OHL Redesign (14/20; Flint uniforms added June 13)

jwinters

On 11/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Just some critique on Mississauga. The fish sort of looks too elongated. Not so much sleek like a trout, but almost gives off an eel vibe if that makes sense. 

Thanks for the feedback! The photos I used for reference (e.g. this one) made the fish look pretty long, so that's what I went with. I'll think about thickening it up though.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your take on Sarnia is a big upgrade from the current cartoony '90s look, not only for its simpler style but also for just how well you kept the feisty emotion without overdoing it! Excellent work. If you're worried about the alt logo, you could make the hive sections into distinct lumps but I think this version ties in well with the primary logo as-is.

Mississauga already has a workable logo but I think yours is really well-done as well... The jerseys are sharp... I like the silver as the home color. You might try having the M logo be blue with white outlines on all backgrounds, though; I'm not totally sold on the way the colors switch now.

Not feeling the towers alt logo. They might benefit from horizontal lines for windows, but personally I'd rather see a lighthouse logo like they currently have.

More really good work here!

11 hours ago, vtgco said:

Your take on Sarnia is a big upgrade from the current cartoony '90s look, not only for its simpler style but also for just how well you kept the feisty emotion without overdoing it! Excellent work. If you're worried about the alt logo, you could make the hive sections into distinct lumps but I think this version ties in well with the primary logo as-is.

Mississauga already has a workable logo but I think yours is really well-done as well... The jerseys are sharp... I like the silver as the home color. You might try having the M logo be blue with white outlines on all backgrounds, though; I'm not totally sold on the way the colors switch now.

Not feeling the towers alt logo. They might benefit from horizontal lines for windows, but personally I'd rather see a lighthouse logo like they currently have.

More really good work here!

Thank you!

I remember liking the Sting logo well enough as a kid but it's certainly outlived its appeal.

I'll try keeping the Mississauga 'M' blue and see how it looks, thanks for the suggestion! And I agree on the towers logo; it didn't seem to fit into the uniforms at all.

I love the colors and very much enjoy that primary logo. I have always wanted to do a version of the skating (fill in mascot here) logo, but have always worried about making it look unique. You executed doing this beautifully! I think the beehive could be more tied to the team. Right now it looks like just a hive. I wouldn't alter it much, but maybe there is a way to incorporate an "S" or two in it. Nothing blatant, but I think a subtle nod to the city would help.

On 12/4/2020 at 10:57 PM, jwinters said:

SARNIA STING

OK, here they are. Instead of black I decided to use a very dark purple, to make the look a little more unique. I'm pretty happy with the primary, but I'm concerned the beehive might be too simple.

ivfVn8N.png

gNIWGlm.png

WOW!! I love the Top logo!

N3d5IIl.png

On 12/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I love the colors and very much enjoy that primary logo. I have always wanted to do a version of the skating (fill in mascot here) logo, but have always worried about making it look unique. You executed doing this beautifully! I think the beehive could be more tied to the team. Right now it looks like just a hive. I wouldn't alter it much, but maybe there is a way to incorporate an "S" or two in it. Nothing blatant, but I think a subtle nod to the city would help.

7 hours ago, jbird669 said:

WOW!! I love the Top logo!

Thank you both! I've tried to incorporate an 'S' into the hive a couple different ways but haven't found one I'm happy with yet. I'll keep trying. If I come up with a more distinctive hive logo, I'll put it on the alternate jersey and move the skating bee to the shoulder, but until then here's what I have:

Sn72CB8.pngLb62Vkw.pngvnVn1LI.png

• 1 month later...

SUDBURY WOLVES (again)

OK, here's an update on my Sudbury Wolves concepts. I drew a whole bunch of different wolf heads and I'll be the first to acknowledge this one isn't perfect, but it's the best I've come up with yet. I've switched back from green to blue, now with two shades of blue and one grey, with no black and no red outside of the logo. I updated the secondary nickel logo to match this newer style, but it takes on different colours depending on the background it's on.

IZo8MLH.png

tn18SBK.png

WqvFAXk.png

C35rfjz.pngSnCZulH.png

Let me know what you think!

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Phenomenal. I love the paw on the nickel. 

Thank you!

One small tweak for Sudbury's away uniform: I made the helmet and cuffs light blue, to hopefully improve the colour balance.

I2peVry.png

I also have updates for Kitchener. It may be because they're the team I root for, but I keep finding nits to pick with their set. I switched to a more traditional typeface across the chest, I made the striping more uniform between home and away, and I switched back from navy to royal blue.

SMcGYZ7.pngmHZkCPb.pngnvjGVfu.png

OSHAWA GENERALS

And now here's some new work: concepts for Oshawa! I'm trying to reduce the number of red/blue teams in the league, or at least distinguish them better, so I shifted Oshawa's colours slightly to an orange-ish red and indigo instead of navy. The primary logo is more like their previous script logo and I made military-themed alternate logos as well. I realize the team is named after General Motors and not army generals, but I think this fits better in the present day. The striping pattern on the uniforms has been used through much of Generals history, and so I wanted to emphasize it, including it across the shoulders as well as on the sleeves and hem of the jerseys, somewhat like the original.

WRIVfAJ.png

eNIqqP5.pngbXmc8dL.png5cOICbE.pngAyYOnS5.pngxMAoVfL.png

11 hours ago, jwinters said:

Thank you!

One small tweak for Sudbury's away uniform: I made the helmet and cuffs light blue, to hopefully improve the colour balance.

I2peVry.png

I also have updates for Kitchener. It may be because they're the team I root for, but I keep finding nits to pick with their set. I switched to a more traditional typeface across the chest, I made the striping more uniform between home and away, and I switched back from navy to royal blue.

SMcGYZ7.pngmHZkCPb.pngnvjGVfu.png

OSHAWA GENERALS

And now here's some new work: concepts for Oshawa! I'm trying to reduce the number of red/blue teams in the league, or at least distinguish them better, so I shifted Oshawa's colours slightly to an orange-ish red and indigo instead of navy. The primary logo is more like their previous script logo and I made military-themed alternate logos as well. I realize the team is named after General Motors and not army generals, but I think this fits better in the present day. The striping pattern on the uniforms has been used through much of Generals history, and so I wanted to emphasize it, including it across the shoulders as well as on the sleeves and hem of the jerseys, somewhat like the original.

WRIVfAJ.png

eNIqqP5.pngbXmc8dL.png5cOICbE.pngAyYOnS5.pngxMAoVfL.png

1) Welcome back with the thread. I've enjoyed your work thus far and had not seen anything since the Sting logos were released. I see that I've been behind and it's nice to catch up. 

2) Maybe it's just my monitor but this looks a lot more like purple/orange instead of "a red-ange and indigo blue". The colour scheme is giving me major Clemson vibes. I think if you're trying to get away from red/blue teams, maybe lean into the Oshawa city flag which is blue/yellow. You could also go maple leafs-esque and just blue/white like GM's logo. 

10 hours ago, jbird669 said:

That Oshawa jersey with the logo is top-notch. 

Thank you! It's a very different look for Oshawa, but I think it works as an alternate.

16 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

1) Welcome back with the thread. I've enjoyed your work thus far and had not seen anything since the Sting logos were released. I see that I've been behind and it's nice to catch up. 

2) Maybe it's just my monitor but this looks a lot more like purple/orange instead of "a red-ange and indigo blue". The colour scheme is giving me major Clemson vibes. I think if you're trying to get away from red/blue teams, maybe lean into the Oshawa city flag which is blue/yellow. You could also go maple leafs-esque and just blue/white like GM's logo. 

I'm glad you've liked it! I haven't been able to work on it as much lately, but I'm still committed to finishing the series. I have plans for every team but North Bay, so if anyone wants a specific team prioritized, I'm happy to do that.

Looking at it again, you're right, it does skew a bit purple/orange. Looking over my plan again, I think it's not the worst thing if they stay red/blue-er. But, I figure it's worth exploring lots of options! I put together this graphic with a bunch of options, including those you mentioned, and:

• A "Compromise" option that falls in the middle of my concept's colours and the real life Generals' colours
  • Bruins colours, since the Generals used to be a Bruins farm team and wore black and yellow
  • Islanders and Raptors colours, to explore red/purple and orange/blue, as opposed to red/blue or orange/purple
  • The colours of this '90s Generals alternate uniform

UXAYmz9.png

Obviously there are other variations possible in between these colour options, but I'm inclined to go with the new "Compromise" option. Thanks for the feedback!

9 hours ago, jwinters said:

Thank you! It's a very different look for Oshawa, but I think it works as an alternate.

I'm glad you've liked it! I haven't been able to work on it as much lately, but I'm still committed to finishing the series. I have plans for every team but North Bay, so if anyone wants a specific team prioritized, I'm happy to do that.

Looking at it again, you're right, it does skew a bit purple/orange. Looking over my plan again, I think it's not the worst thing if they stay red/blue-er. But, I figure it's worth exploring lots of options! I put together this graphic with a bunch of options, including those you mentioned, and:

• A "Compromise" option that falls in the middle of my concept's colours and the real life Generals' colours
  • Bruins colours, since the Generals used to be a Bruins farm team and wore black and yellow
  • Islanders and Raptors colours, to explore red/purple and orange/blue, as opposed to red/blue or orange/purple
  • The colours of this '90s Generals alternate uniform

UXAYmz9.png

Obviously there are other variations possible in between these colour options, but I'm inclined to go with the new "Compromise" option. Thanks for the feedback!

My personal thought would be the GM blue and Oshawa gold. I might be wrong but I don't think there is a blue/yellow (Blues/Sabres) team in the league. It would reduce your blue/red or red/blue count. 

I realized I have a few blue/red teams (Windsor Spitfires, Kitchener Rangers, Saginaw Spirit), but no other red/blue teams planned, so it's not as big an issue as I was thinking. On the other hand my Barrie Colts concept will be blue/yellow and my Erie Otters concept will be yellow/blue, so I'd prefer to stay away from those options. I think I'll re-colour my concepts to the "compromise" colours and see how that looks. If it's still not right, I may just use the current real life colour scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you like it!

I know I said I didn't know what to do with North Bay, but I've been playing around with it and I think it will be my next team. Until I have that done, here are logo and uniform updates for Sarnia. Putting the hive inside an 'S' worked even better than I thought. The updated primary logo removes all the outlines, which were bothering me, though as a result it doesn't really work on a yellow background. To make up for that, I've made the home jersey purple and the alternate yellow. The alternate follows a similar format as my Hamilton alternate, with a yellow base and no white, but where the Hamilton alternate referenced the 1920s Tigers, this alternate is based on the Sting's original 1994 uniform.

j7SCXeW.png

VPKissu.pngOMm4z4k.pngzHq7QKL.png9TMGhnX.png

Archived