NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

6 hours ago, IceCap said:

Fanatics everything is awful.

I'll actually be the devil's advocate here.

I recently purchased a fitted Fanatics Canucks hat and it's in many ways superior to most of the 59/50s I have. And I have a lot. The material is nicer, the stitching on the logo is better, I can wear it in the rain and it doesn't get horrifically warped (or at least hasn't so far), and a size 7 1/8 actually fits a 7 1/8, whereas with the 59/50s a size 7 can fit too large despite being a size down and a size 7 1/4 will be too small despite being a size up, there is absolutely no consistency or quality control.

I'll never order another fitted online because I've been burned on the sizing too many times. I always have to try the one I intend to buy on in store which sucks because there are a lot of great hats you can only find online. I'm not sure if this is more of an indictment on how bad New Era has gotten than it is me defending fanatics, but my point is that outside of a few niche brands that are even more overpriced, the majority of sports merchandise you'll buy is cheap poorly made crap.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardly a novel take here, but I could do without the name (although I don't hate it is much as some), but holy hell the rest of this identity is an absolute winner. Colors, both logos, sweaters, all absolutely A++.

Also, this is almost certainly the Liverpool fan in me, but I always previously associated "Release the Kraken" with this, way more than Liam Neeson or anything else:

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I haven't read the reactions in this thread and I'm not going to because your wrong opinions will bother me. 

Here's my take: This identity RULES. It's a hat trick in game 7 of the finals. The logos, the colors*, the jerseys are all so clean and sharp. The name is silly, but they managed to spin it into gold so who even cares? It's the Minnesota Wild of 2020. 

I am using my time as a Seattle resident as an excuse for adopting this team as my western conference favorite and will be purchasing some Kraken gear ASAP. 

*I was so worried they'd go with red and black and thus wouldn't match the aesthetic of the city's other pro franchises while also being too close to so many other NHL teams.

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

It was originally a giant fish

I'm glad you're not in charge of mythology.

In your mythical-entity world;

-The magnificient Unicorn would just be an unfortunate goat with a spastic horn.

-Santa Clause wouldn't be an immortal from the North Pole, flying through the skies in an enormous sled pulled by magical reindeer,

but rather some village drunk stumbling from house to house wishing well wishes.

-The fearsome, all-powerful, mysterious Kraken is just a big fish.(no proof of that actually)

-and those beautiful , swept-horn Viking helmets would just be plain, brown.

Good grief.

BTW @andrewharrington  FANTASTIC job on these.

38 minutes ago, Sport said:

I haven't read the reactions in this thread and I'm not going to because your wrong opinions will bother me. 

Here's my take: This identity RULES. It's a hat trick in game 7 of the finals. The logos, the colors*, the jerseys are all so clean and sharp. The name is silly, but they managed to spin it into gold so who even cares? It's the Minnesota Wild of 2020. 

I am using my time as a Seattle resident as an excuse for adopting this team as my western conference favorite and will be purchasing some Kraken gear ASAP. 

*I was so worried they'd go with red and black and thus wouldn't match the aesthetic of the city's other pro franchises while also being too close to so many other NHL teams.

The colors aren't my favorite because I am anti-multi-blue. This might seem hypocritical because of my love of the Grizzlies, but that's too bad and we just have to get over it. That's literally my only real complaint though.

The anti-Liam Neeson, "Release the Kraken," angle is odd to me. Mostly because "Release the Kraken" predates that version of Clash of the Titans by a whole bunch. I remember that quote way before they tried to make Sam Worthington into an action star in spite of the desires of humanity.

I don't get the feeling that this is based on modern Clash in great part because that was a failed franchise from a decade ago. It would be like naming a team after the most recent Mummy movie and its attempt at the Dark Universe.

40 minutes ago, ghost316 said:

and those beautiful , swept-horn Viking helmets would just be plain, brown.

