2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

LOL incredible. Joe Burrow is for real, already looks like a seasoned veteran and made a patchwork offensive line of backups and idiots look functional. In the rebuild they have found the hardest piece, so at least there's that. 

It actually rules that the defense gave up 21 straight completions to Baker Mayfield and touchdowns on 5 straight possessions without Odell Beckham. That's hard to do. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the Detroit/Atlanta game... so that's twice this weekend (Atlanta, Penn State) that a team lost because they scored a touchdown late that they didn't need. Although I'm not going to blame Todd Gurley as much as the onus is on Dirk Koetter for calling that play - the Lions had no timeouts, there was a minute or so left, and the Falcons had the ball first and goal on the 10. Kneel it out and kick the field goal as time expires.

LvZYtbZ.png

4 hours ago, DEAD! said:

It is a shame that one of those NFC West teams cannot replace the NFC East "winner" because at least two of the NFC west teams will miss out on the playoffs. 

West can, in theory, send all four this year.

Dont forget, playoffs expanded to 14 teams.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, Sport said:

LOL incredible. Joe Burrow is for real, already looks like a seasoned veteran and made a patchwork offensive line of backups and idiots look functional. In the rebuild they have found the hardest piece, so at least there's that. 

It actually rules that the defense gave up 21 straight completions to Baker Mayfield and touchdowns on 5 straight possessions without Odell Beckham. That's hard to do. 

He really has amazed me. Seems like that 2019 LSU squad might've made the playoffs last year in the NFL and Burrow was the lynchpin of that. He's going to make Mike Brown's tenure look good by the time he's done in Cincinnati, I really mean that. 

Almost want to call him "Four-Way Joe" 

10 hours ago, DnBronc said:

It's called better weaponry. When he has weapons, he puts up the numbers. He has way better talent around him this year than he did last year.

They would have been a playoff team with just a QB who could cut Winston's interceptions in half.  Their defense was very underrated coming into the year considering how dominant they were against the run last year and how well the whole unit finished the season.  But them being Super Bowl favorites (or co-favorites maybe more appropriate) at this point is a testament to Brady.  Cam Newton suddenly being the worst player in the league in that Patriots offense says a lot about Brady as well (although I think it's Cam, as well).  Although I'm not sure the Patriots still wouldn't be bad even with Brady since that defense is way worse than last year.

IUe6Hvh.png

I hadn’t realized how bad the Bears have had it at the quarterback position historically until ESPN shared that stat about them having only two Pro Bowl quarterbacks (as in two QB’s with only one appearance each) in the Super Bowl era. Yikes.

Who was thier last truly great quarterback? Sid Luckman? It’s crazy that a franchise can’t get the quarterback position right long-term over a 50+ year span. Not that they’re the only ones, but still.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

15 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I hadn’t realized how bad the Bears have had it at the quarterback position historically until ESPN shared that stat about them having only two Pro Bowl quarterbacks (as in two QB’s with only one appearance each) in the Super Bowl era. Yikes.

Who was thier last truly great quarterback? Sid Luckman? It’s crazy that a franchise can’t get the quarterback position right long-term over a 50+ year span. Not that they’re the only ones, but still.

Kyle Orton was pretty good in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Being a Bears fan is rough.  Sure, there's infinitely worse franchises out there, but there's some sort of hex on the team where they can never get it right.  Last night's loss was so disheartening that I'm heavily considering doing what I haven't done in 20 years:  Not watching the games, not following the news cycle, not caring about the Bears.  At least for a season.

Like, it doesn't make me happy.  I can't think how it's really ever made me happy.  It feels like nearly every other franchise in the NFL can figure out how to field a kickass team on occasion, but the Bears make winning feel torturous, and losing feel baffling. 

They draft a premier tight end in Rd 2 of this year's draft and invest in Jimmy Graham, yet the offensive genius* calling the plays insists on forcing pass after pass to Demetrius Harris, who is objectively awful and brings no value whatsoever. 

They have a backup left guard with a decent pedigree on the bench, but insist on starting the former defensive tackle who they converted to right tackle who they converted to right guard at left guard, a position he had never played until last week.  They also have shown zero interest in signing Quinton Spain, conveniently released right on cue. 

They have a running back on the roster in David Montgomery who is excellent at 'running downhill,' yet on a huge 4th and 1 play they hand it off to Cordarrelle Patterson, a wide receiver they're repeatedly playing at halfback for some reason, and they run it to the left side - the same side that the aforementioned former defensive lineman is on, who has a crucial blocking assignment to make this play work.

(Spoiler alert about that 4th and 1 play:  Everybody failed gloriously; look at #69)

Then there's the postgame where the head coach, an admittedly personable and great leader, continues to reveal that he has no idea how to manage a clock or compose a gameplan.  He says "I've never been a part of something like this before.  Wrong.  Under Nagy, the Bears offense has scored once in the 3rd quarter in 2020, once.  This season and the 2019 season's offenses have been held to 1 touchdown or less four times. 

Under GM Ryan Pace, the team has spent 11 draft picks, 9 of which were first, second, or third round selections, on offensive talent.  Three of those players are either out of football or on other rosters, 1 of which is currently being benched for the awful Nick Foles, and the other is having 4th and 1 situations deferred from him to instead run Cordarrelle :censored: ing Patterson.

There's some really good stuff on defense, some solid talent on all sides of the ball, and there's positives to acknowledge for both Nagy and Pace's tenures and styles, but during games like last night, the Bears franchise announces itself as being and remaining an also-ran Mickey Mouse organization that for all of it's chest-beating still has no idea how to run an NFL franchise that can ever consistently be good.

edit:  Bonus footage of the defensive tackle they converted to right tackle who they converted to right guard who they are starting at left guard playing like an all pro

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

11 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I always thought of Chicago as the graveyard of quarterbacks. 

"But what about Cleveland?" Cleveland is just a graveyard in general. Not just the Browns or a particular position, the whole city is one.

And here I thought NYJ was the place careers went to die...

- John Riggins

- Art Monk

- Ronnie Lott (!)

- Boomer Esiason

- Brett Favre (except that whole retire/unsecured waffling thing)

- Chris Johnson (mainly...he had a little tread left in Arizona, but it was clear his best days were behind him in New York)

- Michael Vick (we saw the swan song campaign in Pittsburgh, so...)

I'm sure there's others, but y'all get the gist.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, CS85 said:

Being a Bears fan is rough.  Sure, there's infinitely worse franchises out there, but there's some sort of hex on the team where they can never get it right.  Last night's loss was so disheartening that I'm heavily considering doing what I haven't done in 20 years:  Not watching the games, not following the news cycle, not caring about the Bears.  At least for a season.

I did this with the Bengals the last two seasons and I'm pretty much only back this year because I want to see Joe Burrow wing the pig. Sunday afternoons with the impending week looming over one's head are bad enough. It was nice the last two years to not pile football angst on top of work angst. 

The only way to enjoy the NFL is to not care about the results, which I had to learn through a collapse on top of a choke on top of a meltdown in a playoff game 5 years ago. I've never really cared or followed sports the same way again. I came out the other side of that, broken, but renewed with a zen like approach to watching my favorite teams. I haven't spent more than 3 minutes grouchy about a loss since.

Like, it doesn't make me happy.  I can't think how it's really ever made me happy.  It feels like nearly every other franchise in the NFL can figure out how to field a kickass team on occasion, but the Bears make winning feel torturous, and losing feel baffling. 

I feel like this is true of all but like 4 to 7 franchises in any given season. The thing that I think keeps fans coming back to their crappy NFL teams is that everyone is always 5 years away from winning it all. 

I'd break the tiers down like this:

The Chosen Franchises
Steelers, Packers, Patriots

Won A Super Bowl In My Adult Memory So Like STFU For A While
Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks, Broncos, Giants, Saints, Ravens

Glory Days Are Ancient History, But Could Return At Any Time
49ers, Rams, Colts, Raiders*, Cowboys**

Exists
Vikings, Titans, Panthers, Buccaneers, Bills, Texans

Hopeless Unless Something Minor Changes
Bears, Cardinals, Falcons, Chargers, Dolphins 

Hopeless Unless Something Major Changes
Lions, Browns, Bengals, Jets, WFT, Jaguars

*up until a couple years ago they would've been in the "Hopeless Unless Something Major Changes" Tier, but the major change has been the shift to Las Vegas, which should provide some franchise stability for the first time since the early part of this century. 

**Cowboys fans might push back on this and I know they haven't been the model of competency in the last 20 years, but the league will always love the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones is always one step away from the grave. At any point the Dallas Cowboys could put it together and become the Lakers of the NFL again. 

4 hours ago, Buc said:

And here I thought NYJ was the place careers went to die...

- John Riggins

- Art Monk

- Ronnie Lott (!)

- Boomer Esiason

- Brett Favre (except that whole retire/unsecured waffling thing)

- Chris Johnson (mainly...he had a little tread left in Arizona, but it was clear his best days were behind him in New York)

- Michael Vick (we saw the swan song campaign in Pittsburgh, so...)

I'm sure there's others, but y'all get the gist.

Ladanian Tomlinson is the big one off the top of my head. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The thing about the Bears is that they carry themselves as if they're the Packers or Steelers but their body of work is more like the Bengals. It's frustrating to hear about how you're steeped in tradition and a cornerstone of the league but all you do is finish around .500 and lose to your rival all the time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived