nicely with the chest stripe. 

That's a good call! A hem stripe will hopefully make them feel more finished.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, vtgco said:

Your Guelph primary logo is really classy. Definitely an upgrade from the cartoony logo they've got now. The Cathedral logo is pretty nice too.

I do agree with @Karnage84's concerns about the fauxback logo, but it could work if you separate the sections of the tornado instead of having one continuous squiggle. More like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq7C6k7em-ycZ_7zakYVK842_O7A72G3AKvw&usqp=CAU

I think the original logo achieves a similar effect, just using different colors rather than gaps.

As for the jerseys, they're a solid design, but such a good one-color logo deserves to go straight onto a jersey with no outline. If I were you, I'd either remove all the white from the home jersey and all gray from the away OR convert the chest striping to hem striping and just let the logo sit on the main color of the jersey.

As for the alt, I think you could just use the original Storm wordmark that your G logo is based on; that font would fit right in to this set, IMO.

Sudbury looks nice, though I wonder if you could replace the black with green on the logos. The Nickel alt is fun, but I might go with flat sleeve striping.

Kingston's alternate jersey/logo is beautiful. Columbus should take note of that. Not necessary, but I'm curious if a K in the wheel as a bit more of a callback would work.

That Windsor turn-ahead-the-clock red jersey (except for the font) is pretty cool! You might match the sleeve striping to the contrail though.

Good work!

You've convinced me to revisit that squiggle logo. Hopefully I can keep the basic feel but make it more tornado-like. Tornadoes are annoyingly difficult to draw, but if I can pull it off it would really improve the brand. That original Storm wordmark was great, but I'm not totally happy with my 'G'. I'll take another shot at emulating that style.

Of the teams I've worked on so far, Sudbury has certainly given me the hardest time. I am planning to eliminate the black in the next iteration, I'm just not sure yet whether it will be replaced with dark grey or whichever colour I choose to be the primary, either green or blue.

I'm glad you like Kingston's alternate! I do wish Columbus would focus more on the cannon and less on the star/Ohio flag. I'll try a 'K' in the wheel and see how it looks.

The problem with matching the Windsor sleeve stripes to the contrail is that that would leave no blue on the sleeves, which I think would throw the balance off. And point taken about the font, haha. I figured if I was going way over the top with the jersey design, I may as well do the same with the font, but I can tone it down a bit.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, Karnage84 said:

Which could be rectified with a silver/charcoal combo. Black (which they have been using for a while) just feels a bit too harsh and takes away from a nice albeit plain, maroon/silver combo. 

What about trying that G logo inside of the triangle and using that as the primary with your current primary as a fauxback? It has a vintage vibe while the G logo has a more modern feel. 

It may be irrational, but I'm pretty set on keeping my current Guelph primary logo as the primary. The '60s/'70s era of very simple geometric designs (think Philadelphia Flyers, Atlanta Flames, Buffalo Braves, Hartford Whalers) is my favourite, and while it doesn't lend itself to every team, I was pretty happy when I came up with something based on those for Guelph, so I have a hard time demoting it. It may not be the best logo I've designed for this series, but it's my favourite.

OK, here are some updates to the home and away:

0fZhqHn.png

lpV9swt.png

Instead of introducing a fourth colour, I cut out white and went with two different greys. I think the darker grey makes the uniforms look a lot more finished; thanks again for the suggestion, @Karnage84! I would have liked to have put a silver version of the primary logo directly on the maroon jersey, sans outline, but it would have thrown the colour balance off, since I'm not inclined to drop the chest stripes. I'd appreciate any thoughts on these updates! A new alternate design will be coming, but I have to take some more time to rethink that.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:34 PM, jwinters said:

Oh, that's an interesting thought. Bulldogs are square enough that it might work out. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! It turned out even better than I expected.

It might be interesting to make the chain circle go around the bulldog like a collar, and then make the H hang from it like a dog tag. Could be easier than trying to force a H into the dog head.

The Guelph logo is the ace of the bunch so far. It’s really timeless, and has that easy to sketch ability that many iconic logos have. Well done!

On 10/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, jwinters said:

OK, here are some updates to the home and away:

0fZhqHn.png

lpV9swt.png

Instead of introducing a fourth colour, I cut out white and went with two different greys. I think the darker grey makes the uniforms look a lot more finished; thanks again for the suggestion, @Karnage84! I would have liked to have put a silver version of the primary logo directly on the maroon jersey, sans outline, but it would have thrown the colour balance off, since I'm not inclined to drop the chest stripes. I'd appreciate any thoughts on these updates! A new alternate design will be coming, but I have to take some more time to rethink that.

I was wrong, your Guelph logo (with the charcoal) really pops. The jerseys look fantastic. The slightest of feedback points - match the hem line of the away jersey with the home jersey. Add a small maroon stripe on the bottom. Otherwise, these are rock solid and possibly the best in the series. 

On 10/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, NoE38_Concepts said:

Big fan of those Guelph updates, Definitely an improvement.

Thanks!

On 10/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, JLJ said:

It might be interesting to make the chain circle go around the bulldog like a collar, and then make the H hang from it like a dog tag. Could be easier than trying to force a H into the dog head.

The Guelph logo is the ace of the bunch so far. It’s really timeless, and has that easy to sketch ability that many iconic logos have. Well done!

Thank you, I'm glad you like the Guelph logo! I'll think about that for the Hamilton logo, but I'm pretty happy with those for now.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:07 AM, Karnage84 said:

I was wrong, your Guelph logo (with the charcoal) really pops. The jerseys look fantastic. The slightest of feedback points - match the hem line of the away jersey with the home jersey. Add a small maroon stripe on the bottom. Otherwise, these are rock solid and possibly the best in the series. 

Thank you! And good call on the hem stripe---I've added it now:

RQdiQ6F.png

And here's the updated alternate uniform:
kfphbxm.png

And the logos I used on it:
FSvk31b.png

8lcPok2.png

Thanks again to everyone who's given me feedback; it's made these uniforms much better than they could have been otherwise!

17 hours ago, jwinters said:

Thanks!

Thank you, I'm glad you like the Guelph logo! I'll think about that for the Hamilton logo, but I'm pretty happy with those for now.

Thank you! And good call on the hem stripe---I've added it now:

RQdiQ6F.png

And here's the updated alternate uniform:
kfphbxm.png

And the logos I used on it:
FSvk31b.png

8lcPok2.png

Thanks again to everyone who's given me feedback; it's made these uniforms much better than they could have been otherwise!

Very sharp! That really finishes off the jersey set. Really like the alternate tornado logo. 

Not sold on the wordmark or the alternate jersey but I'm probably just being nitpicky. 

12 hours ago, jwinters said:

I wasn't sold either, so here's yet another attempt:

Mqmib2h.png

I'm still not 100% on it, but I think I need to leave it alone for a while and come back to it later.

I think this is a great look overall. How about using the diagonal stripes from the "Guelph" logo in the numbers in the alternate?

Gpq0IHL.png

I reversed the direction of the rain, so that it would run opposite to the italic font. I don't love the way this turned out. Perhaps because the original wordmark used an ultra bold font, so there was more room to fit in the rain. I'll play around with this and see if I can come up with something better.

I've updated my Kitchener logos so that all of the diagonals are at 45 degree angles. It's a subtle change, but it makes them more cohesive, I think.

2ZlKAA3.png

xVXw4RQ.png

The uniforms in turn are updated to use the new logos, plus I lowered the NOB and number on the home and alternate to match their placement on the away.

aKUboUy.png

CN83O2h.png

khiocvj.png

14 hours ago, jwinters said:

I've updated my Kitchener logos so that all of the diagonals are at 45 degree angles. It's a subtle change, but it makes them more cohesive, I think.

2ZlKAA3.png

xVXw4RQ.png

The uniforms in turn are updated to use the new logos, plus I lowered the NOB and number on the home and alternate to match their placement on the away.

aKUboUy.png

CN83O2h.png

khiocvj.png

I'm really digging this whole series. And this setup in particular is well-done. 

N3d5IIl.png

OK, another round of slight tweaks, this time for Windsor. I switched the 'W' with propeller back to the alternate, as I had initially planned, as I do think the plane-on-rink works better as the primary. The alternate is a grey-ish cream colour. Since there's no longer a 'W' on the chest of the home and away kits, I swapped out the maple leaf roundels on the shoulders for 'W' roundels. I also switched to a more legible font for the "Turn Ahead the Clock" style jersey.

84H2ldu.png

EJjk8L5.pngYaYgBXk.png

rDJrepw.png

On 10/20/2020 at 11:46 PM, jwinters said:

Gpq0IHL.png

I reversed the direction of the rain, so that it would run opposite to the italic font. I don't love the way this turned out. Perhaps because the original wordmark used an ultra bold font, so there was more room to fit in the rain. I'll play around with this and see if I can come up with something better.

It's really not that bad. It might look too cluttered if you're looking at double digits but it's hard to say. 

• 3 weeks later...

MISSISSAUGA STEELHEADS

It's been a while, but I've got logo concepts for Mississauga ready. I don't mind the pose of the fish in the current logo, but the look on its face seems scared or stunned to me, so I wanted to fix that. The block 'M' is intended as a tribute to the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors, who became the Steelheads. My primary logo combines the fish and the 'M', but the fish and 'M' are also available as separate secondary logos. The final alternate logo depicts the Absolute World buildings in Mississauga, which are visible from the highway and in my mind are the best symbol of the city. I think that's the weakest of the four logos, and I'm not sure yet how I'll use it.

kTGh4v8.png

VaJoWBa.png

FTOEl9a.png

196w54M.png

On 10/25/2020 at 5:02 PM, jwinters said:

OK, another round of slight tweaks, this time for Windsor. I switched the 'W' with propeller back to the alternate, as I had initially planned, as I do think the plane-on-rink works better as the primary. The alternate is a grey-ish cream colour. Since there's no longer a 'W' on the chest of the home and away kits, I swapped out the maple leaf roundels on the shoulders for 'W' roundels. I also switched to a more legible font for the "Turn Ahead the Clock" style jersey.

84H2ldu.png

EJjk8L5.pngYaYgBXk.png

rDJrepw.png

That red alternate jersey is badass!

N3d5IIl.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 12:23 PM, jbird669 said:

That red alternate jersey is badass!

Thank you!

I have Mississauga's uniforms ready. In reality their jerseys are all blue and white, based on the template the Leafs were using when Mississauga changed names to the Steelheads. I wanted to put more emphasis on "steel" and also distinguish from the many other blue teams by making grey the primary colour. The striping on the home jersey is based on the 'M' in the primary logo, and the away uses a colour-swapped version of the same striping. The alternate uses a pattern inspired by the city of Mississauga's logo, but which also looks like waves, or fish, or many repetitions of the letter 'M'.

MGTqX3n.pngK0fGpYi.pngyWxJsQ3.png

My plan is to work on Sarnia next. For now, let me know what you think of these!

Archived