PittsburghSucks

2020 NFL Season

47 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Similar to my experience.  I only knew of them from reading SI when Don Majkowski was the savior and they drafted Tony Mandarich, who was supposed to be the best player ever.  Then some guy named Dilwig, and I think even Mike Tomczak played there.  I too couldn't understand how there could be a team in Green Bay Wisconsin, and how they were still in the league when they were always bad. Then Bryce Paup wrecked Randall Cunningham's knee, and I decided I hated the Packers forever.

It all changed when after suing for free agency, Reggie White said (literally) that God told him to sign in Green Bay.  That made them relevant again, then obviously Favre and we know the rest.

Favre first, then Reggie. Favre helped to bring Reggie here. Reggie broke Favre in half, possibly including breaking ribs, and the fact that Favre kept playing was part of what attracted Reggie here.

Sorry about the Paup hit - I had forgotten that.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Favre first, then Reggie. Favre helped to bring Reggie here. Reggie broke Favre in half, possibly including breaking ribs, and the fact that Favre kept playing was part of what attracted Reggie here.

Sorry about the Paup hit - I had forgotten that.

Bryce F'n Paup.  No Eagles fan old enough to have been there will ever forget that man's name.  That Eagles defense was number 1 across the board - arguably the best single-season defense in NFL history - and they didn't make the playoffs, despite going 10-6 with Jim McMahon, Pat Ryan, Brad Goebel, and Jeff freaking Kemp at QB.

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

They've fully embraced the tank.

Those are almost entirely Bears fans, to be fair. 

22 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It's odd.  My 25 year old son bascially only knows a Packer team Quarterbacked by Hall of Famers. He doesn't realized how spoiled he is. My 20 year old son, who only REALLY started to follow football 7 years ago has no idea how to handle a bad game from the Packers, and it annoys the crap out of me.

I can smile and recall the days of David Whitehurst and Jerry Tagge and Scott Hunter and Jim Del Gaizo, and I appreciate how good we have it now. I hope anyone who has been a fan in the good times can behave the way they should, but better yet, can ENJOY it while it happens, because you never know when a collarbone will get broken, or a contract situation will boil over, or someone's ego will get in the way and it all goes south.

Some quote about living long enough to become a villain...I have been a Seahawks fan my whole life and it started with some decent teams in the late 80s with Dave Krieg and Steve Largent heading to the twilight of his career. Then came the early 90s and it came with some very bad to mediocre seasons. By the new millennium, they were completely irrelevant. Fast forward to the mid-2010s and they became the villains of the league. Everyone not a Seahawks fan hated them it seemed. My favorite time was when I was called a bandwagon fan and was asked to name any former Seahawk. Fandom is a funny thing.

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Some quote about living long enough to become a villain...I have been a Seahawks fan my whole life and it started with some decent teams in the late 80s with Dave Krieg and Steve Largent heading to the twilight of his career. Then came the early 90s and it came with some very bad to mediocre seasons. By the new millennium, they were completely irrelevant. Fast forward to the mid-2010s and they became the villains of the league. Everyone not a Seahawks fan hated them it seemed. My favorite time was when I was called a bandwagon fan and was asked to name any former Seahawk. Fandom is a funny thing.

I have Dave Krieg's autograph (Milton College, no longer in existence, Milton, WI). At one time, he was a minority owner of the Green Bay Blizzard from af2. I have his autograph on a Blizzard mini helmet (along with Brian Noble, another minority owner from the same timeframe).

This upcoming offseason might be one of the more interesting ones for the QB position than last year, although it could also end up being a boring offseason for QB if the large salaries of Carson Wentz and the Matts (Stafford and Ryan) prevent any of them from being released or traded.  Also Drew Brees might retire.  

Eagles may be in full tank mode tomorrow night.  Possible that Wentz doesn't even dress as QB2 just to preserve him for a trade and to allow QB3 to play the second half - like it's a preseason game.  Other vets may not play much, in favor of seeing young guys.

They haven't said any of this, but that's the speculation by the media.  

The DC Jim Schwartz also may have just retired - won't be back with the team at least.  Not sure if he's even coaching tomorrow or if he threw up the piece sign and walked out the door.

14 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Eagles may be in full tank mode tomorrow night.  Possible that Wentz doesn't even dress as QB2 just to preserve him for a trade and to allow QB3 to play the second half - like it's a preseason game.  Other vets may not play much, in favor of seeing young guys.

They haven't said any of this, but that's the speculation by the media.  

The DC Jim Schwartz also may have just retired - won't be back with the team at least.  Not sure if he's even coaching tomorrow or if he threw up the piece sign and walked out the door.

Their third QB is Nate Sudfeld, who last threw a pass in 2018.  It was a TD though.  

Report: Jags incredibly interested in Urban Meyer

iSR2TTM.gif

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Their third QB is Nate Sudfeld, who last threw a pass in 2018.  It was a TD though.  

Yes, he played the silly-meaningless game against Dallas before they went on to become the Super Bowl LII champions by defeating the stupid Falcons, ridiculous Vikings (who were dumb enough to give them a #1 pick for Sam Bradford - SKOLololol), and then the Patriots in Super Bowl LII, which cememented their status as Super Bowl LII champions (because they won Super Bowl LII - a title that neither the Vikings (lolololol) nor Patriots won.)

On 12/27/2020 at 4:39 PM, GDAWG said:

With the 1st pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, The Jacksonville Jaguars select......Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson

I've mentioned this to several Jags fans down there: Trevor Lawrence ain't saving that franchise. No hotshot QB is going to save that franchise. In fact, this type of thinking needs to eradicate itself from the ranks of NFL team execs like now.

I think the last surefire first-round QB who actually managed to lead his team to some sustainable success was Andrew Luck...and that was coming off the heels of Peyton Manning. And we saw what happened to him, same as what just happened to promising young Joe Burrow, and its the same thing that's gonna keep happening to these bajillion-dollar hotshot investments until team brass figures out that the games are won in the trenches, and start valuing those trench positions more than they do, i.e. actually investing in their O-linemen, you know, to protect those bajillion-dollar hotshot investments. But what do I know...I'm just some random trucker dude who sees things from afar. 🤷‍♂️

Oh and, of course, to only further prove how Jville continues to spin its wheels and thus not go anywhere: Urban Meyer is apparently reported to be named as the next Jaguars coach.  Lots of Jaguars fans down in FL are pretty excited about this; I am not (nor am I in FL). I just don't see this working out long-term, if at all, probably because I remember the reasons he left both Florida and Ohio State...this is the NFL, it ain't college; there's a whole different level of pressure there. But who knows; maybe time away from the game has rejuvenated him for three or four more years. 

33 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I've mentioned this to several Jags fans down there: Trevor Lawrence ain't saving that franchise. No hotshot QB is going to save that franchise. In fact, this type of thinking needs to eradicate itself from the ranks of NFL team execs like now.

I think the last surefire first-round QB who actually managed to lead his team to some sustainable success was Andrew Luck...and that was coming off the heels of Peyton Manning. And we saw what happened to him, same as what just happened to promising young Joe Burrow, and its the same thing that's gonna keep happening to these bajillion-dollar hotshot investments until team brass figures out that the games are won in the trenches, and start valuing those trench positions more than they do, i.e. actually investing in their O-linemen, you know, to protect those bajillion-dollar hotshot investments. But what do I know...I'm just some random trucker dude who sees things from afar. 🤷‍♂️

Oh and, of course, to only further prove how Jville continues to spin its wheels and thus not go anywhere: Urban Meyer is apparently reported to be named as the next Jaguars coach.  Lots of Jaguars fans down in FL are pretty excited about this; I am not (nor am I in FL). I just don't see this working out long-term, if at all, probably because I remember the reasons he left both Florida and Ohio State...this is the NFL, it ain't college; there's a whole different level of pressure there. But who knows; maybe time away from the game has rejuvenated him for three or four more years. 

1st overall draft picks make less than 9 million a year. It’s fairly small when you see teams paying that much for their backups. It’s worth the risk to get some energy into a franchise and build the team around them in the time before they need to give him another contract. Also it’s not like they don’t have the draft capital or salary cap room to build a team around them.

Confirmed - Eagles tanking to the WTFs today.  Sorry Dallas/NYG.

Hurts probably won't even play a half, and any starter that's for sure coming back won't play much - if they even dress.  It's basically an audition game for rookies and 3rd teamers.

Carson Wentz potentially open to restructuring his contract - even taking away pu to $20M in guarantees - if it helps with a trade or to just get straight-up released (which will not happen.)

Carson Wentz is a great example of how some guys just aren't cut out for pressure or dealing with adversity.  He needs to go somewhere small and where it just doesn't matter.  I heard someone throw out Pittsburgh (if Ben retires) but while it's small, it certainly matters, and I don't think he'd make it there.  Indianapolis or Jacksonville (if they trade #1 pick or don't draft Lawrence for some reason) or Minnesota (if they cut ties with Cousins) would be fine.  Even NE, which doesn't have the same kind of football fan base that most of the other big-market teams have.

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Hurts probably won't even play a half, and any starter that's for sure coming back won't play much - if they even dress.  It's basically an audition game for rookies and 3rd teamers.

I wonder if the NFL might fine them for this. Probably not, but I think when it's obvious you're using regular season games to figure out what you have going forward there needs to be some type of punishment. 

I feel like there’s going to be a wild QB storm this offseason

Retiring?

Drew Brees (NO)

Alex Smith (WAS)

Philip Rivers (IND)

Ben Roethlisberger (PIT)

Tom Brady (TB)

Released?

Cam Newton (NE)

Mitchell Trubisky (CHI)

Dak Prescott (DAL)

Ryan Fitzpatrick (MIA)

Tyrod Taylor (LAC)

Jimmy Garoppolo (SF)

Traded?
Carson Wentz (PHI)

Matt Stafford (DET)

Matt Ryan (ATL)

Sam Darnold (NYJ)

Deshaun Watson (HOU)

The two biggest wildcards on this list are Prescott & Watson. Ironically both wear 4 and play in Texas. Besides the point.

With Prescott, does Dallas give Dak the benefit of the doubt and FT/give him a big contract or do they stick with Dalton (or sign someone else) and let him walk?

With Watson, there’s rumors that Deshaun, even after signing a huge contract, would want out of Houston. It doesn’t surprise me. Unless they find the right coach, that team is a toxic environment for Watson.