crashcarson15

NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

It's good. It's not bad. I very much like the unis, I love the shoulder patch. I'm really torn on whether I prefer the considerably tame S primary, or a likely less professional full Kraken as the main logo. Color scheme definitely needs one of those blues turned green.

Is this the first professional sports team to be named after a single organism as apposed to plurals like Bears or abstracts like Heat and Wild? If so that's really cool, and I think the creature itself is awesome and unique enough that it's a smart choice despite the admittedly dumb-sounding name.

Also what's with Adidas and the thin red stripes on jerseys?

I LOVE THE NAME. 

NLRMLgvoPvkvbU6Nycm6k24sl3g=.gif

Maybe I'm a sucker for large invertebrates but the idea of team named after a giant squid is just the right brand of weird for me. I feel like the team would be making a mistake for not going weird when the opportunity was right in front of them. 

I love how they managed to use the split "S" to create a tentacle. The anchor/space needle logo is one of the best secondary logos out of the gate in a long time (image that as the crest on an alternate). The color scheme is going to look great, especially on a cap. The jerseys have really terrific color balance. I love that they maintain a unified sleeve and hem template. I don't normally go for double shades of blue (green?) but this feels like it's done right, its just there to add some texture and they're consistent about how they use it.

A+ all around from me.  

PS: The sleeve numbers appear squatter and wider than the back numbers, a detail that always wins points for me.

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

If they don't pull a Vegas and end up getting knocked out early or completely miss the playoffs with an under .500 record in their first year, I'm wondering how much the name will be considered "cool" then. It's a name that effectively requires a team be hot out of the gate to not get turned into a complete joke.

If the team flounders or is outright bad, the name is going to become associated with that floundering, miserable team and become reviled.

Just don't think I can agree with this concept any more than it's true for any other team. If any team wins a lot they're associated with winning, and if any team loses a lot they're associated with losing. "Kraken" doesn't have any kind of special qualities that require the team to be amazing anymore than, say, the Titans. I mean, the Titans are massively powerful beings that birthed the Greek gods (though, in fairness, they were then defeated and subdued by Zeus). Yet, nobody is like "lol the Titans don't win enough their name is such a bad name because Titans are supposed to be powerful." 

Every Wednesday will be Clash of the Titans night.

10 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Is this the first professional sports team to be named after a single organism as apposed to plurals like Bears or abstracts like Heat and Wild? If so that's really cool, and I think the creature itself is awesome and unique enough that it's a smart choice despite the admittedly dumb-sounding name.

If we're talking the big 4, then yes. If talking about pro sports in general, then I believe the Manitoba Moose are the first team.

Just now, GriffinM6 said:

If we're talking the big 4, then yes. If talking about pro sports in general, then I believe the Manitoba Moose are the first team.

Moose is singular and plural. 

Just now, GriffinM6 said:

But that's still a plural, talking about a team of moose, isn't this club called the Kraken in a singular sense? Like the team is a singular entity, every player a tentacle or something? 

15 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

For all yous who were so mad they kept delaying the name announcement, this is exactly why. There would have been four months with nothing but garbage and vitriol being posted before the rest of identity came out and people eventually realized, “Oh, well, not that bad. It’s growing on me now that I’ve seen the full context.”

Yeah, a name like this really had to be announced in context.  

Remember CCSLC member @GiantPacificOctopus? He probably should go buy some lottery tickets. 

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

You speak for many of us on here. Nicknames like this is why the NHL will always be "the fourth major sport" in America, not to be taken seriously. Never would you see an NFL or NBA team stoop to such a ridiculous name. What a circus.

Thunder.....Browns....Nets.....Magic....Jazz.....

I think we're really getting into the weeds a bit here on the plural vs singular. I would have to assume that the team is using Kraken in the plural sense, unless they have said other wise.

---

There was that tweet recently about "The 'Release the Kraken' powerplay brought to you by Starbucks" or whatever, but wouldn't "Release the Kraken" work better for the penalty kill. As in releasing the Kraken from the penalty box?

2 minutes ago, Bruins said:

But that's still a plural, talking about a team of moose, isn't this club called the Kraken in a singular sense? Like the team is a singular entity, every player a tentacle or something? 

Did you get that from the club's announcement?

15 minutes ago, Bruins said:

There's the San Jose Barracuda, though apparently "barracuda" can be plural as well.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Moose is singular and plural. 

Yes, I'm aware. I thought he was asking if there was an animal team nickname that is both plural and singular. 

I gotta say, I've warmed up to the name with how well they executed the branding. The logo is restrained and looks great, and the jerseys are simply gorgeous, I love the way the sleeve stripes have a slight "gradient" to represent the sea with a thin red line for the Kraken's eye. As a whole, they went more for the mystery of a deep-sea monster and because of that they killed it. Despite the name, the logos are very nice, the Space Needle Anchor is brilliant and works incredibly well. As many have already said, this is another Wild situation where the name is dumb but the branding saves it all. Absolutely beautiful, I have to give props to the team for making "Kraken" work so well.

I think the name is growing on me... It’s getting better when I hear it more. Maybe it’s the fact that I am a fan of the Wild, but idk.

The visual package is amazing, however! The S logo is fantastic and so is the anchor needle. The wordmark is a little lacking, but serviceable. The jerseys are fantastic, but they do remind me of the Ducks orange jerseys. The broad stripes with a thin bright color underneath, plus the thin tail stripes is really similar. But it is very different enough that there’s not a lotta people that would notice...

The name does roll off the tongue pretty easily - Seattle Kraken

It’s growing on me. I think this is a better identity than Golden Knights. 

Let’s see if Seattle can win the West in their first season though 

I think they're really going to regret not having merchandise available for sale on shop.nhl.com, even if it's only pre-order.

dbbddc61-e050-434d-b9b6-1470f4481e9c.jpg

does it bug anyone else when the condensed version of the numbers for the arms looks better than the backs?