NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

1 minute ago, ScubaSteve said:

Thoughts:

1) Wow NJ Devils twitter really are d***s lol
2) I stand by my idea that even goofy names can be redeemed by great colors/logos/jerseys

I think it's salvageable but I think they have to do that on the ice.  I think if they suck for, say, 10-15 years...this might blow up in their face more so than other names.

If they win?  They'll probably fall into the "kitschy" category and be accepted.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Prince Harry said:

They’re already there. The logo is but a slight reference to the name. The tentacle is the only thing that reminds one that the name references a mythical sea monster. 

As a few others have noted, I think that's maybe the most interesting aspect of this brand. They really appear to be leaning into the whole mystery/ambiguity of the name...it's an interesting approach to take and may very well redeem the whole brand.

1 minute ago, officeglenn said:

Screen cap from a live stream discussion on the uniforms showing other elements like socks and pants:

nBKetuV.png

Ugh.  Alright, I kind of like that more then I thought I did like 10 minutes ago.  

1 minute ago, 1908_Cubs said:

I think it's salvageable but I think they have to do that on the ice.  I think if they suck for, say, 10-15 years...this might blow up in their face more so than other names.

If they win?  They'll probably fall into the "kitschy" category and be accepted.

True. Thunder got KIND of a pass because they came out of the gate hot. But not that they're not as good I think people are taking notice. Granted, that identity is VERY bland

3 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

True. Thunder got KIND of a pass because they came out of the gate hot. But not that they're not as good I think people are taking notice. Granted, that identity is VERYbland

That's a good point. Are they going to be a Colorado Avalanche or a Minnesota Wild?

Sorry...thought I was incorporating 1908_Cubs quote too...my bad.

Guest darkpiranha

I thought "Vegas Golden Knights" was super clunky, and it is, but like with all branding and names, you just quickly get over it as it fades into the background and that's just "what it is."  Star Wars or Pokemon names are the perfect examples.  Oh, the laughter and the skepticism when "Qui-Gon Jinn" was first rumored as a character name.  "No WAY a name that stupid is going to be the main character of the next Star Wars movie."    Until it was.  And now, we don't even blink when we see that name because that combination of letters means that character.

Kraken is a GREAT name purely on its own, irrespective of local significance.  I never once in my life connected Knights with Vegas.  But now, here we are.  Kraken will be a license to print money for this team, and in a month (not even waiting until the team actually takes the ice), the only people whining about the name will be in this thread.  Sockeyes would have been the best choice, with some bolder color choices, but Kraken is fun and unique to pro sports and will sweep the nation.

yeah, i actually think, seeing everything together kraken fits perfectly for the team... they'll look good losing to the sharks next year :P

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Positive that all possible word plays of crack cocaine are now utterly viable and immediately require adoption. Krakheads, Krakhouse, Krakden, etc. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

7 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

It’s insane to me that Seattle now has a WHL hockey team who’s branding package is exponentially more professional sounding than their NHL team. 

God, ok I’m done. I won’t subject y’all to my rants any longer. I’m just blown away how much of a farce this whole thing has been. We waited this long for THAT garbage? Wow, 

You speak for many of us on here. Nicknames like this is why the NHL will always be "the fourth major sport" in America, not to be taken seriously. Never would you see an NFL or NBA team stoop to such a ridiculous name. What a circus.

6uXNWAo.png

A+ logos and uniforms have saved a C+ team name.

I didn't think Seattle would care about an NHL team, but Seattlites love spending big money on sharply designed merchandise. This is that.

Nice work, NHL Seattle. This is fun and beautiful.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My thoughts are still that it is a terrible name and the cultural significance to Seattle is still tenuous at best. I'm wondering how the name will be received once the polish wears off.

They won't change it no matter what so this may be a moot point but I think a lot of people like because it is new and different. In 5 years down the road, will people still feel the same?

If I can add something

The logo opens doors the another name if the Kraken thing doesnt work, which I doubt.

I dont live in Seattle, not even in USA and like the coolness of it.

In case doesnt fit, you can change to seawolves or anything sea related. Dont even have to begin by S.

2 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Positive that all possible word plays of crack cocaine are now utterly viable and immediately require adoption. Krakheads, Krakhouse, Krakden, etc. 

No lie...

I just told my wife the name and she thought I said crackhead. She teaches in a city where drugs are a big issue and her mind went straight to that.

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

You speak for many of us on here. Nicknames like this is why the NHL will always be "the fourth major sport" in America, not to be taken seriously. Never would you see an NFL or NBA team stoop to such a ridiculous name. What a circus.

People are comparing this to the OKC Thunder, but I could see it being more relatable to the the Miami Heat or Orlando Magic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

they certainly nailed the unis, and the logo looks OK. I'll forgive the name, weird as it is. We'll see how they do on the ice.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Nobody else is looking at that jersey and thinking about the Ducks.  Stop.

25 minutes ago, DPHF said:

When you say "especially the sleeves", do you mean to say "only kinda sorta the sleeves and absolutely nothing else" ?

It is the sleeve striping pattern being similar. The Kraken sleeves are an enlarged and flattened version of the original-turned EDGE Ducks jerseys (sort of carried over into the sleeves of the current alt).

The home jerseys for both teams go

• dark body colour 
  • big stripe of second colour
  • smaller stripe of third colour
  • smaller stripe return to the body colour
  • thin stripe of a fourth colour
  • return to body colour for the remainder of the sleeve

Then the whites for both keep the exact same sleeve striping as the darks, just with a white jersey.

Anaheim-Ducks-2006-07-Jerseys.png

m0OBJpz.jpg

Look at the graphic posted by @officeglenn (and now by someone else below) showing the animated player in the uniform. The Kraken socks are the same as socks from those Ducks jerseys, just with the two top stripes looking bigger.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived