jwinters

OHL Redesign (6/20; Guelph uniforms added October 9)

Recommended Posts

On 9/12/2020 at 12:43 PM, jwinters said:

 

 

Thank you so much for the honest feedback! I really appreciate your input. Looking back, the Sudbury jerseys do seem pretty minor league-ish or almost like lacrosse jerseys, which isn't what I was going for.

 

 

I mocked up new versions before getting this message, but I'll try it out as well!

 

 

Thanks so much!

 

 

Thank you for your perspective! It's good to have someone from Sudbury here to talk about the design. I can consider a more classic design as well, but I do really like the evergreen pattern, and I'd like to use it in some way.

 

Here are my updates, which tone down the trees a bit and add a red accent. I took the Vegas Golden Knights jerseys as inspiration for how to include a red accent without going overboard. Let me know you think!

 

rl34ZQD.png

LFQ8FZv.png

I do like this a lot better. What you could look at trying is replacing the black in the logo with a darker shade of green. Then swapping out the silver on the arm band for your current shade of green and using the darker for the trees. This still looks really good but it is a way that you could tie everything in together and eliminate black from the colour scheme. I tried it out in Pixlr and thought it came out really nice. 

 

For your alt, I would still get rid of the dots. While this is a minor league it definitely gives me that ECHL vibe where things like Burger King night or Star Wars night with themed jerseys aren't out of the ordinary. Personally, I like seeing things in logos/uniforms that are incorporated in a clever way. Having that outline without the dots is a bit more subtle. Using the secondary logo might point it out a bit more, which would be helpful to someone not paying THAT much attention to uniforms like our collection of lunatics seem to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like the updated striping on the Sudbury Wolves.  It's more balanced now and the thin red line provides a nice splash of colour.  Only suggestion I have would be adding that red stripe to the hem, though the only way you could do that without changing the colour order is to curve the stripes round the scoop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for all the feedback, everyone! I will certainly be revisiting my Wolves concepts once I've thought more about how to handle the primary logo, as that's going to have the biggest influence on everything else. In the meantime, I've got logos for the next team!

 

HAMILTON BULLDOGS

 

When I was growing up the Hamilton Bulldogs were an AHL team. One franchise formerly known as the Hamilton Bulldogs lives on as the Bakersfield Condors, while another became the St. John's IceCaps for a couple years before moving to Laval and taking on the Rocket name (which was previously used by the Montreal Rocket, and later PEI Rocket, of the QMJHL, but I digress). The current Bulldogs have been members of the OHL since the Belleville Bulls moved to Hamilton (being replaced in Belleville by the AHL Belleville (nee Binghamton) Senators). While the AHL Bulldogs wore the red, white, and blue of their parent team, the Montreal Canadiens, the OHL Bulldogs have switched to black and yellow, just as the early NHL Hamilton Tigers wore. They use the same logo as the AHL Bulldogs, but in their new colour scheme. While I think black/yellow works better for Hamilton than red/blue (matching both the NHL Tigers and the CFL Tiger-Cats), it does overlap with the Kingston Frontenacs and the Sarnia Sting. I decided to do something a little more unique, and promote brown to a primary colour, replacing black. The dog in the logo has always been brown, so it seems like an appropriate change.

 

For the secondary, I combined a simplified version of the chain on the flag of Hamilton with the NHL Tigers' 'H', which the Bulldogs have also used as an alternate.

 

JIbnSwN.png

u9gCtSV.png

 

Let me know what you think! I'm hoping to have uniforms done over the weekend.

Edited by jwinters
I absent-mindedly forgot to centre the 'H' in the chain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like there is a creative way that you could fit an H into the primary but otherwise I think this is a nice looking logo set. Looking forward to seeing the jerseys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jwinters said:

 

u9gCtSV.png

 

 

I'm really liking that chain-circle "H"!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I feel like there is a creative way that you could fit an H into the primary but otherwise I think this is a nice looking logo set. Looking forward to seeing the jerseys. 

Oh, that's an interesting thought. Bulldogs are square enough that it might work out. I'll see what I can do.

 

13 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

 

I'm really liking that chain-circle "H"!👍

Thanks! It turned out even better than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to spend some more time thinking about incorporating an 'H' into the bulldog, as @Karnage84 suggested, but here's what I have for Hamilton uniforms for now. The Bulldogs use a jersey template very similar to, if not exactly the same as, the Pittsburgh Penguins'. I think that look has one too many sleeve stripes, so I simplified, and of course changed black to brown. The alternate is based on the Bulldogs current alternate, which is in turn based on the NHL Tigers jersey, although I didn't stick quite as close to the same design.

 

f7qvY5K.png

Igalo4g.pngyLHAdbv.png

Since no one commented about which team I should work on next, I've picked the Guelph Storm. Until then, let me know what you think of these!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jwinters said:

I've got to spend some more time thinking about incorporating an 'H' into the bulldog, as @Karnage84 suggested, but here's what I have for Hamilton uniforms for now. The Bulldogs use a jersey template very similar to, if not exactly the same as, the Pittsburgh Penguins'. I think that look has one too many sleeve stripes, so I simplified, and of course changed black to brown. The alternate is based on the Bulldogs current alternate, which is in turn based on the NHL Tigers jersey, although I didn't stick quite as close to the same design.

 

f7qvY5K.png

Igalo4g.pngyLHAdbv.png

Since no one commented about which team I should work on next, I've picked the Guelph Storm. Until then, let me know what you think of these!

The brown and gold is such a unique colour scheme. I'm getting some serious Wyoming Cowboys vibes from this, which isn't a bad thing. Surprisingly, they actually have a hockey team (who knew!?). I'd like to see outlines on the numbers for the home and away jerseys. Keep the alternate the same except I would add another stripe or two on the socks to match the arms a bit better. Lean into the throwback/stripe theme like the Pittsburgh Steelers and their bumblebee uni's. 

 

This is the first hockey themed thread that I've really paid much attention to or had interest in. That says a lot about the quality of the concept. Keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 1:58 PM, Karnage84 said:

The brown and gold is such a unique colour scheme. I'm getting some serious Wyoming Cowboys vibes from this, which isn't a bad thing. Surprisingly, they actually have a hockey team (who knew!?). I'd like to see outlines on the numbers for the home and away jerseys. Keep the alternate the same except I would add another stripe or two on the socks to match the arms a bit better. Lean into the throwback/stripe theme like the Pittsburgh Steelers and their bumblebee uni's. 

 

This is the first hockey themed thread that I've really paid much attention to or had interest in. That says a lot about the quality of the concept. Keep it up.

 

Thank you, I really appreciate that!

 

I don't follow college sports at all, so I wasn't familiar with the Wyoming Cowboys look, but it is indeed similar! I wasn't aware of any team using what I think of as Padres colours in hockey, so I figured it would be interesting to try out, and I think it suits Hamilton. I tried outlining the jersey numbers, but I didn't like the way it turned out. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I think you're right about the stripes on the alternate socks, though. With the sleeves I wanted to evoke what my brother calls the "too many stripes" look without actually having an excessive number of stripes. The three on the sleeves do the trick for my eye, but I agree that it should be carried over to the socks. I'll update them when I get a chance.

 

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GUELPH STORM

 

For as long as I've followed the OHL, the Storm have used an anthropomorphic tornado logo (old, new). That's a relatively common genre of logo, but I don't think I've ever seen one I liked. So, for my redesign, I went through a lot of doodles of possibilities. Southern Ontario doesn't get a lot of any kind of storm, but we get more snowstorms and thunderstorms than serious tornadoes, so I considered switching the theme to one of those, but didn't come up with anything satisfactory. Instead, I cooked up a monogram that reads as a 'G' or an 'S' or an overhead view of a tornado (somewhat like the Carolina Hurricanes logo), depending on how you look at it. The secondary shows the Basilica of Our Lady, which is the best known Guelph landmark and is also used in the current alternate logo. The bottom two logos, on the maroon background, are based on the original Guelph Storm logo, and I'm planning to use them for a sort fauxback, using the modern colours.

 

yEzRDzU.png

gQb0Fj8.png

jTJTM3x.png

peRoSlX.png

 

Feedback is welcome, as always! I should have more time than usual to work on designs this week, so I hope to have the uniforms up within the next couple of days, and then I'm going to work on the other two OHL teams with "St*" names: the Mississauga Steelheads and the Sarnia Sting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jwinters said:

GUELPH STORM

 

For as long as I've followed the OHL, the Storm have used an anthropomorphic tornado logo (old, new). That's a relatively common genre of logo, but I don't think I've ever seen one I liked. So, for my redesign, I went through a lot of doodles of possibilities. Southern Ontario doesn't get a lot of any kind of storm, but we get more snowstorms and thunderstorms than serious tornadoes, so I considered switching the theme to one of those, but didn't come up with anything satisfactory. Instead, I cooked up a monogram that reads as a 'G' or an 'S' or an overhead view of a tornado (somewhat like the Carolina Hurricanes logo), depending on how you look at it. The secondary shows the Basilica of Our Lady, which is the best known Guelph landmark and is also used in the current alternate logo. The bottom two logos, on the maroon background, are based on the original Guelph Storm logo, and I'm planning to use them for a sort fauxback, using the modern colours.

 

yEzRDzU.png

gQb0Fj8.png

jTJTM3x.png

peRoSlX.png

 

Feedback is welcome, as always! I should have more time than usual to work on designs this week, so I hope to have the uniforms up within the next couple of days, and then I'm going to work on the other two OHL teams with "St*" names: the Mississauga Steelheads and the Sarnia Sting.

 

The Guelph Storm really don't give you much help over their history. The throwback main (with the triangle) just does not look like anything related to a storm/tornado. I know it's a take off of that old school logo but that one looked a bit more like one with the different textures. It was still a horrible 90's era logo. I like your take on the Basilica better than the team's actual alternate logo. It's clean and simple but still very apparent on what it is intending to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, jwinters said:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming, here are my Sudbury Wolves uniform concepts. The focus is on forest green, with double grey accents. The tree pattern comes from the flag of Sudbury and the alternate pays tribute to the Big Nickel.

 

nEnew8o.png

BGm2WSc.png

 

The green & grey plus the tree striping seems a little derivative of the Everett Silvertips. Great work on these concepts otherwise!

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

 

The Guelph Storm really don't give you much help over their history. The throwback main (with the triangle) just does not look like anything related to a storm/tornado. I know it's a take off of that old school logo but that one looked a bit more like one with the different textures. It was still a horrible 90's era logo. I like your take on the Basilica better than the team's actual alternate logo. It's clean and simple but still very apparent on what it is intending to be. 

 

Thanks for the feedback! I think that's what I needed to hear about the fauxback logos. They only make sense if you know the original, and that's not really what my aim should be, I think. It occurs to me that it might be worth reaching further back and doing something based on the Guelph Platers logo, with a tornado in place of the lightning bolts. I'll spend a bit of time fleshing that out to see if it's viable before moving on to uniforms.

 

Also, thank you for the compliment on the Basilica icon! I love when teams use local landmarks/geography/flags in their logos, but the real-life Basilica alternate logo seems a bit muddy to me (as does the Storm primary) so I was glad to be able to clean it up.

 

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

 

The green & grey plus the tree striping seems a little derivative of the Everett Silvertips. Great work on these concepts otherwise!

 

spacer.png

 

Thank you! It's a good point about Everett. As you can see, I'm not getting through the OHL very quickly, but my long-term plan is to do the WHL and QMJHL once I'm done, so it's worth thinking about being unique across all three leagues. I think moving the tree motif to the sleeves from the hem helped separate my Wolves jersey from the Silvertips, but I agree it's still probably too close, now that I look again. I was planning to move Sudbury from blue to green because it is part of their historic colour palette and because blue uniforms are so prevalent in the OHL (and across sports, really). I had green stuck in my head, but they have worn blue for over 30 years, and perhaps that's still the best option, and the best way to distinguish from Everett. Thanks for bringing this up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, jwinters said:

GUELPH STORM

 

For as long as I've followed the OHL, the Storm have used an anthropomorphic tornado logo (old, new). That's a relatively common genre of logo, but I don't think I've ever seen one I liked. So, for my redesign, I went through a lot of doodles of possibilities. Southern Ontario doesn't get a lot of any kind of storm, but we get more snowstorms and thunderstorms than serious tornadoes, so I considered switching the theme to one of those, but didn't come up with anything satisfactory. Instead, I cooked up a monogram that reads as a 'G' or an 'S' or an overhead view of a tornado (somewhat like the Carolina Hurricanes logo), depending on how you look at it. The secondary shows the Basilica of Our Lady, which is the best known Guelph landmark and is also used in the current alternate logo. The bottom two logos, on the maroon background, are based on the original Guelph Storm logo, and I'm planning to use them for a sort fauxback, using the modern colours.

 

yEzRDzU.png

gQb0Fj8.png

jTJTM3x.png

peRoSlX.png

 

Feedback is welcome, as always! I should have more time than usual to work on designs this week, so I hope to have the uniforms up within the next couple of days, and then I'm going to work on the other two OHL teams with "St*" names: the Mississauga Steelheads and the Sarnia Sting.

 

Great job on those Guelph logos!!

IMO, all of them are better than what they currently have.

They were the Platers, with a lightning bolt element in their logo.

Too bad they couldn't include the bolt in a storm logo to weld the two eras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! It certainly wasn't easy figuring out what to do for the Storm. I tried out a modified Platers logo, replacing the lightning with a tornado, but it wasn't working for me. Instead, the alternate is a sort of collegiate-looking, football-inspired jersey, meant as a tribute to the city rather than the "Storm". I had planned the four stripe pattern in my head, but ended up making some modifications for the sake of colour balance. The original idea came from the horizontal winds of a tornado going around the player; I don't know if that idea really comes across, but I like the look regardless. Let me know what you think!

 

Y0URYeT.png

HtrtrIu.png

P9n2pEV.png

Before moving on to Mississauga, I think I'm going to go back and try Sudbury again. I also have some smaller tweaks planned for Kitchener, Windsor, and Hamilton, which I'd like to check off my list, in addition to any suggestions you may have about these Guelph uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The home and roads look great, the logo in particular works great with the chest stripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jwinters said:

Thanks! It certainly wasn't easy figuring out what to do for the Storm. I tried out a modified Platers logo, replacing the lightning with a tornado, but it wasn't working for me. Instead, the alternate is a sort of collegiate-looking, football-inspired jersey, meant as a tribute to the city rather than the "Storm". I had planned the four stripe pattern in my head, but ended up making some modifications for the sake of colour balance. The original idea came from the horizontal winds of a tornado going around the player; I don't know if that idea really comes across, but I like the look regardless. Let me know what you think!

 

Y0URYeT.png

HtrtrIu.png

P9n2pEV.png

Before moving on to Mississauga, I think I'm going to go back and try Sudbury again. I also have some smaller tweaks planned for Kitchener, Windsor, and Hamilton, which I'd like to check off my list, in addition to any suggestions you may have about these Guelph uniforms.

 

These are just my thoughts, take them for what you want. 

 

If you wanted to stick with the stripes, I would rather go maroon home and white away. The home jersey looks like an alternate IMO. For your alternate, I'd like to see you utilize that 'G' logo which was a nice callback to their past. I'd also like to see your Basilica logo utlized, probably in your primary's and the triangle used in your alternate. The Basilica is just too nice to not be used while the triangle would strengthen that throwback/fauxback vibe. 

 

Guelph uses black in their colour scheme. I wonder how a mix of maroon/white/silver/charcoal would work. Not a black but a dark grey reminiscent of storm clouds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Basilica logo is too good to NOT use on the home & away unis.

How would it look on the side of the pants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add a small hem stripe on the home and roads. They need a bit more color there, otherwise these are fantastic! The logo does work really nicely with the chest stripe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Guelph primary logo is really classy. Definitely an upgrade from the cartoony logo they've got now. The Cathedral logo is pretty nice too.

I do agree with @Karnage84's concerns about the fauxback logo, but it could work if you separate the sections of the tornado instead of having one continuous squiggle. More like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq7C6k7em-ycZ_7zakYVK842_O7A72G3AKvw&usqp=CAU

I think the original logo achieves a similar effect, just using different colors rather than gaps.

 

As for the jerseys, they're a solid design, but such a good one-color logo deserves to go straight onto a jersey with no outline. If I were you, I'd either remove all the white from the home jersey and all gray from the away OR convert the chest striping to hem striping and just let the logo sit on the main color of the jersey.

 

As for the alt, I think you could just use the original Storm wordmark that your G logo is based on; that font would fit right in to this set, IMO.

 

 

Sudbury looks nice, though I wonder if you could replace the black with green on the logos. The Nickel alt is fun, but I might go with flat sleeve striping.

Kingston's alternate jersey/logo is beautiful. Columbus should take note of that. Not necessary, but I'm curious if a K in the wheel as a bit more of a callback would work.

That Windsor turn-ahead-the-clock red jersey (except for the font) is pretty cool! You might match the sleeve striping to the contrail though.

 

Good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.