MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

6 minutes ago, uk-owns-iu said:

Needs yellow

It's not on the crest, but apparently yellow is a secondary color. Per the Post-Dispatch:

City Red, River Blue, Arch Steel Grey and Energy Yellow.

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

I like the abstract Arch overlooking the rivers. Also, a plus that the crest isn't a roundel.

However, I'm not a fan of the blue/red colors or the placement of the "St. Louis City" or "SC" text.

Further, why mention grey and yellow as colors if they’re not in the crest?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Watching the livestream, the blue almost looks dark purple next to this shade of red. 

I don't see purple personally, but it's dark enough that it could even look black to me. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

5 hours ago, docbrass said:

Is that close to Cardinals red?  Looks like "SC" was stuck on at the bottom.  could be better with year.

That is exactly what I first thought of when seeing it, and it makes sense too considering how popular the Cardinals are there. I really like the unique take on a boring color scheme.

Outside of that though, the name is ok bordering on dull and the crest is bad. I can't decipher any meaning out of it and all of the elements are so disjointed and tacked on. The crest shape shouldn't interact so weirdly with all of the symbols inside like this one does.

• Like 1

spacer.png

I'm seeing more of a magenta than a true red.  Is that just me?  I'm seeing it that way on two different screens.

Overall:  woof.  Some ok ideas with some just awful execution.  The font's awful, the SC floats out by itself away from the vertical text, the Arch/rivers mashup is illegible as is, it's just all terrible.

Oh, and given the St. Louis City/County divide and all the history behind that, naming the team City is a pretty dumb idea.

• Like 7

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yet again, a generic name that's already used enough repeatedly in the league. This doesn't feel like the right path for MLS to take, to me. Made considerably worse by the specific fraughtness of STL's city/county dynamic.

I do like how the logo is put together, though it feels like it will get dated quickly, and there's little to latch onto in terms of a brand. Interesting choice on the red, hopefully that plus a good jersey design will set them off from Chicago, Dallas and RSL.

a magenta/blue quartered jersey could be a great look. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Their social media hashtags have capitalized CITY. I wonder if it’s an attempt to make that an official/unofficial name in MLS. Bold play if they are since NYCFC is part of the “City” team of the EPL. 

Name: Not what I wanted for stated reasons, but their promotional materials certainly are trying to play up the concept that the entire Saint Louis metro area counts as the "City" that they're representing. It also seems they're wanting to go by "City" which is gonna be interesting considering there's two other "city" teams in MLS. People calling it STL City or Lou City and dropping the "SC" seems more likely. Their website (which is not up yet) is apparently stlcitysc.com and I can't imagine using STLCSC as a full acronym. 

Colors: Straight fire. 100% support them as they are unique and should look amazing on a kit. interested to see how grey and yellow are incorporated. 

Crest: My one critique is that the name is on the crest, and even worse, it's vertical. But the stylized arch and rivers are beautiful and I will hear no criticism of them.  

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

4 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Their social media hashtags have capitalized CITY. I wonder if it’s an attempt to make that an official/unofficial name in MLS. Bold play if they are since NYCFC is part of the “City” team of the EPL. 

I've wondered that with all the Citys in the league. Is NYCFC "City"? I think of them as NYC; "Pigeons" is great but doesn't seem to be much more than a meme. Orlando has pretty clearly leaned into the Lions thing as a short identifier. These guys could be a "City", maybe, can't see a better option. "Come on you Arches" doesn't quite work. The magenta and blue is kinda clunky too.

1 minute ago, Survival79 said:

SLCSC?

STLCSC. Somewhere, a scorebug designer weeps.

• Like 4

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

I've wondered that with all the Citys in the league. Is NYCFC "City"? I think of them as NYC; "Pigeons" is great but doesn't seem to be much more than a meme. Orlando has pretty clearly leaned into the Lions thing as a short identifier. These guys could be a "City", maybe, can't see a better option. "Come on you Arches" doesn't quite work. The magenta and blue is kinda clunky too.

I don’t think of NYCFC as “City,” but the majority owners also own Manchester City and I do think of them as “City.” Feels like, to me at least, that St. Louis is forcing its way onto another club’s turf. 

I might be overthinking it. 

Just now, BC985 said:

I don’t think of NYCFC as “City,” but the majority owners also own Manchester City and I do think of them as “City.” Feels like, to me at least, that St. Louis is forcing its way onto another club’s turf. 

I might just be overthinking it though. 

No I totally agree with you, Man City is the "City" there in my mind, whereas Leicester, Norwich, Coventry tend to get reduced to the place name instead. I haven't felt like NYCFC eliminates the place name the way MCFC does in common vernacular, despite the common ownership and comparable local-derby aesthetic. No offense to St. Louis but maybe they wouldn't feel a need to define themselves around the place name the way a New York team would.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The name isn't great, but at least it isn't yet another [City] FC. The red looks strangely pink, although that might just be my monitor. Their crest makes me think the jersey is either half-and-half or stripes, both of which I'd be okay with. They'll need to make themselves stand out, especially in a league that already has two teams that are red with navy accents.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

15 minutes ago, Digby said:

I suspect STL will suffice.  I mean, they reduce Minnesota United to MIN (though I'd prefer MNU).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The name isn't great, but at least it isn't yet another [City] FC. The red looks strangely pink, although that might just be my monitor. Their crest makes me think the jersey is either half-and-half or stripes, both of which I'd be okay with. They'll need to make themselves stand out, especially in a league that already has two teams that are red with navy accents.

In the livestream interview with the owner and chief "brand architect" they said it's 'City Red' but that it was intentionally shifted closer to pink. I'd describe it as more of a magenta. 

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png