2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is the 1st day of training camp (for the Chiefs and Texans) so technically, they've already started. It's just that today the rookies will take a COVID test and report Wednesday if they're all clear. Veterans are following afterwards. 

People talk about pulling the ladder up after you climbed it but getting rid of preseason games is the best illustration of it. 

They better pull the season up by a couple weeks if they're getting rid of preseason games, though.

I can understand why the players don't want to play exhibition games as they would be playing up to 20 games, not including the postseason. More games equals a better chance of infection for these players. 

On the flip side, fans should be prepared for some terrible football, especially in September. It is one thing for a starter to only get some reps in a couple of preseason games but everyone will be going into this season cold.

Safety takes precedence this season but I won't expect much as far as entertainment goes until at least October.

Another note - how will coaches evaluate players when it comes time to make cuts? I'm sure there may be intra-squad scrimmages and maybe even scrimmages against other teams, but they are probably not good enough to use for performance evaluations. 

9 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I can understand why the players don't want to play exhibition games as they would be playing up to 20 games, not including the postseason. More games equals a better chance of infection for these players. 

On the flip side, fans should be prepared for some terrible football, especially in September. It is one thing for a starter to only get some reps in a couple of preseason games but everyone will be going into this season cold.

Safety takes precedence this season but I won't expect much as far as entertainment goes until at least October.

Another note - how will coaches evaluate players when it comes time to make cuts? I'm sure there may be intra-squad scrimmages and maybe even scrimmages against other teams, but they are probably not good enough to use for performance evaluations. 

I doubt there will be scrimmages against other teams.  They might have already said that.  It sucks for the UFAs and late-round picks, but as a fan, I couldn't care less about preseason games.

I don't know how sloppy the initial games will be (not that they'll be played.)  The vets all know how to play, and can coach any rookies up on the fly.  It's the rookie Qbs that will probably have the roughest time, but they can always just sit for a few games and get some reps here and there.  It's not like teams that are starting rooke QBs are any good anyway.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I doubt there will be scrimmages against other teams.  They might have already said that.  It sucks for the UFAs and late-round picks, but as a fan, I couldn't care less about preseason games.

Preseason, for the fans, is completely useless. I definitely agree. I won't miss them at all.

They should have bubble cities for the NFL season.  Use the new Sofi Stadium stadium in LA as a hub city for the NFC, AFC West & North if they need more stadia for it they can use one of the soccer stadiums in LA.  They all play each other for the entire regular season.   Then the AFC South & East play at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis for the entire regular season.     

I agree. If fans can't attend games (wear a mask, jerks), then it doesn't make sense for the players to unnecessarily travel. Keep it as simple as possible and minimize risk as much as possible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

While the season is another matter, the NFL offseason was a nice distraction with free agency (it gave us something to talk about) and what I think was one of the most fun (and most weirdest) NFL Drafts ever.  This was the one year where I watched the entire NFL draft because I wanted to see how it was done during the pandemic.  What we had was amazing TV: Bill Belichick and his dog, whatever was going on in Mike Vrabel's house, Jerry Jones doing his draft from his yacht, Roger Goddell on the third day of the draft wearing an actual T-Shirt, Andy Reid and his Hawaiian shirts and Kliff Kingsbury's house.  Sadly, I think next year's draft will be back to normal.  

I was one of those who didn't think the NFL should postpone free agency or the draft, because I felt like a much needed distraction from the sports world was needed and it could be done without games.  The NFL gave us that as the NBA and NHL went dark and MLB delayed the start of their season.  

I really don't think a bubble is practical for football players.  Besides the sheer number of players and staff (which dwarfs that of any other pro sport) you'd have guys retaliating against each other for cheap shots that occurred in the games, like the one by that no-good-piece-of-virus-infected-feces Clowney.  Glad that sack-o-crap is unemployed.  I hope his family starves and has to eat him to stay alive (and then their luck turns around so they live just fine, just without him.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/28/2020 at 3:42 PM, beachperroAZ said:

They should have bubble cities for the NFL season.  Use the new Sofi Stadium stadium in LA as a hub city for the NFC, AFC West & North if they need more stadia for it they can use one of the soccer stadiums in LA.  They all play each other for the entire regular season.   Then the AFC South & East play at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis for the entire regular season.     

MLS is planning on playing at home stadiums from August 21st, so those stadiums are off the table.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, Fishplatter said:

They lost a lot of blue collar fans by the way 

What does this mean?

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What does this mean?

If I had to guess, it would have something to do with how players comport themselves before games. Something like standing good, kneeling bad.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived