2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

However, they won the off season uniform update game, and on this site, what else really matters?

Fair. And I'm inclined to agree if only because the other uniforms ranged from bland (Tampa Bay) to hideous (Atlanta's red alt uniform). Heck, I only listed off-field issues. Don't even get me started on how they treated Marty Schottenheimer and how they pissed away the careers of Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates, Ladanian Tomlinson and Junior Seau.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious talk, though, the Chargers are a few winning seasons removed from being a laughingstock like the Lions and Browns are. Kind of makes me feel bad knowing that the Raiders are owned by CWC, the Broncos have a dispute in the wake of Pat Bowen dying and the Chargers are a clownshow. You know, maybe an actual challenger can stand up and I hope it does because being Patriots Midwest is going to get boring very soon.

1 minute ago, QCS said:

MLB probably, NHL maybe, but NFL? Nah.

I'd think the NHL goes relocation before contraction, and even then the only candidate I can really think of in the near-future is the Panthers, since their lease is up soon and they'll be crippled by a lack of fans in attendance.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd think the NHL goes relocation before contraction, and even then the only candidate I can really think of in the near-future is the Panthers, since their lease is up soon and they'll be crippled by a lack of fans in attendance.

Agreed, for all the reasons you stated on the Anti-NHL thread. Really, really hoping for Nordiques 2.0 but I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers head to Houston, because NHL.

the user formerly known as cdclt

You’ll never see contraction in US pro sports. Realistically, there’s not enough top-tier talent to support more than around 26 teams in each, and for football and baseball there’s really only 26 or 28 suitable markets, but contraction will never ever ever happen. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

You’ll never see contraction in US pro sports. Realistically, there’s not enough top-tier talent to support more than around 26 teams in each, and for football and baseball there’s really only 26 or 28 suitable markets, but contraction will never ever ever happen. 

Bingo.  You'll see more situations like the Expos, Coyotes, and Hornicans where the league will serve as a caretaker owner until they can sell to a local group or one that'll relocate.

VmWIn6B.png

On 9/23/2020 at 10:45 AM, Red Comet said:

I believe it was 5 weeks in a row and they still won 2 games. Also, IIRC, Tony Banks was the starter during that stretch of the season and was benched when the Ravens were 5-4. Dilfer didn't lose a game for the rest of the year. 

They don't bench Banks and that 2000 Ravens team is like The Grits Blitz. A nice bit of trivia but ultimately wouldn't go anywhere.

It was 5 weeks.  Dilfer took over for Banks in the middle of game 4 of the TDless streak and started the 5th game of the streak.  They lost game 5, leaving them at 5-4, then won 11 in a row, including the playoffs and Super Bowl.

That team won every game in which they scored at least one touchdown . . . and managed to go 2-4 in games when they didn't score a touchdown.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

It was 5 weeks.  Dilfer took over for Banks in the middle of game 4 of the TDless streak and started the 5th game of the streak.  They lost game 5, leaving them at 5-4, then won 11 in a row, including the playoffs and Super Bowl.

That team won every game in which they scored at least one touchdown . . . and managed to go 2-4 in games when they didn't score a touchdown.

Thank you for the correction. That defense was amazing and its funny how things can change with the switch of a quarterback. Even if it is going from one mediocre QB to another. What changed with Dilfer at the helm that led to the offense producing more? 

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

I always thought that 24 is the sweet spot for leagues. The NFL can afford maybe a few more but then the talent pool gets dilated. The NHL and MLB should not have franchises in certain markets. The NBA could stand to lose a few franchises to become a bit more competitively balanced. 

Show of hands, did anyone expect Fitzpatrick and Co. to beat the crap out of Jacksonville? Not that the Jags are great but I was low-key thinking that they'd compete for a playoff spot this year and the Dolphins would be a Top-10 pick next year. 

Any Given Su-er-Thursday.

43 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Show of hands, did anyone expect Fitzpatrick and Co. to beat the crap out of Jacksonville? Not that the Jags are great but I was low-key thinking that they'd compete for a playoff spot this year and the Dolphins would be a Top-10 pick next year. 

It's Fitzmagic. The bipolar QB. 

He's always good for a few wins before he looks like a bottom tier QB again. 

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Maybe you weren’t paying attention to the absolute gutting this team has taken the past year. There are maybe 2 stars coming back from last year.

7 hours ago, Red Comet said:

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Maybe you weren’t paying attention to the absolute gutting this team has taken the past year. There are maybe 2 stars coming back from last year.

^ Yeah, that. That Jaguars squad is full of a bunch of rookies and backups. I'm actually surprised they played as well as they did through the first two games.  They've definitely got some promising young'ns on that squad. James Robinson we know about, but this Laviska Shinault character though...that is one TOUGH little dude. That guy is gonna be worth keeping an eye on.

All that said...yeah, they sho' got rolled on last night, in typical Jaguars bipolar fashion: build up the hype, then get stomped on during primetime at home. And to 37-year journeyman caveman QB Fitzpatrick, no less.  (Seriously, how does thay guy keep getting signed around the league, though?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Thank you for the correction. That defense was amazing and its funny how things can change with the switch of a quarterback. Even if it is going from one mediocre QB to another. What changed with Dilfer at the helm that led to the offense producing more? 

You're welcome.  I still remember that season well, so most of the details are pretty fresh in my mind . . . even after 20 (*gulp*) years.

As for what changed, I think there were three things --

1.  The streak was broken against a really bad Bengals team, who they just pasted.  I think the confidence derived from that changed the mindset . . . and no one was talking about the streak any more.

2.  Jamal Lewis had taken over as the starting RB by then.  He was just a beast, which improved the running game and helped open up the passing game.*

3.  Dilfer was just a smarter player than Banks.  I think he had a better handle on the offense and didn't make as many head scratching decisions.

* -- If only they could have figured out a way to maximize the talents of Lewis and Priest Holmes.  The offense actually could have been pretty good.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived