NWHL Unveilings

dcameronh

8 hours ago, JLJ said:

I can tell you that for plenty of people from urban neighborhoods the area code means a lot. You may find it silly, but it’s definitely a point of pride for many people.

So people are "proud" of an area code that they don't even have?  Philadelphia's long standing land line area code was 215.  For decades, if you lived in the area, you had a 215 area code.  Then that got reduced to just city proper, and they started rolling out new ones for the suburbs.  Now the city itself has three area codes, and if you move here, you aren't getting a 215. I do occasionally see shirts or caps that say "215" on them, and I laugh because it's very likely that the wearer has a 267 or 610 or 484 area code - or whatever one they had from where they moved from, since they have no regional significance anymore.

So yeah, I think it's silly.  Sillier than the ATL thing, since at least that's always going to be accurate, and a reasonable person should know what it means.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rey Mysterio would like a word with you, sir.

The relatively recent fascination with area codes would be an interesting case study. One of the more successful local "civic pride" t-shirt companies in Pittsburgh's entire business model is just slapping a 412 logo on everything, and they seem to make money hand over fist. Same thing happened here - I grew up 45 minutes outside of the city, and at some point they switched our area code from 412 to 724. So by Drake Logic, I guess that makes Pittsburgh "The Two." Can't possibly see anyone making any jokes about that.

Anyway yeah, Six is a weird name. Points for trying to think outside of the box, but ehh.

Thing about area codes is that they were assigned in order of "how inconvenient is this to dial on a rotary phone," hence the big three of 212, 213, and 312, down to 313 for Detroit, 314 for St. Louis (or the other way around), 215 for Philadelphia, down to 909 for San Bernardino. So if you're trumpeting an area code whose digits add up to more than, say, 10, you're really just doing a self-own, even if cell phones have made dialing less of a self-own. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Area codes have more local significance, if only as civic pride. Charlotte has two area codes: 704 and 980. 704 in particular is somewhat of a brand in the city, with 704 Shop being the biggest local apparel manufacturer (as well as the only private business with permission to sell the Charlotte crown on its own). I don't mind referencing the area code in marketing material, etc, and Memphis 901 FC doesn't bother me, and neither does this. My first thought was six players on a hockey team and the double meaning of area code as well as borough unification is a neat little bit of marketing speak. Overall neutral towards the brand.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I mean, we already have Raptors 905 as almost an antithesis to "The Six". 416 becomes 905 as you head out of Toronto towards Niagara Falls, and the Raptors 905 play in Mississauga, which is 905 territory.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I’m pretty sure it is the six boroughs. Most of these comments need to be moved to an area codes discussion board 😆

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So people are "proud" of an area code that they don't even have? 

I mean Drake made a song, people like the song, people like Drake, the nickname stuck. I've never cared for it. Toronto was "TO" or "T-dot" when I was a kid, and "the Six" is sort of what eclipsed that, so my Old Man phase just sort of rejects it out of hand. Still, it's popular.

Not a good idea for a team name though.

Stuff like this and "ATL" are dumb, in my opinion. And ye old tyme sporting name of "the Six/the Nine/the Silver Seven" doesn't work because that was just old school media lingo and not what teams called themselves. So "Toronto Six" fails for me on three fronts. As a name because of a Drake song, as an old timey name because those are dumb, and from a branding perspective because @DEAD is right. Way to rep Toronto hockey with Ottawa colours.

I'm sure someone would have had a problem with "Lady Leafs," but just go with that. The Leafs are big enough that it would have infinitely more brand equity than whatever this is.

15 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I’m pretty sure it is the six boroughs. Most of these comments need to be moved to an area codes discussion board 😆

I thought the six was referring to the boroughs as well. It just so happens 6 is used in Toronto's area codes as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I saw, I came, I left.

They are also team number six in the league.  It's destiny!  There is nothing more Canadian then trying to shoehorn the maple leaf into the logo design. I honestly don't see the stick they are talking about in the negative space, either.  

I will say I'm glad to see the underused color scheme of red, black, and metallic gold happening, maybe the jerseys will be the hockey versions of what the Raps keep coming close to but not actually doing. The Senators don't really use the gold enough for me; barely exists outside of their logo and even there it's more of an amber.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

14 hours ago, DEAD! said:

I thought the six was referring to the boroughs as well. It just so happens 6 is used in Toronto's area codes as well.

It seems that it just depends who you ask. Some include the boroughs thing and some just say it's the 416/647 area codes.

My favorite was when someone I met at a BBQ tried to convince everyone it was because the Leafs are one of the original 6 teams. 

I won't rehash it cause @IceCap said it all but I remember "the big smoke" and "hog town" also being nicknames for Toronto. I'm sure this nickname will go eventually too and I'll be happy when it does. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

12 hours ago, M4One said:

They are also team number six in the league.  It's destiny!  There is nothing more Canadian then trying to shoehorn the maple leaf into the logo design. I honestly don't see the stick they are talking about in the negative space, either.  

Toronto's area code number - 6

Players on ice - 6

Team number - 6

EVIL

13 hours ago, Midway said:

How many different variations of the maple leaf can Canadian sports teams beat us over the head with before they realize they can be more creative with their branding? 

Not saying you're wrong, generally speaking, but I don't think this one's on us.

From what (admittedly little) I've read about it, this identity was designed by an American firm for American clients in an American league who happened to establish a franchise in Toronto.

The Six, really? Even with the name like the Furies from the now defunct CWHL raises an eyebrow, but just into added them to this league, and you wouldn't have so much backlash and explanation of why the team was named this.

Maybe they don't want to be seen as the Toronto Maple Leafs Ladies' Auxiliary and want to carve out an identity that stands out from the pack. Of course, like you said, that's not really possible, you're either blue like half the Tronna teams or red like the other half. Now they look vaguely affiliated with the Senators.

I like the stained glass Arts & Crafts thing going on in the background!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived