2020 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Speaking of Detroit 

Watch him get traded to Houston, for the 1st round pick they got from Miami for trading Watson. 

He won't go to Houston unless he's a man of faith....in other words, only if he's the type of QB Jack Easterby wants.

Could Stafford take the Vikings to the playoffs? The WFTs? The Dolphins?

Maybe, but it's hard to say. The most important player on an NFL team is the QB. Stafford is generally seen as a good QB in a bad situation, but generally, the great QBs make their situations good.

I don't know enough about the Lions to know what else he or the team could have done to support him -- losing Megatron sucked, obviously -- but if he can't consistently lead a team to the playoffs, then I'm not sure he's worth a first round pick. Especially on the back end of his career.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Stafford was given basically no chance to succeed in Detroit.

He had Megatron.

His next best option? Brandon Pettigrew.

After that? A regular Rogue's Gallery.

A porous defense, shoddy offensive line, and subpar receivers outside of two players? You're basically doomed if you're a QB in that situation.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Could Stafford take the Vikings to the playoffs? The WFTs? The Dolphins?

Maybe, but it's hard to say. The most important player on an NFL team is the QB. Stafford is generally seen as a good QB in a bad situation, but generally, the great QBs make their situations good.

I don't know enough about the Lions to know what else he or the team could have done to support him -- losing Megatron sucked, obviously -- but if he can't consistently lead a team to the playoffs, then I'm not sure he's worth a first round pick. Especially on the back end of his career.

Not necessarily. Deshaun Watson is a borderline generational talent, but without a capable defense and DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans went 4-12.

-Disclaimer: the following statement may be influenced by my personal bias towards the Cowboys-
I’d say Dak Prescott(at his worst) and Stafford(at his best) are about even, but Dallas went 2-3 and were poised to go 8-8 because of their shoddy defense had he not gotten hurt.

For as much stick/support as teams like Cleveland and Buffalo get for being long-suffering NFL franchises, the Lions really are something else on that front.

They've won precisely one playoff game since 1957 (in other words, the 2020/21 Cleveland Browns have as many playoff wins as the Lions have achieved in nearly six and a half decades!), and have only even reached 10 wins seven times during that entire period. Not to mention forever being tarnished with the "first ever 0-16" moniker, as well as having generational talents at both RB and WR up and quit the league early rather than continue having to play for them.

What on earth is it that makes them such a consistent black hole of a football team?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Stafford was given basically no chance to succeed in Detroit.

He had Megatron.

His next best option? Brandon Pettigrew.

After that? A regular Rogue's Gallery.

A porous defense, shoddy offensive line, and subpar receivers outside of two players? You're basically doomed if you're a QB in that situation.

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Not necessarily. Deshaun Watson is a borderline generational talent, but without a capable defense and DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans went 4-12.

-Disclaimer: the following statement may be influenced by my personal bias towards the Cowboys-
I’d say Dak Prescott(at his worst) and Stafford(at his best) are about even, but Dallas went 2-3 and were poised to go 8-8 because of their shoddy defense had he not gotten hurt.

Fair enough.

I'd like to see Stafford given a chance to succeed because Detroit is the worst situation in the NFL. They watched two all-time talents at their positions retire rather than continue play in that city, and they left the game 15 years apart. The franchise hasn't moved forward in any real way in my lifetime, and the best they had was that year a playoff win against the Cowboys was taken away from them.

I'm convinced. Free Matt Stafford! And then contract the Lions and their new meathead coach.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My favorite Detroit Lions thing is when Lomas Brown laughed at the Eagles and guaranteed a win in their playoff game in '96 ('95 season) and then their former QB Rodney Peete dropped 58 points on them, sending them back to Detroit humbled and broken.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

RE: Stafford's worth. Someone made the good argument on Twitter that Stafford is coming off of pretty much the same season Alex Smith did prior to being traded to Washington for a third rounder and Kendell Fuller.

Matthew Stafford in 2020 - 4,084 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs,

Alex Smith in 2017 - 4,042 yards, 26 TDs, 5 INTs

However, considering that first round draft picks have been exchanged for players in positions much less important than QB recently, it looks like the Lions might be able to get a king's ransom for Stafford or considering how they've "mutually" agreed to part ways, maybe something even less than what Washington gave up for Smith? It's going to be interesting to see what teams offer and what Detroit eventually accepts. Buckle up!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

How many teams will be competing for him?  Indianapolis and WFT?  He's what - 33?  So the Jets probably don't want him since they're starting from scratch.  Houston (if they unload Watson?)

