NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Utah is an interesting one because we know about all the Swedes and Norwegians in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Iowa (Iowegia!), but Utah is up there because the really old Mormon stock is almost all English and Danish. Part of the reason Mormons pioneered giving white kids dumbass names like Kaighleigh and Jaxxzyn is that every like tenth family is named Christensen and they need to set everyone apart.

If not Christensen, then Peterson… There were 7–8 Peterson families in my HS in eastern Idaho (basically an extension of Utah), each with at least 5 kids. None with really stupid names though, I think I was a generation too early for that. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's BYU football that plays at "LaVell Edwards Stadium" and I remember reading that for the first time and thinking "wow, pretty progressive that they named their stadium after a black guy, considering." But they didn't, it was just some really old Mormon guy named LaVell for some reason. So creative nomenclature has been around, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think it's BYU football that plays at "LaVell Edwards Stadium" and I remember reading that for the first time and thinking "wow, pretty progressive that they named their stadium after a black guy, considering." But they didn't, it was just some really old Mormon guy named LaVell for some reason. So creative nomenclature has been around, I guess.

Apparently La___ was apparently pretty popular in Mormondom back in the 1920s. When I was growing up, BYU’s football coach was named LaVell and their basketball coach was named LaDell.  My ancient driver’s ed teacher was named DeLynne.

8 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Apparently La___ was apparently pretty popular in Mormondom back in the 1920s. When I was growing up, BYU’s football coach was named LaVell and their basketball coach was named LaDell.  My ancient driver’s ed teacher was named DeLynne.

Imagine some cartoonishly industrious teetotaler whose resume goes straight into the trash every time because his parents named him DeQuinton Smith

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Imagine some cartoonishly industrious teetotaler whose resume goes straight into the trash every time because his parents named him DeQuinton Smith

I can imagine a moderately inappropriate sitcom in which a Provo, Utah multi-level marketing company hires DeQuinton Smith to be Sr. VP only to find out that Mr. Smith is not a 50-some white Mormon dude. The sitcom initially provides awkward laughs about cultural differences, but later manages to gain critical praise for its willingness to confront current issues facing changing population demographics in conservative areas.

You're describing an American version of a CBC CanCon sitcom for which we have no natural home

EDIT: the real Two Solitudes are hilarious comedy and plodding didacticism

• 3 months later...

If anyone subscribes to The Athletic, they posted an article with some insight into the Kraken's search for a mascot:

https://theathletic.com/2359987/2021/02/03/seattle-kraken-mascot-gritty/

There isn't a ton of major information, but they did confirm that they won't be pulling a Montreal and repurposing the Sonics' Squatch. It doesn't sound like they've written off a squid/sea monster mascot, but it seems like they're more likely to go with something different. The team's VP of game presentation had this to say:

"Honestly, we went back and looked at every mascot in this region. Even the Ivar’s Dancing Clams. We’ve gone very granular as far as research. We also looked at every mascot in the NHL and what they look like and what animal and what region and what they represent. From there, we have started to think, what is Seattle, what is Washington? The mountains, the water and terrain, and start putting that web of characteristics together to come up with something.”

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

If anyone subscribes to The Athletic, they posted an article with some insight into the Kraken's search for a mascot:

https://theathletic.com/2359987/2021/02/03/seattle-kraken-mascot-gritty/

There isn't a ton of major information, but they did confirm that they won't be pulling a Montreal and repurposing the Sonics' Squatch. It doesn't sound like they've written off a squid/sea monster mascot, but it seems like they're more likely to go with something different. The team's VP of game presentation had this to say:

"Honestly, we went back and looked at every mascot in this region. Even the Ivar’s Dancing Clams. We’ve gone very granular as far as research. We also looked at every mascot in the NHL and what they look like and what animal and what region and what they represent. From there, we have started to think, what is Seattle, what is Washington? The mountains, the water and terrain, and start putting that web of characteristics together to come up with something.”

We're about to get Seattle Hipster Gritty aren't we? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

We're about to get Seattle Hipster Gritty aren't we? 

can I pre-order a shirt now?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/16/2021 at 7:48 AM, Chromatic said:

Straight outta' CHAZ

They’ll never do it but Chaz would be an awesome name for a mascot. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Archived