I mean, there's no real evidence of the people who went on Vikings having horned helmets; that seems to be a Wagner invention that was subsequently adopted by popular culture. If any Scandinavian went viking, they were very likely wearing something like a gjermundbu, which pretty clearly is not bearing massive horns, and also was made of steel; so it'd be silver, not brown; 

spacer.png

That kind of stuff can irk someone without them just being a party-pooper whiny baby, you know? Especially someone very familiar with the real thing. It's like not depicting dinosaurs with feathers, really; yeah, Joe Swanson who mostly knows his dinosaurs through Jurassic Park won't really care if the movie isn't "correct"; but someone like me, who's familiar with how real dinosaurs look, is going to be way more critical of a movie that depicts them as slobbery lizard monsters instead of reflecting more modern studies because it's something they're very passionate about.

21 hours ago, monkeypower said:

kraken-jersey-lg.png

Love the logo, uni's are pretty darn cool.
But KRAKEN....no!

It may have been mentioned in past posts? The fans could be known as  "Krakheads," stadium/arena, the "Krakhouse."
Oh brother. 😅

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

I'm ok with Kraken. I was pretty strongly against it for the most part but having seen the whole package and letting it simmer for 24 hours or so.... I think it'll be fine. I mean, of course it'll be fine, it's just a name, but I think it will be a good name for them. Its iconic, it's got character, it's instantly recognisable and ownable, and it's different, which...yes I'd like to have had Sockeyes or Steelheads or something, but different is good too. And it's not like Kraken is an awful name. It really isn't. It's unorthodox that's for sure, but it's got gravitas, and mystery and impact and personality. Release the Kraken. You watch, 10 years from now the large majority of people won't have an issue with it. Fans are going to own it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

No white striping at home, big wide sleeve stripes, and very minor red accents is the same thing the Golden Knights do, incidentally.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

No white striping at home, big wide sleeve stripes, and very minor red accents is the same thing the Golden Knights do, incidentally.

Yes that's definitely something I noticed straight away. There's many similarities in the treatment of the home jersey between the two franchises. Curiously, I do think I like the Seattle home more than Vegas', but I prefer Vegas' white roads to Seattle's. I'm not sure how I feel about the Kraken logo on white. Not sure it works anywhere near as well as it does on a dark background.

21 hours ago, _RH_ said:

That's not realistic.  NBC will instead be showing Chicago vs Pittsburgh.

Pretty cool!

1. The style guide shows 4 blues... am I crazy or are we only seeing 3?  Maybe equipment and breezers are the darkest color?

2. Really surprised there isn't a green color (IMO would've helped differentiate from '00 Canucks)

3. Wish the waist and sleeve stripes would match better

4. I wonder if a hint of white on the home jersey would've helped ... I bet on TV the contrast will be lost a little

Alright I know there have been so many posts that this got buried quickly, but I'm really still curious about the four blues.  Anyone know more about this?

James Mirtle on Twitter: "The Seattle Kraken jersey and colour ...

Well it would have been completely redundant to bring in white when you have that light powder blue, so it makes sense why they didn't have any white on the jersey. I think the vibe that the home jersey gives off is that of murky, mysterious, darkness etc, and white would have undermined that aesthetic just a little bit.

5 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Alright I know there have been so many posts that this got buried quickly, but I'm really still curious about the four blues.  Anyone know more about this?

James Mirtle on Twitter: "The Seattle Kraken jersey and colour ...

Boundless blue shows up in the bevelling on the white jersey shoulder patch (and Wordmark if it's on the helmet I will assume). Other than that, not sure where else that colour appears. It does seem like a lot. I don't think they'd have any other need for it.

I am fully obsessed with these logos and I am one of the few really liking the name. It’s about time the octopus got its due in sports branding. (Octopuses or Octopi wouldn’t really work.)

I like the mystique behind the urban legend. The branding helps drive that home by not directly using a giant octopus as the logo. With the S, it looks like this creature is lurking in the depths — just out of sight, while giving you enough of a tease to know something big is down there. The space needle anchor logo is about as good as it gets for a secondary logo. Both are phenomenal. 

I feel like I live too far south to properly enjoy hockey. I’ve never had a favorite team. I might have to jump on this Kraken bandwagon. :)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived