2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

3 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

I have a pretty strong feeling that the season is either going to be suspended or cancelled by Christmas. 

If the Broncos play a mostly meaningless game with a running back at QB, I'm skeptical that anything gets cancelled.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

At what point do you start considering forfeits against the teams unable to control their outbreaks?

The NHL, NBA and MLS all gave up on previously scheduled regular-season games in their COVID seasons. They all managed to survive. MLS wound up ranking teams in the final standings on a per-game average basis because not everyone played a full season; again, so it goes. No reasonable person is going to go apoplectic, I think we all understand the constraints leagues have to deal with right now and things won't be as perfect as we're used to.

I'd imagine the NFL loses more money on a per-game basis than other leagues if a given game doesn't go forward. But this, too, should have been manageable by the league and their TV partners. If anything the NFL should have been the most resilient to COVID disruptions, given the league structure and learning from the summer. The fingers-crossed hope for a vaguely normal Super Bowl without rescheduling caused all these ripple effects that make the whole season a farce, and it looks like a worse bet by the day, to boot.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Discrim said:

By other countries, they've usually meant some of their Scandinavian neighbors, given that places like Belgium and Italy have had far higher death rates.  Hell, New York's idiot governor's been parading himself around as a virus-beater despite how colossally he's botched it's handling.  Not even gonna go into how frequently various politicians have flouted the lockdowns they themselves okayed.

In any event, I might keep an eye on the Ravens' situation, if only to see whether any of their positive cases actually needs to be hospitalized (as you might have guessed, I'm skeptical that lockdowns, social distancing, et al, were even necessary.)

So then I take it you don't know anyone that's actually been critically ill or even died from this thing.  

Whether or not any Ravens need to be hospitalized is irrelevant.  If you have an outbreak and can't control your players, you don't know who they're unknowingly passing it on to, which could be your parents, grandparents, or tons of other people who could die.

You may live in the middle of nowhere where this is imaginary, but as someone who lives where this is very much real - shut up - you sound like a moron.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One thing the NFL could potentially do is cancel an entire week's worth of games to let everyone catch up. It would be a bummer and piss off networks to no end, but I think it's the only way to equitably pause and reflect on how to move forward.

And if fans complain about tickets they've purchased to games they can kiss my whole ass since they're a huge part of the reason the COVID pandemic continues.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's what they did during 9/11. Week 2 became Week 18. Probably the smartest thing to do next week. 

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

You may live in the middle of nowhere where this is imaginary, but as someone who lives where this is very much real - shut up - you sound like a moron.

I believe Discrimihater lives somewhere in the Kenosha-Racine corridor where it's decidedly real. It's still fair to note that the response has been erratically lax and draconian, though; that's why we're in this mess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One thing the NFL could potentially do is cancel an entire week's worth of games to let everyone catch up. It would be a bummer and piss off networks to no end, but I think it's the only way to equitably pause and reflect on how to move forward.

And if fans complain about tickets they've purchased to games they can kiss my whole ass since they're a huge part of the reason the COVID pandemic continues.

They'd never do that because money is more important to them. 

They're already losing a :censored: ton trying(and failing) to work around this pandemic.  

maybe I’m giving everyone too much credit, or I’m too cynical, but I’ve always felt that all the stakeholders — league, players, TV — knew going in that the logical thing to do would be to build in extra bye weeks, more latitude for flex, etc. for exactly this reason, but nobody wanted to blink first because whoever did would end up being the sucker who takes the financial hit in admitting the obvious. So here we are.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Dynasty said:

So the Broncos have no QB for Sunday.

And this is new how?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's what they did during 9/11. Week 2 became Week 18. Probably the smartest thing to do next week. 

I believe Discrimihater lives somewhere in the Kenosha-Racine corridor where it's decidedly real. It's still fair to note that the response has been erratically lax and draconian, though; that's why we're in this mess.

Eh, not the first time I've had a dissenting opinion regarding a hot button issue.  I'll never claim to be a medical expert, just a guy who remembers these other diseases, reads a good deal of articles, and wonders what makes this one different enough for it, as well as the fear of it, to impact humanity the way it has.  

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The difference is that this was probably genetically engineered for maximum communicability, loss of life, and chaos (you can get it and feel nothing, or get it and die, who's to say). You couldn't catch ebolavirus by breathing near someone. Screwing with our football season this much, that alone should get a city of theirs vaporized before even taking anything else into account.

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Nah.  The NFL will probably do a week 18.

There's too much money changing hands with this league. NFL is the normie sport, they more than anyone else have to get it done. You could have stuck a fork in the NBA season in March, people would have blogged about the genius and grace of Adam Silver, and no one would have minded. You could have cancelled the NHL season and no one would have noticed. Not playing the Super Bowl? Unthinkable!

Just now, GDAWG said:

That one's from the "truth is stranger than fiction" files for sure. I had no idea.

26 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Eh, not the first time I've had a dissenting opinion regarding a hot button issue.  I'll never claim to be a medical expert, just a guy who remembers these other diseases, reads a good deal of articles, and wonders what makes this one different enough for it, as well as the fear of it, to impact humanity the way it has.  

I can't tell you why it's different, just that hospitals are overflowing and desperately calling each other in search of ICU beds and finding none while also pulling up morgue trucks for all of the bodies, and doctors worrying about deciding who gets to go on the ventilator for a 50/50 shot at life and who gets to die.

Archived