MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm always down for all things French, but St. Louis to me, especially as far as its long-established soccer culture goes, is just as much German, Italian, and Irish as it is French.

Definitely. But a reference to the French origins would be nice, since Montréal screwed it up.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'd say to call 'em "Ball-Kickin' Ethnic Catholics United," but I guess now they have a lot of soccer-playing Bosniaks, too.

Provel FC sounds about right. The city’s Euro origins are processed to heck and back, kind of messy, and might not be appealing. 

The city name is French, many of the streets are French names that are just absolutely Americanized/butchered in pronunciation, but the culture isn't that dissimilar from growing up in the Chicago suburbs to me. A lot of South City reminds me of the southwest suburbs, in both good and bad ways. Culturally, there's very little that's French about St. Louis. 

I was reading somewhere about how most of the old French quarter was demolished to make way for the Arch. Leclede's Landing is all that's left of it and has always felt like it should be more than it is.

I don't think I have ever set foot in the southwest burbs, unless Joliet counts. It's not on the Southwest Line so I didn't immediately think of it as such. But definitely none of the Paloses.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hmmmmm...

5oWzYk4m.png

AD4RUu0l.jpg?1

I may be reading too much into the similarities of the classic Star Wars font and that used in MLS4THELOU's recent branding reveal tease, but the NPSL / NASL St. Louis Stars did play their final season in 1977... the same year that Star Wars debuted in cinemas.

Would the new St. Louis MLS franchise follow in the branding footsteps of their brethren in San Jose, Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver by resurrecting a North American Soccer League moniker?

21 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Hmmmmm...

5oWzYk4m.png

AD4RUu0l.jpg?1

I may be reading too much into the similarities of the classic Star Wars font and that used in MLS4THELOU's recent branding reveal tease, but the NPSL / NASL St. Louis Stars did play their final season in 1977... the same year that Star Wars debuted in cinemas.

Would the new St. Louis MLS franchise follow in the branding footsteps of their brethren in San Jose, Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver by resurrecting a North American Soccer League moniker?

👀

On 7/21/2020 at 2:17 AM, UnclearInitial said:

The only name I’ve liked so far is Olympique but that’s almost impossible due to the IOC. 

They don't seem to have issues with the Gatineau Olympiques.

spacer.png

Man, they killed that whole identity by taking away the purple and orange. Why would a flaming torch be grey? It's bad enough on its own, but there's already a black/white team in Blainville, too (who themselves replaced the very nice, ersatz-Maroons identity of the Montreal Juniors). 

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Stars just sounds bland. I get the history there, but I’m just not sure.

Trust me... Stars wouldn't be my choice. In fact, I don't necessarily think it would be the first choice of a majority of St. Louis soccer supporters. That said, based upon what I've heard and read from friends in St. Louis, in on-line communities, and via media coverage, it does seem that Stars would be an agreeable second choice for many potential MLS St. Louis fans. If the team's owners haven't found that any one potential identity has jumped out as a clear first choice amongst Name-the-Team suggestions, or resonated with focus group attendees, might said owners be more amenable to resurrecting Stars as a significant part of the brand if it were clearly the second choice of most people?

Look, for all I know, the perceived similarities in the fonts that I pointed out are mere coincidence. They could be part of a purposeful - and tremendously creative - misdirection on the part of the MLS4THELOU principals. Who knows? The only thing of which I'm certain is that I'm hyper-attuned to such potential "connections" as I while away the hours in the peaceful isolation that is "The Summer of COVID".     

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

Impact is the same in both languages and they switch the city/nickname order based on language context, what else are they supposed to do?

Use a French name that’s not also in English? I know you’re not supposed to translate proper nouns, but a French name or a Ligue 1-style mane would’ve been better.

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Use a French name that’s not also in English? I know you’re not supposed to translate proper nouns, but a French name or a Ligue 1-style mane would’ve been better.

They had two decades of history with this name when entering MLS, and also Anglophone Montreal is a thing that exists. To me those are both more important than imitating Ligue 1, if the goal is to make your team relevant to your target local market.

• Like 4

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Hmmmmm...

5oWzYk4m.png

AD4RUu0l.jpg?1

I don’t think Stars held that same cachet that say the Cascadia NASL brands did, and frankly this seems to me more like fun synchronicity than clever hint... but still I hope this is true. It would be a breath of fresh air at this point.

the fact that we have to debate which ethnic group is the one a St Louis team ought to draw inspiration from suggests that maybe a different path is needed in this city’s case.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

They had two decades of history with this name when entering MLS,

Ah, that would be why they stuck with that awful name.

and also Anglophone Montreal is a thing that exists.

...and continues to dwindle.

To me those are both more important than imitating Ligue 1, if the goal is to make your team relevant to your target local market.

Fair point. I just hate the name "Impact." It's too '90s "xtreme" for my taste, right alongside "Dallas Burn." I'd rank it among the worst in MLS, right between Real Salt Lake and New England Revolution. 

Impact blows, black and blue together like that looks dismal and it's the name of the meme font.

My preference was always Citoyens as a hyperlocal counterpart to Canadiens.

• Like 1

I haven't been following this whole thing, but could the nickname "Archers" conceivably be used (as an obvious double entendre)?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||