dcameronh

NWHL Unveilings

The team has released their jerseys.  Needs hem stripes and that logo is still ugly.

From Sportsnet:

“As the first Canadian team in the NWHL, the Six wanted to connect closely with the country’s colours and flag,” a press release from the team read. “Red and gold trim from the Six brand’s core colours are used as accents throughout the uniform.”

According to the release, Toronto’s goal for both its home and road jerseys was to have a “clean and classic look that honoured Canadian hockey.”

The Six’s third jersey features a pattern of maple leaves throughout, with six stripes on the sleeves and socks to represent both the team name and 2020-21 being the NWHL’s sixth season.

Each jersey also has a golden collar to represent the golden horseshoe of the Toronto area.

spacer.png

That red jersey would work well for the Flames. They can even keep the dumb flag patch!

I posted that picture of the jerseys a couple of days ago and only now did I realize neither their home or road jersey is the white one.  The red is the home and the black is the road, for the record.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, IceCap said:

I mean Drake made a song, people like the song, people like Drake, the nickname stuck. I've never cared for it. Toronto was "TO" or "T-dot" when I was a kid, and "the Six" is sort of what eclipsed that, so my Old Man phase just sort of rejects it out of hand. Still, it's popular.

Not a good idea for a team name though.

Stuff like this and "ATL" are dumb, in my opinion. And ye old tyme sporting name of "the Six/the Nine/the Silver Seven" doesn't work because that was just old school media lingo and not what teams called themselves. So "Toronto Six" fails for me on three fronts. As a name because of a Drake song, as an old timey name because those are dumb, and from a branding perspective because @DEAD is right. Way to rep Toronto hockey with Ottawa colours.

I'm sure someone would have had a problem with "Lady Leafs," but just go with that. The Leafs are big enough that it would have infinitely more brand equity than whatever this is.

Stop shoehorning ATL into that catagory. ATL and "The Six" are nothing alike. One is an abbreviated name, that has nation wide appeal.. the other is some catchy phrase that Drake has made popular in the U.S. It'd be different if Toronto was called "The TOR".  All I'm saying is, not every city nickname is created or used equally.

15 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Stop shoehorning ATL into that catagory. ATL and "The Six" are nothing alike. One is an abbreviated name, that has nation wide appeal.. the other is some catchy phrase that Drake has made popular in the U.S. It'd be different if Toronto was called "The TOR".  All I'm saying is, not every city nickname is created or used equally.

You came in here to talk about that? 

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

You came in here to talk about that? 

I had no idea "ATL" had "appeal"? 

11 hours ago, ghost316 said:

I like the overall look, but that logo just looks awkward for some reason.

Because they forced the T into the 6, which is actually perfect.  Awful logo for an awful name.  If you didn't know what the team name was, you'd be really confused.  Would have looked a little better, all things considering, had they put Toronto across or below the six.  

On 7/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, Teenage-Seiko-Turtles said:

Yeah,a Toronto sports team should be a shade of blue imo. Red and black is Ottawa's thing.

I think the colours of Queens University would have been perfect.

ML_8761_Fran%C3%A7ois-Brassard33.jpg

Not sure if this belongs in another thread or not (so feel free to move it if it does, mods); but I think these look pretty sharp. The subtle whale tail shape in the home arm striping is a fun detail, and it's good that the away is keeping the wave in the striping.

On the whole, I really like it.  But I think they would have been better off recoloring the "C" (to white with a blue outline) than keeping the standard logo and just putting a keyline around it.  Especially since they're already recoloring the whale.

EdihD9nXYAAlEO6?format=jpg&name=900x900 

The fin in the bottom stripe of the dark sweater ruins it.  The logo should stand alone and not be infringed on by any other design element.  The white sweater is far better.

White looks like a Flyers recolor, green looks like one you'd pick out of a catalogue from a smaller manufacturer for your local beer league team.

It looks like a Flyers jersey and handles the colour scheme poorly.  Too many instances of Blue and Green touching.  The dark uniform does better but has the obtrusive Fins overcrowd what should have been a clean, traditional design.

I agree on the fin but I have no problem with the green and blue touching. In fact, I think the white looks better than the green just because of all that white striping on the green.