The only leverage the Lions have is if teams compete against each other for him, and it doesn't seem like there's that many suiters for a 33-year-old QB that hasn't ever won anything of note, whether all his fault or not.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a resident of the great city of Detroit (who is thankfully not a Lions fan, by virtue of not being born here), I feel like I have a pretty unbiased view of Stafford as a quarterback. He has a great arm and is tough as nails, but has a tendency to fail when the pressure is highest. Also, whenever the Lions have tried to bring in a more complicated offensive system, it's been a bit of a disaster, and they've had to dial it back. I certainly wouldn't give up a first round pick for him, especially at his age, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if someone does. I think that team will be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure it won't be the Vikings... They already have Cousins, and he and Stafford are pretty much the same guy.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

How many teams will be competing for him?  Indianapolis and WFT?  He's what - 33?  So the Jets probably don't want him since they're starting from scratch.  Houston (if they unload Watson?)

The only leverage the Lions have is if teams compete against each other for him, and it doesn't seem like there's that many suiters for a 33-year-old QB that hasn't ever won anything of note, whether all his fault or not.  

I think pats would be in the running too. Especially if they don’t get a QB in the draft

17 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Hopefully he goes somewhere that's well run and won't waste the rest of his career.

I was gonna say that I know of a team that could use an experienced veteran--and has the draft capital to get him in a trade--but then you put in the qualifier "well run", so there went that...

12 hours ago, waltere said:

For as much stick/support as teams like Cleveland and Buffalo get for being long-suffering NFL franchises, the Lions really are something else on that front.

They've won precisely one playoff game since 1957 (in other words, the 2020/21 Cleveland Browns have as many playoff wins as the Lions have achieved in nearly six and a half decades!), and have only even reached 10 wins seven times during that entire period. Not to mention forever being tarnished with the "first ever 0-16" moniker, as well as having generational talents at both RB and WR up and quit the league early rather than continue having to play for them.

What on earth is it that makes them such a consistent black hole of a football team?

Usually, with issues like that, that have lasted as long as they have, one has to go all the way to the top of the food chain...so my guess is the ownership.  I don't know how long the Ford family has owned the team nor do I care to look it up, but I'm willing to bet dollars that's where the issue is.  That was also the case for the Cardinals under Bill Bidwill; the Buccaneers under Hugh Culverhouse (you might look up exactly how Doug Williams ended up in Washington and then you may understand some things); despite the three Super Bowls, the Cowboys under Jerrah (and the continuing soap opera the Cowboys are destined to be until he is out of the picture in some way or another), and the Bengals under Mike Brown (shoot, some would say that still is the issue in Cincinnati.)  And speaking of owners of toxic situations...

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

As a resident of the great city of Detroit (who is thankfully not a Lions fan, by virtue of not being born here), I feel like I have a pretty unbiased view of Stafford as a quarterback. He has a great arm and is tough as nails, but has a tendency to fail when the pressure is highest. Also, whenever the Lions have tried to bring in a more complicated offensive system, it's been a bit of a disaster, and they've had to dial it back. I certainly wouldn't give up a first round pick for him, especially at his age, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if someone does. I think that team will be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure it won't be the Vikings... They already have Cousins, and he and Stafford are pretty much the same guy.

...Getting back to my first quoted post, and continuing from my second, if I'm Shad Khan, I'm on the phone with Detroit stat--unless he really thinks Mike Glennon is a viable insurance policy for the investment they're all but set to make into Sunshine Lawrence (much to my chagrin--but whatever).  And if that's the case, well then no more words need be said; that alone will illustrate the ineptness.  Now, with all that said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Stafford end up in the same place so many other decent veterans past their prime historically ended up: New York, with the Jets.

(Though the Texans could certainly use Stafford--does anyone think the Texas might entertain the thought of swapping Watson for Stafford and some picks/cash/player considerations? Does Detroit even have enough capital to pull off a move like that?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived