PittsburghSucks

2020 NFL Season

Recommended Posts

Anyone saying Mahomes is a fraud or not a great quarterback probably got their take from the same place they're talking out of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, FiddySicks said:


Barrett Robbins the first time around, now this. Tragic coincidence, for sure, but the Bucs Super Bowl opponents sure have had some wild days leading up to the game. 
 

How often does something like this happen? I feel like it’s probably not all that uncommon, with the pressure being so high leading up to the game. I also remember a Falcons DB getting arrested for soliciting a prostitute the night before the game against Denver. There has to be other pretty wild examples of stuff like this happening. 

 

Stanley Wilson likely cost the Bengals Super Bowl XXIII. They had a meeting the night before the game, Wilson said he had to go get his playbook, when he didn't immediately come back the running backs coach went to look for him and found him face deep in a Tony Montana* style mountain of cocaine. They had to suspend him and the offense, which relied heavily on play action fakes and no-huddles meaning they needed 3 backs to run it properly, didn't have a key contributor. 

 

 

*the game was in Miami, after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sport said:

 

Stanley Wilson likely cost the Bengals Super Bowl XXIII. They had a meeting the night before the game, Wilson said he had to go get his playbook, when he didn't immediately come back the running backs coach went to look for him and found him face deep in a Tony Montana* style mountain of cocaine. They had to suspend him and the offense, which relied heavily on play action fakes and no-huddles meaning they needed 3 backs to run it properly, didn't have a key contributor. 

 

 

*the game was in Miami, after all. 

As I think was previously mentioned, Eugene Robinson was the Falcon in question. As I have heard, Bronco receivers frequently trash talked him during the game, saying 'You look tired, Eugene. Out late last night?'

 

Congrats Bucs - you made it a boring game for anyone not rooting for you, and that must have made it great watching for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the morning after and... congrats Tampa Bay. That's about the extent of excitement I feel.  And quite frankly, I think I prefer fandom this way. 

 

Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty sure I shouted my head clean off my neck the first time around-- but that's was a summation of the journey from the Yuccaneers to the Three Pillars (Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, and John Lynch-- though I find it funny how Hardy Nickerson always gets left out of the story even though he was the first of the then-new guard to show up on the scene) and the Dungy Era, to the rebrand, the Oof of '99 (Bert Emanuel caught that ball, doggone it--and yeah I might still be salty about it 🤣), to trading half the future for Chucky to get us over the top--and all that's to say nothing of the way they did it (pick-sixes like a mug!). Of course I was also a college student living in my studio apartment back home in Florida at the time too, so it was all that plus some. 

 

I've moved eight times since then, and have met and joked with people from everywhere. Somewhere around 2013 I dropped my überfandom and just chose to enjoy the game (& then chose to back the Titans for a while some reason--I guess since their stadium was 8 miles from my front door).

 

All that to say this: I can appreciate greatness when I see it. And despite how much all this feels like the Lakers buying every superstar free agent they could find, what I saw last night was the greatest to ever do it--while wearing the laundry of my childhood favorite team. And I will admit, seeing those uniforms on the field again, in that spotlight (with the actual right font this time!) did conjure up some of those old feelings of nostalgia. So does the personalized Buccaneers jersey I still have from 20 years ago...haha.

 

(I guess this probably ain't the best time to mention that, if Brady does decide to hang it up after this, Tampa's backup option is none other than Blaine Gabbert, so umm...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The Bucs almost won a title wearing these. They got rid of them just in time...

 

usatsi_11918415.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

These, and Jameis Winston, are why they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2003. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olmec said:

IMO, Tom Brady has cemented himself as the greatest to ever play and win his sport. There were arguments to be made for Montana and Manning but that's moot at this point. This puts him in the same company as Jordan and Gretzky. I don't think baseball has a "GOAT" yet, definitely a distinguished number of guys who are/were great during their time or a period of time but not ALL-TIME. That distinction is reserved for Brady, Jordan, and Gretzky.


the Oilers won the cup a year or two after Gretzky left. There’s no way he can be considered in that tippy-top tier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, See Red said:

Ugh... yeah, you're right... that's terrible.  For what it's worth, I liked halftime this year.  It had to have been better than what we had in the early 2000's when it was, like, Phil Collins, Enrique Iglesias and Christina Aguilera or Aerosmith and N'Sync.

I don't even remember Phil Collins doing a Super bowl show, so it had to have been pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BBTV said:


the Oilers won the cup a year or two after Gretzky left. There’s no way he can be considered in that tippy-top tier.  

He had his own cartoon with Jordan and Bo, even Tom can't say that. 

Image result for nbc prostars cartoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As I think was previously mentioned, Eugene Robinson was the Falcon in question. As I have heard, Bronco receivers frequently trash talked him during the game, saying 'You look tired, Eugene. Out late last night?'

 

He also got dusted by Rod Smith in that game.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As I think was previously mentioned, Eugene Robinson was the Falcon in question. As I have heard, Bronco receivers frequently trash talked him during the game, saying 'You look tired, Eugene. Out late last night?'


I'm sure you're familiar with what happened with Eugene Robinson and the Broncos the year before too. I wonder if he ever lays in bed at night and thinks "ELWAY". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't even remember Phil Collins doing a Super bowl show, so it had to have been pretty bad. 

 

It was a cheesy Disney show at the Rams-Titans Super Bowl with Enrique Iglesias and Christina Aguilera singing some generic Disney song and Phil Collins dressed like he was going to the mall singing a song from Tarzan.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, See Red said:

 

It was a cheesy Disney show at the Rams-Patriots Super Bowl with Enrique Iglesias and Christina Aguilera singing some generic Disney song and Phil Collins dressed like he was going to the mall singing a song from Tarzan.

 

 

 

U2 was the halftime show for Rams/Patriots. Best halftime show ever...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PittsburghSucks said:

 

U2 was the halftime show for Rams/Patriots. Best halftime show ever...

 

Yeah, I thought about it after I posted since I remember all the names behind U2 and corrected to Rams-Titans.  I'd say Prince was the best ever for me (and I'm not even a huge Prince fan).  U2 was fine, but I think there were probably better options for the first post-9/11 halftime show.  Also, having just watched it again, it's kind of weird to me to hear people cheering and waving their glowsticks as the names of people who died in the 9/11 attacks are scrolling behind U2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, See Red said:

 

It was a cheesy Disney show at the Rams-Patriots Super Bowl with Enrique Iglesias and Christina Aguilera singing some generic Disney song and Phil Collins dressed like he was going to the mall singing a song from Tarzan.

 

 

OK, the pre 9-11 Super Bowl where everything was required to be happy and non-threatening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

OK, the post 9-11 Super Bowl where everything was required to be happy and non-threatening.

 

No, I put the wrong one.  It was Rams-Titans.  As @PittsburghSucks pointed out, Rams-Patriots was U2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have Super Bowl halftime show amnesia. Every year we go through the annual excoriation of the halftime show holding it to a crazy standard, as if it was ever that amazing, forgetting that it's pretty much always just slightly better than something you'd see during the American Music Awards.

 

These are the same people who go nuts whenever it in snows in March despite it snowing in March every year I have been alive. 

 

Prince's performance in 2007 was the best ever, if we're arguing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a bit odd and strange, but not surprising, how seemingly every sports media outlet has to point out that Brady beat Brees, Rodgers, and Mahomes to get this Super Bowl win. Yet, they all somehow forget that Tampa Bay had to go through a Taylor Heinicke-led Washington Football Team to get to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Eyed Peas was utterly abysmal, though. It was one of the critical blows that lead to band’s big hiatus for most of the 2010s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sport said:

People have Super Bowl halftime show amnesia. Every year we go through the annual excoriation of the halftime show holding it to a crazy standard, as if it was ever that amazing, forgetting that it's pretty much always just slightly better than something you'd see during the American Music Awards.

 

These are the same people who go nuts whenever it in snows in March despite it snowing in March every year I have been alive. 

 

Prince's performance in 2007 was the best ever, if we're arguing. 

 

 

Just remember the Three Stooges played the first Super Bowl. 

https://reneenicolegray.medium.com/the-evolution-of-the-super-bowl-halftime-show-bfc239ad49f8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.