Jump to content

MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo


gosioux76
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Buc said:

I haven't been following this whole thing, but could the nickname "Archers" conceivably be used (as an obvious double entendre)?


It certainly could, as there's been no official indication that Archers has been eliminated from contention as a part of the team's branding. Even if Archers weren't part of the official identity that team ownership unveils, there would be nothing preventing supporters from using it as an organically-adopted secondary nickname.

Interestingly, the top of this placeholder badge on the MLS4THELOU website...

fNrRMptm.png

... could certainly accommodate the upper curve of the Gateway Arch.

Further, the 8.13.20 tease that MLS4THELOU released...

B7CQKIml.jpg?1

... features thin yellow and red lines at the bottom. Yellow, red, and blue have been associated with the Carolyn Kindle Betz-led MLS bid since its launch, so the presence of two of said colors in the teaser image doesn't come as a surprise. The placement of the bits of yellow in the image are interesting, as they're spaced in such a way that they could be a portion of a depiction of the Gateway Arch - specifically, the point where the Arch's legs make contact with the base of the logo.

Time will tell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I haven't been following this whole thing, but could the nickname "Archers" conceivably be used (as an obvious double entendre)?

Would it be an issue that one of the teams in the Premier Lacrosse League is called the Archers?

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

I’ve seen this list floating around as "official," as in, the team would most certainly have one of these names.

spacer.png


Per Ben Frederickson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in a recent Q&A linked to his regular column: 

"I know it's not Legacy. I know it's not Confluence. Those can be scratched from the list."
  
Realistically, I think you can slash this list to the first six names.
 


 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Further, the 8.13.20 tease that MLS4THELOU released...

B7CQKIml.jpg?1

... features thin yellow and red lines at the bottom. Yellow, red, and blue have been associated with the Carolyn Kindle Betz-led MLS bid since its launch, so the presence of two of said colors in the teaser image doesn't come as a surprise. The placement of the bits of yellow in the image are interesting, as they're spaced in such a way that they could be a portion of a depiction of the Gateway Arch - specifically, the point where the Arch's legs make contact with the base of the logo.

Time will tell. 

 

That all sounds like something of a callback to these...

 

cut.jpg

 

(Side note: I miss the 90s, when team identities, especially in hockey, took risks...)

 

...As for the club name, it seems they are dead set on spelling out the "Saint" in "St. Louis"--funny since not even the post office does that there. Any particular reason for that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:


It certainly could, as there's been no official indication that Archers has been eliminated from contention as a part of the team's branding. Even if Archers weren't part of the official identity that team ownership unveils, there would be nothing preventing supporters from using it as an organically-adopted secondary nickname.

Interestingly, the top of this placeholder badge on the MLS4THELOU website...

fNrRMptm.png



 

 

Anyone else getting a St. Louis Browns vibe?

 

spacer.png

 

This would not be new for St. Louis either. Local club soccer uses the King Louis statue in their logo:

 

spacer.png

 

The short lived Athletica also used it for inspiration:

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

 

Anyone else getting a St. Louis Browns vibe?

 

spacer.png

 

This would not be new for St. Louis either. Local club soccer uses the King Louis statue in their logo:

 

spacer.png

 

The short lived Athletica also used it for inspiration:

 

spacer.png


Fun fact: The Scott Gallagher logo was used as the emblem for St. Louis Soccer United, the first serious ownership group dedicated to landing an MLS team in the STL back in the late '00s. Word is they would’ve used that as the crest for the new team if we were awarded the franchise then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I’ve seen this list floating around as "official," as in, the team would most certainly have one of these names.

spacer.png

Not a fan of MLS naming conventions so Archers is the only one here that's any good imo. Always thought it was long overdue we had a sports team with that name anyway

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Looking at the list again I just noticed the last one. I can’t believe they’re considering calling them the Brewers! I mean, we have a big brewery, and a good microbrewer community here, but still...


There is no way they can select the nickname of a Cardinals rival. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m all for MLS stepping away from North American naming conventions forever. 

"Today we have a tantalizing triple header for you.

 

Our first matchup is between Toronto FC and Charlotte FC. We'll follow that up with a match between FC Dallas and FC Cincinnati, and our final match will be between Austin FC and LAFC."

 

article-0-0173558D00000578-366_634x395.j

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2020 at 7:47 PM, Buc said:

...As for the club name, it seems they are dead set on spelling out the "Saint" in "St. Louis"--funny since not even the post office does that there. Any particular reason for that?

 

Since I moved here a year or so ago, I've noticed a fair amount of "Saint" references. Some are more recent, like Saint Louis FC and Hotel Saint Louis, but others are long-standing and, in some cases, historic organizations: Saint Louis Zoo, Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis University. 

 

Unlike, say, St. Paul, where you rarely see the use of the word "Saint" in identifying the city, St. Louis seems to embrace both spellings equally. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • officeglenn changed the title to MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.