MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

19 minutes ago, Maroon said:

The whole shebang right here, including full colors:

I went through the images, and I thought the magenta was bright, but my god is that yellow obnoxious. River blue is a nice color, but it's ruined by the other ones. And I'm not sure why having gray is a good idea when you already have white and three other colors, especially since they don't use it on the crest.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Magenta and yellow clash pretty terribly, no? There’s definitely the potential for good kits with magenta and navy (other than the cited Cerezo Osaka, the Hamburg away Kit  a few years back was similar). But I can’t think of magenta and yellow looking pleasant next to each other in any context. This might have been the one time a straight red/blue

color scheme would have been preferable.

The crest is a mess, the arch isn’t easily recognizable, the rivers don’t really read as such and the floating SC with the sideways script is just terrible. The name is aggressively boring but that has become par for the course for MLS. A problem exacerbated by the City/county  divide. They need to stop trying to please everyone by going the least daring option, personally if they weren’t going to use an Olympic name I thought Gateway FC with no city name would have been great. My hope is that when inevitably change their crest they‘ll also adopt a new name.

• Like 3
07Giants.pngnyy.png

22 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

My first impression was, that it looks like a good logo for a J-League club. Later I noticed, it's the colours of Cerezo Osaka.

osaka-japan-4-oktober-2015-cerezo-osaka-

Let's not drag Cerezo into this, their crest is actually well-made. 

spacer.png

What's funny is Cerezo is my favorite J-League team, specifically because of their crest and colors. But they actually know how to balance it and didn't shove yellow and gray into the scheme as well. That crest isn't even good for J-League, those are either great or qualify for the "so bad it's good" exception. St. Louis CITY Soccer Club's crest doesn't look good, and I can't imagine how they'll incorporate yellow into the palette without minimizing magenta or having it clash hard. Maybe it'll be a blue kit with magenta/yellow striping? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

The crest is a mess, the arch isn’t easily recognizable, the rivers don’t really read as such and the floating SC with the sideways script is just terrible. 

The arch is immediately recognizable, and if you know the St. Louis flag the rivers make a lot of sense. 

Agreed that the floating SC ain't great.

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

7 minutes ago, Maroon said:

The arch is immediately recognizable, and if you know the St. Louis flag the rivers make a lot of sense. 

Agreed that the floating SC ain't great.

The arch is very noticeable (should be yellow but I digress), but I have to disagree with you on the rivers.

spacer.png

In the crest, the rivers are straight lines that run parallel to the arch and perpendicular to it, but on the flag, the rivers are wavy (defining them as rivers) and meet at a single, defined point to suggestion confluence (the fleur-de-lis).

spacer.png

The crest, to me, doesn't suggest rivers, it suggest the crossbar of an A and some lines that look like New Mexico United. I have to be told that those are rivers, and I still don't see it. That's an example of failed symbolism, because they tried to get a little too cutesy with it and ended up confusing the viewer.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

Magenta and yellow clash pretty terribly, no? There’s definitely the potential for good kits with magenta and navy (other than the cited Cerezo Osaka, the Hamburg away Kit  a few years back was similar). But I can’t think of magenta and yellow looking pleasant next to each other in any context. This might have been the one time a straight red/blue

color scheme would have been preferable.

The crest is a mess, the arch isn’t easily recognizable, the rivers don’t really read as such and the floating SC with the sideways script is just terrible. The name is aggressively boring but that has become par for the course for MLS. A problem exacerbated by the City/county  divide. They need to stop trying to please everyone by going the least daring option, personally if they weren’t going to use an Olympic name I thought Gateway FC with no city name would have been great. My hope is that when inevitably change their crest they‘ll also adopt a new name.

I agree, how they employ yellow will be interesting. 

They used yellow and the red/magenta color for all of their social media videos in the run-up to the announcement, and I didn't see any issues with it. You can see it on display on the background of the team's Twitter home page. 

spacer.png

I said it before, I'm not in love with the name. I hate the sideways type on the crest. And I'm genuinely impressed by the colors. 

But even if the name is a bit pedestrian, and the other elements have flaws, I still applaud the St. Louis group for at least attempting something interesting with the crest and colors. I found the entire Charlotte reveal to be bland and unsurprising, and I'd much rather see a brand take risks, even if they miss. 

• Like 1

The colors are great; like the Cardinals, only bolder.

Everything else is not my cup of tea. I have a sinking feeling that the crest is going to look terribly dated in 5 years when trends change and rotated text goes out of style. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GFB said:

The colors are great; like the Cardinals, only bolder.

Everything else is not my cup of tea. I have a sinking feeling that the crest is going to look terribly dated in 5 years when trends change and rotated text goes out of style

Rotated text is in style?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

is there an updated version of this?

I suspect @Gothamite will get around to it.

52 minutes ago, Maroon said:

if you know the St. Louis flag the rivers make a lot of sense

Eh.  Having grown up in the area, I'm very familiar with the flag, and it took quite a bit to see those lines as representing the rivers.

As for the colors: I don't mind the magenta and navy idea... just don't tell me it's red.

(Oh, and complete aside, but I went to a Cerezo Osaka game a few years ago and had a great time.  Also, despite Wikipedia showing it as an old crest, the team website still shows "Cerezo Osaka" on their crest.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

2 minutes ago, -kj said:

I suspect @Gothamite will get around to it.

I don't mind the magenta and navy idea... just don't tell me it's red.

Oh, and complete aside, but I went to a Cerezo Osaka game a few years ago and had a great time.  Also, despite Wikipedia showing it as an old crest, the team website still shows "Cerezo Osaka" on their crest.

Just checked, it's true.

spacer.png

In what some could call fate, it seems that Cerezo stylizes their name as Cerezo OSAKA, connecting the two teams further. If STL CITY SC balances magenta with navy like Cerezo does, they'll be a very good-looking team, but by introducing yellow and gray I'm worried they'll throw it all off.

Like Charlotte, St Louis is a flop as well. I guess our only hope now is Sacramento. Im guessing they will keep the Republic name but change the logo, but honestly I think their look is already MLS worthy.

Not a fan of the deep pink, salmon, magenta, pink or whatever its called but it aint red. Im also not a fan of them only using the two colors in the logo. If they are gonna have gray and yellow at least have it somewhere in the logo. I get the logo . The arch, and the rivers but it could've been applied better.

Not a fan of the name. The league is nothing but Uniteds, Citys and FCs. Like Charlotte, they had the opportunity to be different but failed. I guess the name would be a bit more tolerable for me if they spelled out Saint rather than the St.

Signature intentionally left blank

3 hours ago, Maroon said:

The whole shebang right here, including full colors:

St. Louis CMYKs.

The wordmark looks great! This is going to sound snarky, but it's not -- this look is in right now:

10-x-5-x-18-Thank-You-Shopping-Bags-1000

Cool of a pro sports club to take it up.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags