2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

27 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Well the Eagles aren't hiring Josh McDaniels... or the people's choice Duce Staley.

Who the hell is Nick Sirianni?  Not that I know who even 25% of coordinators in the league are, but this seems like the kind of guy that is young, itching for a promotion no matter how bad the situation, and will just be controlled and discarded like Doug Pederson was.

He's also the first local coach/manager in my lifetime to be younger than me.  Has nothing to do with his ability to be a successful coach, but makes me feel old, and that soon I'll probably be working for someone younger than me, which shouldn't matter but kinda does.

I got a real LOL out of this line from an article about him: "According to the Inquirer's Jeff McLane, an NFL source described Sirianni as “fairly smart but not super smart” but he's “likely to top out at a B-level coach for a team that is in the mix to make the playoffs.”

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sport said:

I got a real LOL out of this line from an article about him: "According to the Inquirer's Jeff McLane, an NFL source described Sirianni as “fairly smart but not super smart” but he's “likely to top out at a B-level coach for a team that is in the mix to make the playoffs.”

I don't need a coach to be "super smart".  I need a coach to acknowledge that he's not "super smart" and surround himself and take input from people that are.

There's nothing worse than when someone who's average things that they're smarter than everyone else.  Being stupid is OK - as long as you know it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

While we’re talking about players who need to be in the HOF, one comes to mind immediately who will likely be a snub

spacer.png

spacer.png

I will always Stan for Dot Com.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

New meathead coach of the Detroit Lions:

"This place has been kicked. It's been battered. It's been bruised. And I could sit up here and give you coachspeak all day long," Campbell said Thursday. "I can give you, 'Hey, we're going to win this weekend.' None of that matters, and you guys don't want to hear it anyway. You heard enough of that s---, excuse my language.

"Here's what I do know. This team is going to take on the identity of this city and this city has been down and it found a way to get up. It's found a way to overcome adversity, right? So this team is going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth, right? And when you punch us back, we're going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we're going to get up and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off. All right? And we're going to stand up and it's going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we're going to take your other kneecap and we're going to get up and it's going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do, we're going to take another hunk out of you.

"Before long, we're going to be the last one standing. That's going to be the mentality."

I'm not a football player and I don't know how many of them like punching and biting kneecaps or anything. My impression, however, is teams like KC and Buffalo and Green Bay or having a ton of fun racking up lots of points and running innovative offenses.

NFL Blitz had its moment, but I don't think that moment is now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Guys like that not only get head coaching jobs, but get six year contracts, while Black coaches like Eric Bienemy, Duce Staley et al get passed over, sometimes because they "didn't have play-calling responsibility", but then the Eagles hire some white dude that nobody has ever heard of despite him never calling plays.

I listened to that guy's conference and it blows my mind that a person like him could hold a "respectable" job.  It furthers my point that football coaches should not be thought of as geniuses or mad scientists.  They're all dumb-AF meatheads - it's just that some of them wear glasses and look smart.

EDIT: Jeff Lurie is as progressive an owner as there is in all of sports and I don't feel even for a second that race consciously played into his hire, but it's a really bad look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Guys like that not only get head coaching jobs, but get six year contracts, while Black coaches like Eric Bienemy, Duce Staley et al get passed over, sometimes because they "didn't have play-calling responsibility", but then the Eagles hire some white dude that nobody has ever heard of despite him never calling plays.

I listened to that guy's conference and it blows my mind that a person like him could hold a "respectable" job.  It furthers my point that football coaches should not be thought of as geniuses or mad scientists.  They're all dumb-AF meatheads - it's just that some of them wear glasses and look smart.

EDIT: Jeff Lurie is as progressive an owner as there is in all of sports and I don't feel even for a second that race consciously played into his hire, but it's a really bad look.

Campbell has basically the exact same coaching credentials as Staley. He was the Dolphins' interim HC in 2015 and a TE coach otherwise, and had been the assistant HC and TE coach in New Orleans since 2016. Staley was a ST quality control coach (whatever that is), and the assistant HC and RB coach in Philly since 2018. What exactly puts Staley above Campbell? Just because you haven't heard of him from reading sensationalized sports headlines doesn't mean the people tasked with finding a new coach to turn their garbage franchise around haven't either.

Bienemy has been on the interview carousel multiple times and been passed over by everyone who gave him a chance.The guy is the OC for one of the best offensive-minded head coaches of the modern era and has a laundry list of personal problems in the past. How exactly would his race play into this? Is every owner who passed over him sub-consciously racist?

It's really odd to me that you watched his press conference speech and got "dumb-AF meathead" out of it. I don't get how you can take a basic fire-up-the-troops speech and accuse Campbell, who you said you know nothing about, of being a low IQ moron who can't coach a team and who only has a job because he's white.

I'm not sure an introductory press conference is the time to "fire up the troops", and I certainly wouldn't want any troops that would be fired up by that to be fighting for me.

I don't really know much about Bienemy as a coach, just that he's been mentioned as one of the "hot coordinators" for a few seasons now, and yet dufus after dufus get hired and no black coaches seem to get close.  Maybe he's a bad interview (did anyone even interview him?) and maybe he's not qualified - I'm not going to die on the Eric Bienemy hill - but out of six hires, not one was African American?  I think it's perfectly fair to question the qualifications of many of the hires over the past couple of seasons and think that there might have been some other candidates.

I'm not saying that all of these owners and GMs are racist (but let's not pretend that they're all "equal opportunity" employers) but it's fair to think that there may be some unconscious bias in the coaching searches.  What is there now - 1 out of 32 head coaches is African American?  Come on.

The Duce Staley thing is more of a local thing - I wouldn't expect him to get any job outside of Philadelphia.  I won't get into his qualifications or endorsements because it's one of those things where there's a lot of local context needed to get it. 

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

New meathead coach of the Detroit Lions:

I'm not a football player and I don't know how many of them like punching and biting kneecaps or anything. My impression, however, is teams like KC and Buffalo and Green Bay or having a ton of fun racking up lots of points and running innovative offenses.

NFL Blitz had its moment, but I don't think that moment is now.

Great to see my man 3 Year Letterman finally land a job in the big leagues

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

Well the Eagles aren't hiring Josh McDaniels... or the people's choice Duce Staley.

Who the hell is Nick Sirianni?  Not that I know who even 25% of coordinators in the league are, but this seems like the kind of guy that is young, itching for a promotion no matter how bad the situation, and will just be controlled and discarded like Doug Pederson was.

He's also the first local coach/manager in my lifetime to be younger than me.  Has nothing to do with his ability to be a successful coach, but makes me feel old, and that soon I'll probably be working for someone younger than me, which shouldn't matter but kinda does.

If it was Josh McDaniels, all he would do is be announced as Eagles Head Coach and then change his mind.  

As for black coaches in pro sports, the NBA this past offseason did a better job.  When Steve Nash was hired by the Brooklyn Nets, Stephen A Smith went on a tangent wondering why they didn't hire a black coach.  This last shortened off-season, there were 9 vacancies in the NBA, and three black coaches were hired: Stephen Silas (Houston), Doc Rivers (Philly) and Tyron Lue (LA Clippers).  Plus the NBA is one step closer to having their first ever female coach as I believe that Becky Hammon will take over for Pop.  In the NBA, I counted 7 Black Head coaches (Philly, Cleveland, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, LA Clippers and Phoenix), a Latino Coach (Charlotte) and Asian (Eric Spoelstra.  He's half Filipino).  That's not a lot but it's a better number than the NFL though.  

For the record, the count of minority coaches in the NFL right now is 4:

- Mike Tomlin (African-American)

- Brian Flores (Afro-Honduran)

- Ron Rivera (Mexican/Puerto Rican)

- Robert Saleh, newly hired at the jets (Lebanese - the first Muslim head coach in NFL history)

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

32 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I sure hope he's okay.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, Brass said:

NO! Keep Matt Patricia away from this team, especially the defense.

You had two decades of being in the Super Bowl conversation, along with six titles. Karmically, you should be forced to have Patricia be a player/head coach for at least five years.

2 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

New England is the only place that clown could get a job, even then it's probably as Bill's errand boy. 

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived