MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Better yet, replace the SC with STL or the entire acronym, STLCSC. That may be a bit clunky, but I don't know that it would look much different than if they were Roman numerals denoting a year. 

Maybe that's another option: Don't put letters in that space, but the year established: 2023. 

Or leave it blank. Anything besides the lonely "SC."

Also agreed. I'd go with STL out of those options, but all those suggestions work. Another option would be 1764 for the city's founding. And since the team is St. Louis City, it could work. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

The new logo, at a glance, looks good but there is definitely a sense that “a diverse group of over 20 local designers”, as the press release states, had a hand in this and interestingly not one of them could explain what the angled lines under the Arch represent.

That is not surprising.

This is not a good logo.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That is not surprising.

This is not a good logo.

No, it's not. And it joins a league full of not-good logos. For all of MLS' charms -- and there are several -- I think I've made my piece with the fact the the league's graphic design is wildly inconsistent. And maybe that's intentional; you see a wide variety of skill and talent throughout European badges, so why not in the US as well?

Question: When was the last time an MLS team redesigned its badge without renaming the team? I know Portland had some minor tweaks, but was the last wholesale redesign (without a rename) Colorado? Galaxy with Beckham? I must be missing something obvious, right?

[pre-post EDIT: duh, it's Crew.]

Anyway, that's a long way of seeing Seattle desperately needs a redesign.

[post-post EDIT: actually, it was the fourth reich United, right?]

Edited by DG_ThenNowForever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

No, it's not. And it joins a league full of not-good logos. For all of MLS' charms -- and there are several -- I think I've made my piece with the fact the the league's graphic design is wildly inconsistent. And maybe that's intentional; you see a wide variety of skill and talent throughout European badges, so why not in the US as well?

Question: When was the last time an MLS team redesigned its badge without renaming the team? I know Portland had some minor tweaks, but was the last wholesale redesign (without a rename) Colorado? Galaxy with Beckham? I must be missing something obvious, right?

[pre-post EDIT:] duh, it's Crew.

Anyway, that's a long way of seeing Seattle desperately needs a redesign.

Chicago?

• Like 1

I’ll add to my previous post: Microgramma/Eurostile just looks terrible here. I normally like those fonts, but here it gives off a generic vibe. 

St. Louis City SC just seems like such a non-entity, even in the context of MLS identities. I don’t want North American-style name polluting MLS again, but something within a different European tradition would be nice.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’ll add to my previous post: Microgramma/Eurostile just looks terrible here. I normally like those fonts, but here it gives off a generic vibe. 

St. Louis City SC just seems like such a non-entity, even in the context of MLS identities. I don’t want North American-style name polluting MLS again, but something within a different European tradition would be nice.

Which is why I was really hoping for something from French naming conventions. That way it would still be Euro style, but completely unique among MLS.

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

August 14, 2020 - 17:24 PM

Yes, it would seem that they’re from the ‘Lou’, and they are proud. St. Louis, one of several cities slated to join Major League Soccer as an expansion club over the next few years, announced their name and unveiled their logos via their social media account yesterday afternoon. They shall

Read More...

• officeglenn changed the title to MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

MLS is just the worst. I kind of want them to collapse. Seattle and Portland and other cities that care will find a way to have a club still. Although I’m sure MLS will hold onto the trademarks for dear life even though they weren’t even the original creators in the aforementioned cities.

Fortunately they keep finding investors who keep finding more investors who keep finding more investors.

I wonder if there is a name for that kind of scheme...

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Updated. 

Just guessing on the Charlotte and St Louis shirt colors, and I'm not willing to guess on the STL MLS badge colors, so that one stays gray for now.

EfWkxH4XYAEcP_6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It’s a bloody shame that Inter Miami square is white. Why they didn’t run with a pink Jersey is mind blowing to me. I hope STL isn’t afraid to rock that magenta.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

MLS is just the worst. I kind of want them to collapse. Seattle and Portland and other cities that care will find a way to have a club still. Although I’m sure MLS will hold onto the trademarks for dear life even though they weren’t even the original creators in the aforementioned cities.

What, just because they don't want North American-style names? That's a lame reason to want to kill the most successful endeavor of North American soccer.

9 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Fortunately they keep finding investors who keep finding more investors who keep finding more investors.

I wonder if there is a name for that kind of scheme...

MLS is not a Ponzi Scheme or any other kind of scam operation.

• Like 6

Just some further information about the name

City was among the most popular of the approximately 6,000 submissions and suggestions the club received, and in the end it beat out United, Gateway and Stars among “the four names that kind of kept coming back up,” she said.

and

Gateway would’ve been the most original and locally relevant choice, but for Kindle Betz that would’ve been a bug rather than a feature.

“You wouldn’t understand Gateway, necessarily, if you don’t live in this region,” she said, adding that the term could be misappropriated and used in phrases like “gateway drug.”

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/08/14/st-louis-city-sc-mls-plans-carolyn-kindle-betz 

MZnWkGU.png

St. Louis was a sort of birthplace city for American soccer in a way. It would be nice if they found a way to pay tribute to that (and I don't mean Soccer Capital, because I'm not a rube), instead of the usual generic Britishisms. I don't think a French name would solve that either, StL is a much more diverse area than just French, and besides, you're just running into the MLS as Soccer Epcot problem yet again.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

“You wouldn’t understand Gateway, necessarily, if you don’t live in this region,” is some of the most baffling and backwards logic I've ever heard, especially when you consider they ended up with "City" and went out of their way to spin it as "representing all the neighborhoods of STL." They're spinning a generic name that several other teams share as being uniquely StL, while discounting an actually unique name that would have only worked for STL for being too obscure (which, it's not). 

I've been to St Louis once when I was 8 years old and even I know it's referenced as the Gateway to the West.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

What, just because they don't want North American-style names? That's a lame reason to want to kill the most successful endeavor of North American soccer.

To be honest I kinda dig the mix of North American and European name branding. It has a certain charm and quirkiness that I feel fits the MLS. It also hits American soccer fans that are pulling for the MLS’ growth, and American fans of Euro football.

You wouldn't understand "Gallon Of Sweat Cascading Down Your Ass Crack In July FC" if you didn't live in the region. "Gateway City" is something anyone can understand. 

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