Sebastianm

Next city to get an NFL team

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Sebastianm said:

What will be the next nfl city?

 

There's 32 teams in 30 cities - and it could easily be argued that there aren't 30 NFL cities.

 

1.  Look at who needs wants a new stadium and isn't getting it.  Then...

2.  Look at what cities are willing to give a billionaire a tax-payer-funded multi-billion-dollar stadium.

 

I'm not sure there's anyone begging for a stadium right now, and due to the pandemic, it's unlikely that any city could possibly commit that kind of money to something considering how many are going broke and having to raise taxes just to try and make up for billions in lost revenue.  

 

Don't forget - cities are businesses too, and this isn't a great time for many businesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

There's 32 teams in 30 cities - and it could easily be argued that there aren't 30 NFL cities.

 

1.  Look at who needs wants a new stadium and isn't getting it.  Then...

2.  Look at what cities are willing to give a billionaire a tax-payer-funded multi-billion-dollar stadium.

 

I'm not sure there's anyone begging for a stadium right now, and due to the pandemic, it's unlikely that any city could possibly commit that kind of money to something considering how many are going broke and having to raise taxes just to try and make up for billions in lost revenue.  

 

Don't forget - cities are businesses too, and this isn't a great time for many businesses.

I’m asking for the community’s opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sebastianm said:

I’m asking for the community’s opinion.

 

Am I not a member of this community?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sebastianm said:

Utah, San Diego, San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Orlando, and Birmingham are all great reps!

You know somebody should do a spring league with all of these cities...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL has 32 teams, 8 divisions of 4 teams.  32 is a nice number and a nice balance.  The NFL doesn't need to expand anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sebastianm said:

Utah, San Diego, San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Orlando, and Birmingham are all great reps!

San Diego won’t pay for a new stadium. San Antonio, Portland, birmingham don’t have the infrastructure. St. Louis has already failed 2x. Orlando is too close to both Tampa, Jacksonville, and even Miami for any of those teams to agree to a new team taking part of their market

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont care said:

San Antonio, Portland, birmingham don’t have the infrastructure.

Portland and Birmingham yeah, but have you ever seen the Alamodome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sebastianm said:

Portland and Birmingham yeah, but have you ever seen the Alamodome?

They’d want a new stadium. Not a nearly 30 year old stadium that currently would be one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm going to throw a curveball and say that someone in San Diego decides to build their own stadium, buys the Chargers from Spanos and brings the Chargers back to where they belong.

 

As it is, I don't see the world economy, much less the US economy, recovering in the near future. The potential collapse of Three Gorges Dam in China will not help matters either. So expansion is out and relocating is the only way I can see new markets in the NFL.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is we don't have any relocations this decade. If there are relocations I can only think of 2 teams that might. In no particular order: Jags and Bills. And even though they have the best chance, I still think both of them will still be in their respective cities by the end of this decade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the relocations of the Rams, Chargers and Raiders, the NFL is going to want a measure of franchise stability for at least the next decade.  The Raiders to Las Vegas will be the last relocation for a while.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington, DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, heavybass said:

Well what's going on right now is probably going to eliminate the Jags from relocate to London


Nah, time zones killed that a long time ago.  Covid is just making it official. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hugevolsfan said:

You know somebody should do a spring league with all of these cities...

 

Needs more Memphis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.