PittsburghSucks

2020 NFL Season

Recommended Posts

Getting back to the whole overvaluing/not protecting prize QBs thing...I'll just say this and then shut up about it: if GMs and personnel gurus invested all those high dollars into offensive linemen the way they invest them into QBs, we might see some of these guys last longer and thus really prove their value. 

 

(See Luck, Andrew and Grigson, Ryan for a case example of how not doing that can go HORRIBLY wrong.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buc said:

Getting back to the whole overvaluing/not protecting prize QBs thing...I'll just say this and then shut up about it: if GMs and personnel gurus invested all those high dollars into offensive linemen the way they invest them into QBs, we might see some of these guys last longer and thus really prove their value. 

 

(See Luck, Andrew and Grigson, Ryan for a case example of how not doing that can go HORRIBLY wrong.)

 

What's sad is that Ryan Grigson was an offensive lineman in college at Purdue in the mid-90's. He should have known better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dont care said:

As a WR, all you are listening for is what your number is which indicates what route you’re running unless it’s a run play then there will be no numbers, then as a RB and lineman you are listening for which letter indicating what gap you are running. Also the formation you are running precedes everything. The option stuff came about after I graduated high school so I don’t know how that goes.

I was a guard in a veer offense (at least freshman and sophomore year, I honestly couldn't identify what the hell we were running junior/senior year, even if you showed me), and I remember rather vividly one time I mistook one call for its opposite (for reference, the linemen were numbered, center was 5, and IIRC lower numbers were to his right, higher to his left, RBs ran off that).  It was a trap run going through where I was lined up, and I was supposed to double team with the center, then peel off to the Mike while the other guard pulled.  For some reason, I thought the call was basically its mirror image, so I'd pulled by mistake, and ended up running into the other guard (man, was he pissed).  Naturally, the RB was stuffed immediately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buc said:

Getting back to the whole overvaluing/not protecting prize QBs thing...I'll just say this and then shut up about it: if GMs and personnel gurus invested all those high dollars into offensive linemen the way they invest them into QBs, we might see some of these guys last longer and thus really prove their value. 

 

(See Luck, Andrew and Grigson, Ryan for a case example of how not doing that can go HORRIBLY wrong.)

 

I try shouting this at Paul Brown Stadium every time I drive past it, but their attempts to fix the line have so far been largely ignored. 

 

People here are saying we need to lose out so we can take that dude from Oregon. Fine do that, but if he follows the pattern of the last 6 first round picks he will get injured early and miss most of his rookie year. Look at this bullshirt:

2020 Joe Burrow, knee exploded

2019 Jonah Williams* ripped his pec off in offseason workouts missed entire season

2018 Billy Price missed six games never effective.

2017 John Ross missed 13 games, famous bust. 

2016 William Jackson III missed entire rookie season with I think a shoulder injury

2015 Cedric Ogbuehi missed 11 games. Also a bust. 

 

*to be fair, dude has looked like the answer at left tackle so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Discrim said:

I was a guard in a veer offense (at least freshman and sophomore year, I honestly couldn't identify what the hell we were running junior/senior year, even if you showed me), and I remember rather vividly one time I mistook one call for its opposite (for reference, the linemen were numbered, center was 5, and IIRC lower numbers were to his right, higher to his left, RBs ran off that).  It was a trap run going through where I was lined up, and I was supposed to double team with the center, then peel off to the Mike while the other guard pulled.  For some reason, I thought the call was basically its mirror image, so I'd pulled by mistake, and ended up running into the other guard (man, was he pissed).  Naturally, the RB was stuffed immediately.  

That sounds way too complicated. Our teams o line would talk to eachother who they were blocking as they got to the line for the soul purpose that doesn’t happen. I’m sure it’s different at higher levels where teams will go ok the right guard is blocking this lineman so that means that it’s a run to what ever side but it’s not like the o line was yelling it to they’d just talk to each other and use their own code words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

derp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The NFL just needs to force a forfeit. It's the only way.

"What's that? Play the game anyways and hope for the best? You got it, chief!😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

"What's that? Play the game anyways and hope for the best? You got it, chief!😛

There's no way the game should be played in the current state. It's likely, even probable, that there'll be more positives tomorrow. Two days before the game is cutting it too close.

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The NFL just needs to force a forfeit. It's the only way.

Not a fan of forfeits...but, we do know the source of the outbreak, and we know that, from the Ravens response, that it was due to negligence on their part. Still, I'd rather a harsh punishment outside of forfeits (loss of multiple draft picks, fines, and even suspensions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a virus in a pandemic. The Ravens can't be trusted to show up healthy. If I played on the Steelers, I'd consider refusing to show up.

 

The Titans were given a gift earlier this year to let them sort themselves out while the rest of the league had their schedules blown up. It's too late in the season to do that again.

 

Everyone knows the risks involved and that positive tests can derail your game. The Ravens had every possible warning to sort their :censored:.  They didn't. They deserve to have the game taken away from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patricia is getting clowned by Romeo Crennel of all people on Thanksgiving. Will he be around by dinner tonight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions getting a Thanksgiving showcase every year is like if we had the Washington Generals being showcased on Christmas every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The NFL just needs to force a forfeit. It's the only way.

 

It should be, but the NFL is probably going to announce a "Week 18" to force this game to be played.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ, this game was painful to watch. Patricia better be gone and gone quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Christ, this game was painful to watch. Patricia better be gone and gone quick.

 

So why did the Lions fire Jim Caldwell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Three things are certain in life,

 

Death, Taxes, and Joe Buck & Troy Aikman having raging boners for the Dallas Cowboys


Lmao. Every fan thinks the announcers are against their team. 
 

Aikman certainly might have a soft spot for the Cowboys, but there’s no way Joe Buck would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:


Lmao. Every fan thinks the announcers are against their team. 
 

Aikman certainly might have a soft spot for the Cowboys, but there’s no way Joe Buck would. 

I’ve noticed Aikman tends to be more critical of the Cowboys choices. However, Buck is undoubtedly biased towards Dallas. The way he reacts to things they do compared to other teams is very noticeable. Just earlier, Washington TE Logan Thomas on a trick play tossed a dime to WR Terry McLaurin for a ~20 yard gain to an “Eh” reaction by the announcers. A little while later, Dallas RB Tony Pollard danced around the backfield before getting a 1 yard run for a first down and by Buck’s reaction, you would’ve thought Pollard won the Texas state lottery two times over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’ve noticed Aikman tends to be more critical of the Cowboys choices. However, Buck is undoubtedly biased towards Dallas. The way he reacts to things they do compared to other teams is very noticeable. Just earlier, Washington TE Logan Thomas on a trick play tossed a dime to WR Terry McLaurin for a ~20 yard gain to an “Eh” reaction by the announcers. A little while later, Dallas RB Tony Pollard danced around the backfield before getting a 1 yard run for a first down and by Buck’s reaction, you would’ve thought Pollard won the Texas state lottery two times over.

If you heard an 'eh' reaction on the Thomas pass, you need to pull something out of your ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’ve noticed Aikman tends to be more critical of the Cowboys choices. However, Buck is undoubtedly biased towards Dallas. The way he reacts to things they do compared to other teams is very noticeable. Just earlier, Washington TE Logan Thomas on a trick play tossed a dime to WR Terry McLaurin for a ~20 yard gain to an “Eh” reaction by the announcers. A little while later, Dallas RB Tony Pollard danced around the backfield before getting a 1 yard run for a first down and by Buck’s reaction, you would’ve thought Pollard won the Texas state lottery two times over.


That’s just a personal bias, my friend. Joe Buck is a fair, professional announcer. 
 

Go to any team’s message boards, and you’ll find fans who are convinced the announcers are biased against their team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.