NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

I thought "Vegas Golden Knights" was super clunky, and it is, but like with all branding and names, you just quickly get over it as it fades into the background and that's just "what it is."  Star Wars or Pokemon names are the perfect examples.  Oh, the laughter and the skepticism when "Qui-Gon Jinn" was first rumored as a character name.  "No WAY a name that stupid is going to be the main character of the next Star Wars movie."    Until it was.  And now, we don't even blink when we see that name because that combination of letters means that character.

Kraken is a GREAT name purely on its own, irrespective of local significance.  I never once in my life connected Knights with Vegas.  But now, here we are.  Kraken will be a license to print money for this team, and in a month (not even waiting until the team actually takes the ice), the only people whining about the name will be in this thread.  Sockeyes would have been the best choice, with some bolder color choices, but Kraken is fun and unique to pro sports and will sweep the nation.

I agree...to a degree.  When it comes to Star Wars and Pokemon, you go in expecting a wonky name.  If you're engrossed in Star Wars names like "Han Solo" and "Lando Calrisian" were in your lexicon.  Qui-Gon-Jin doesn't take a leap of faith.  Same for Pokemon.  You have something called a Jigglypuff.  Once you're willing to accept that, who cares about a Charmander?

But I think in sports, there are names that have a feel of "minor leagues" and "highest league".  Kraken sounds like something you'd name an ECHL team.  I could see the Kraken playing the Swamp Rabbits.  Those seem to be breeding grounds for "tough" or "weird" or "out of the box" names (MiLB is a perfect example with Sod Poodles and Trash Pandas and everything else Brandoise).  Perhaps Kraken will just be accepted down the road and we'll all shrug and say "Man we were weird to think that didn't fit", but I also don't think that'll happen anytime soon.  I think best case for Kraken is they win early, and we all go "Well that's...different" while subconsciously associating them with winners.  I think worst case is that in 10 years, they're bad, and the name comes back to really mock them.  Releasing the Kraken might become..well...a good thing for other teams.  Suddenly the team is a joke with its' name, and there's an issue with the branding that a team with a more...traditional name, might not have to face.

Guest darkpiranha
1 minute ago, Cujo said:

You speak for many of us on here. Nicknames like this is why the NHL will always be "the fourth major sport" in America, not to be taken seriously. Never would you see an NFL or NBA team stoop to such a ridiculous name. What a circus.

I'd argue that the Miami Heat and Orlando Magic are two of the dumbest, most gimmicky names in sports.  Pelicans is boring.  Thunder is boring.   If generic and bland is what it takes to be considered a 'traditional' name, then I opt for something a notch more fun than traditional.   Kraken is perfectly fine. 

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

A+ logos and uniforms have saved a C+ team name.

I didn't think Seattle would care about an NHL team, but Seattlites love spending big money on sharply designed merchandise. This is that.

Nice work, NHL Seattle. This is fun and beautiful.

I hate the name but I can at least concede to the fact that as a Flyers fan, I don't have to like it and it really only matters if people in the Seattle area like it.

7 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I actually am liking the name more and more.  The video and branding sure helped.  I was worried that Kraken would cause the branding be too extreme and over the top.  

Avalanche, Kraken, next on NBC....

Sounds good to me.

"Draw your swords, gentlemen! The Sabres do battle with the Kraken! I'm John Butchegras & this is NBC's Wednesday Night Hockey."

Yeah, this works.

I’ve been trying to get on thier shop site for a while now, and I’m still having trouble. I’m guessing it’s striking up a lot of traffic!

Yes I’m still not a fan of the name, but you better believe I’m still getting a cap. The rest of the identity is brilliantly done.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

21 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The uniforms are very nice, and are bolstered by a complete absence of the team's name.

Don't most NHL uniforms omit the team name?  For every Rangers or Maple Leafs there's five Blackhawks, Sharks, Golden Knights, Coyotes, Penguins....

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Holy. :censored:.

That is gorgeous.

I'm getting one as soon as I can. They're amazing. Probably the white one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Sigh.... Oh well it's Kraken. Going to have to get used to that now. Pretty positive about everything else though on first viewing. Nice logo and shoulder patch. Not sure about that Wordmark.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

4 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

I'd argue that the Miami Heat and Orlando Magic are two of the dumbest, most gimmicky names in sports.  Pelicans is boring.  Thunder is boring.   If generic and bland is what it takes to be considered a 'traditional' name, then I opt for something a notch more fun than traditional.   Kraken is perfectly fine. 

Ya, gotta say I'd take the visual identity and team nickname of Seattle Kraken over the Pelicans and everything about them.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

29 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Everyone keeps saying “Trash name, great unis/branding” and I absolutely cannot understand how anyone feels that way. The name is the most garbage name in sports, but the unis and logo package are trash, too! They went with navy, (basically) powder blue, and red. That’s the most played out color scheme in sports! They look like a sad, knockoff version of the Winnipeg Jets, who already look like a sad, knockoff version of the Winnipeg Jets.

The only fitting thing about this whole identity is that represents EXACTLY what the NHL is. A complete and total clown show that deserves to never be taken seriously by anyone ever.

You keep calling the NHL a “joke” and a “clown show” because...you’re not a fan of two expansion teams’ names? What am I missing here?

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

You're right - the NBA is home to some of the worst names ever.  I like "Pelicans", because it has local relevance as a symbol of Louisiana, but the other three are straight garbage.  "Kraken" is better than all of them.

Archived