PittsburghSucks

2020 NFL Season

Recommended Posts

I am now convinced that Aaron Rodgers will be going to the New York Jets in the offseason¬†ūüôÉ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

I am now convinced that Aaron Rodgers will be going to the New York Jets in the offseason¬†ūüôÉ

Here lies Robert Saleh, New York Jets Head Coach 2021-23. Died of locker room cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a day or so to absorb all the talk and let the initial knee jerk reactions come and go. I haven't cared this much about Bucs football in over a decade and while I was meh on the signing of Brady, I think he's sufficiently proven the old adage of the rising tide really can raise all ships. To use a bit of wrestling parlance, I hated the fact it was a smozz finish, since I was hoping they would beat Green Bay clean and not have this needless point brought up years down the road about how Tampa screwed over the Packers. I've watched enough sports at this point in my life to know every playoff game is going to have controversial calls in some way where things are a bit of a grey area. For many years, I hated the Rams because I thought they stole the '99 NFCCG from Tampa when Bert Emanuel had a huge catch late in the fourth that was overturned, only to have the same catch be called legit in a change the next year. I was bitter about it for a few years after, even after the SB season, because I still felt like it was some botched job that had St. Louis fail upwards. However, getting older has shown this sort of thing to happen all the freaking time and every team has so many chances over the course of a game to have it not come down to one drive or one play, yet it does. The pass interference was a crappy call for sure, but I've seen just as many posts arguing about holds, other PIs, play clock violations, that weren't called. We can argue The Butterfly Effect all day but the gist of my post is that it doesn't come to just one play, but a whole series of plays that causes teams to put themselves in a compromised position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp. Chiefs or bust for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

Took a day or so to absorb all the talk and let the initial knee jerk reactions come and go. I haven't cared this much about Bucs football in over a decade and while I was meh on the signing of Brady, I think he's sufficiently proven the old adage of the rising tide really can raise all ships. To use a bit of wrestling parlance, I hated the fact it was a smozz finish, since I was hoping they would beat Green Bay clean and not have this needless point brought up years down the road about how Tampa screwed over the Packers. I've watched enough sports at this point in my life to know every playoff game is going to have controversial calls in some way where things are a bit of a grey area. For many years, I hated the Rams because I thought they stole the '99 NFCCG from Tampa when Bert Emanuel had a huge catch late in the fourth that was overturned, only to have the same catch be called legit in a change the next year. I was bitter about it for a few years after, even after the SB season, because I still felt like it was some botched job that had St. Louis fail upwards. However, getting older has shown this sort of thing to happen all the freaking time and every team has so many chances over the course of a game to have it not come down to one drive or one play, yet it does. The pass interference was a crappy call for sure, but I've seen just as many posts arguing about holds, other PIs, play clock violations, that weren't called. We can argue The Butterfly Effect all day but the gist of my post is that it doesn't come to just one play, but a whole series of plays that causes teams to put themselves in a compromised position. 

 

I could not have said it better myself. Frankly, I think its childish to blame the refs. My counter is that a team shouldn't put itself in a situation where they would rely on a ref making or not making a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

 

I could not have said it better myself. Frankly, I think its childish to blame the refs. My counter is that a team shouldn't put itself in a situation where they would rely on a ref making or not making a call.

 

If a bad call is the difference between a win and a loss? No, it's not childish. Refs shouldn't be the deciding factor between two even teams.

 

But on Sunday? The Packers took themselves out of the game. The PI call was bogus in the context of the game, but the Packers had karma for their coward FG try.

 

And the Bills failed to learn any lessons from that game by going to FGs instead of TDs. They got what they :censored:ing deserved.

 

(BTW, I'm sad, but not salty. The Bills hung in there, but the Chiefs were the better team in all phases last night. They deserved to win. And I'm glad Mahomes isn't permanently disabled or anything; he's a great dude and while I wish he were on my team, the league is better off for him in it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the broadcast last night mention that the Bills were the one who traded the Patrick Mahomes pick to KC? It's brought up surprisingly little, and I'd rather not hear it 37 times a day now the entire off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Did the broadcast last night mention that the Bills were the one who traded the Patrick Mahomes pick to KC? It's brought up surprisingly little, and I'd rather not hear it 37 times a day now the entire off-season.

I only found out about that in an article during the week. Since the Bills do have Josh Allen, it does soften the blow a little. It wasn't as if the Bills passed up on Michael Jordan. I mean I would be more embarrassed if I was ... um... the Chicago Bears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Did the broadcast last night mention that the Bills were the one who traded the Patrick Mahomes pick to KC? It's brought up surprisingly little, and I'd rather not hear it 37 times a day now the entire off-season.

 

I didn't hear them mention it, but they might have.  It's surprising if they didn't because outside of it being how Mahomes ended up in KC, it's how Tre'davious White and Tremaine Edmunds ended up in Buffalo.  While an All Pro CB and a 22-year-old, 2x Pro Bowl LB don't balance out the guy who's possibly going to be considered the GOAT by the time he hangs it up, considering Buffalo eventually got Josh Allen, I think they did pretty well in that trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

If a bad call is the difference between a win and a loss? No, it's not childish. Refs shouldn't be the deciding factor between two even teams.

 

But on Sunday? The Packers took themselves out of the game. The PI call was bogus in the context of the game, but the Packers had karma for their coward FG try.

 

And the Bills failed to learn any lessons from that game by going to FGs instead of TDs. They got what they :censored:ing deserved.

 

(BTW, I'm sad, but not salty. The Bills hung in there, but the Chiefs were the better team in all phases last night. They deserved to win. And I'm glad Mahomes isn't permanently disabled or anything; he's a great dude and while I wish he were on my team, the league is better off for him in it.)

I'm definitely not a fan of "well they should not have been in that position." Case-by-case, it's pretty much saying that a team needed to win by "extra" because playing enough to win by a point will get you a loss. That said, there's a ton of nuance to whether officials cost a team a game and we focus far too much on the last call. (I can bore you with examples, but won't.) I think the times "don't blame the refs" bugs me the most is when one team is consistently favored throughout the game.  Interestingly, I feel like this happens at Lambeau Field a lot.

 

Yesterday, I don't think that call is made if, say, the Niners are on the other sideline.  I kinda think Brady got the nod over the Packers. That said, this isn't a game where I blame the refs. This call probably should not have been made, but I don't feel that the rest of the game was one-sided. And even for those that do like to play the "last call is the one that matters" game, we'll never know what would have happened on a subsequent Packers drive. So it was the difference not between a win and a loss, but more like another chance and a loss.

 

And it happened to the Packers. When that happens to the Titans, nobody cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope every team passes on the opportunity to trade for Aaron Rodgers. He deserves to stay in Green Bay and rot in his own personal hell that he single handedly created himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I really hope every team passes on the opportunity to trade for Aaron Rodgers. He deserves to stay in Green Bay and rot in his own personal hell that he single handedly created himself. 

Except that they could win it all next year.  As a Vikings fan, I would love to see him go to Indy or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AFC is a tough ass gauntlet and has Patrick Mahomes and I think I'd still take the Chiefs over the field to make it back next season. If I'm a QB looking for a new team I'd stay on the NFC side of the table. That's your best bet to at least get to the Super Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, Alex Houston said:

Took a day or so to absorb all the talk and let the initial knee jerk reactions come and go. I haven't cared this much about Bucs football in over a decade and while I was meh on the signing of Brady, I think he's sufficiently proven the old adage of the rising tide really can raise all ships. To use a bit of wrestling parlance, I hated the fact it was a smozz finish, since I was hoping they would beat Green Bay clean and not have this needless point brought up years down the road about how Tampa screwed over the Packers. I've watched enough sports at this point in my life to know every playoff game is going to have controversial calls in some way where things are a bit of a grey area. For many years, I hated the Rams because I thought they stole the '99 NFCCG from Tampa when Bert Emanuel had a huge catch late in the fourth that was overturned, only to have the same catch be called legit in a change the next year. I was bitter about it for a few years after, even after the SB season, because I still felt like it was some botched job that had St. Louis fail upwards. However, getting older has shown this sort of thing to happen all the freaking time and every team has so many chances over the course of a game to have it not come down to one drive or one play, yet it does. The pass interference was a crappy call for sure, but I've seen just as many posts arguing about holds, other PIs, play clock violations, that weren't called. We can argue The Butterfly Effect all day but the gist of my post is that it doesn't come to just one play, but a whole series of plays that causes teams to put themselves in a compromised position. 


FWIW, I’m STILL mad about that Emmanuel catch. 
 

But I think it was @Sport who said a few years ago that if you want to avoid getting screwed out of a game by a bad call, then don’t put yourself in that position in the first place. I absolutely HATE when games are decided on bad calls, but that just comes with the territory with this league. We’ve all been :censored:ed over one way or another by it. 
 

Also, now that I’ve also had a day or two to absorb it, I’ll just say this. I cannot believe my sorry ass Bucs are back in the Super Bowl. @tBBP is right. I’m not really that excited for it, but that’s mainly because I’m still in such a state of shock. This whole Brady to the Bucs thing is basically The Twilight Zone to me. I’m VERY happy about it, but I’m still having trouble really absorbing it. I’m just happy I get to think/talk about the Bucs for another two weeks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a non-Bucs fan, it seems like the logo on their helmets is completely irrelevant.  The Super Bowl is the Chiefs vs Tom Brady, and he just happens to be wearing a red jersey.  I don't mean that to disparage the Bucs, but it really doesn't seem like it's the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the Super Bowl.  Like even if I disliked them, I probably wouldn't care that they're there (unless I also disliked Tom Brady.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's honestly :censored:ing insane what Brady has accomplished.

He's been in the league 21 years, and he's going to his 10th Super Bowl. 

10th. 

This is a guy that has spent half his career playing in the Super Bowl. While even some Hall of Fame players are lucky to make 1 or 2. Let alone win it. 

If I wasn't a Patriots fan, I would find that completely disgusting. I'm happy for him though, glad he could bring some of that magic to an old forlorn team.

 

Now imagine alternate universe where Brady is 9-0 in Super Bowls, including a Perfect Season & Threepeat.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Now imagine alternate universe where Brady is 9-0 in Super Bowls, including a Perfect Season & Threepeat.   

 

 

There exists no alternate universe in which Nick Foles doesn't beat them in Super Bowl LII.  Go ahead and check for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Now imagine alternate universe where Brady is 9-0 in Super Bowls, including a Perfect Season & Threepeat.   

 

I usually go with the alternate universe where Warner doesn't throw that pick six, Seattle and Atlanta don't pull off the two biggest chokes in football history, and Brady is 3-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ManillaToad said:

 

I usually go with the alternate universe where Warner doesn't throw that pick six, Seattle and Atlanta don't pull off the two biggest chokes in football history, and Brady is 3-6

You sure you wouldn't prefer the one where Warner doesn't throw that pick six, Carolina doesn't kick it out of bounds, McNabb doesn't puke, Seattle & Atlanta don't choke, and Goff doesn't.....Goff it up, and Brady is 0-9 in Super Bowls? 

GOAT Super Bowl Choker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You sure you wouldn't prefer the one where Warner doesn't throw that pick six, Carolina doesn't kick it out of bounds, McNabb doesn't puke, Seattle & Atlanta don't choke, and Goff doesn't.....Goff it up, and Brady is 0-9 in Super Bowls? 

GOAT Super Bowl Choker. 

 

I don't hate Brady that much ūüėĄ Though I'd be more inclined to be happy for him if he was beating teams like Dallas or San Francisco in the Super Bowl instead of title-less teams like the Panthers and Falcons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.