NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

So, it's been said on this forum that you need to contain the outlandish parts and not go full in if you want a successful and staying identity and this proves it.

Out there name followed up by a traditionalish logo, good colors, and traditional striping.

Name can grow on people if they look good, and they look fantastic.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think they're really going to regret not having merchandise available for sale on shop.nhl.com, even if it's only pre-order.

dbbddc61-e050-434d-b9b6-1470f4481e9c.jpg

Lots over overpriced stuff here: https://www.releasethekrakenstore.com/Main/Default

No jerseys though. They'd have made a fortune in pre-orders today.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Still say that this (in navy and with the S logo) would be an amazing arena product. Think of the fans around the penalty box wearing them!

spacer.png

The Boston Bruins have already beaten the Kraken to the punch and plan to roll these out as part of next season's "Lovecraft Country" series of home games. On certain nights - when the team takes to the ice as the Boston B'gnu-Thun, the Commonwealth Cthulhu, or the New England Nyarlathotep - items such as these will be on sale in the TD Garden Pro Shop.

On a related note, I've heard rumors - whispers in the darkness, really - about the possibility of a charity game that would pit the Great Old Ones alumni team versus an all-star squad of local collegiate stand-outs dubbed the Miskatonic Scholars. Feelers - fingers, rather - crossed. 

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't like the jerseys and colors. Very disappointed.

You seriously need to have FOUR shades of blue? Really? That seems so minor league to me. Oh and thank god you went the Vegas route and added a red stripe on your uniforms that looks really out of place.

This identity would've been so much sleeker had green been used somewhere. This screams generic to me. I have to say I love the logos though, and I actually love the name.

There's quite a few people on twitter asking if Kraken is singular or plural and I think the rollout should have made it clearer because to me at least, It drastically alters my appreciation for the name. I hope it's singular. 

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Lots over overpriced stuff here: https://www.releasethekrakenstore.com/Main/Default

No jerseys though. They'd have made a fortune in pre-orders today.

Crashed. 

Server Error

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

But when I went on it earlier, all they had was a handful of products branded with "ReleaSe the Kraken".

100101_z.jpg

11 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Boston Bruins have already beaten the Kraken to the punch and plan to roll these out in as part of next season's "Lovecraft Country" series of home games. On certain nights - when the team takes to the ice as the Boston B'gnu-Thun, the Commonwealth Cthulhu, or the New England Nyarlathotep - items such as these will be on sale in the TD Garden Pro Shop.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Bruins said:

There's quite a few people on twitter asking if Kraken is singular or plural and I think the rollout should have made it clearer because to me at least, It drastically alters my appreciation for the name. I hope it's singular. 

Look, if they've got time to write a tweet, they've got time to google. 

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=plural+of+kraken

I have a natural pre-disposition to liking anything navy so I don’t have a huge problem with using it as the primary colour. I do think it’s fine for teams to play it safe when testing out a new identity rather than going all out on the more quirky colours right away. 

With Buffalo moving to royal blue soon, i think it’s okay to have another navy team as it’s only really overused as an accent colour.

However, I also think there’s some stepping on toes going on between the Jackets, Jets, and now the Kraken using similar colours and eventually someone will have to blink first to move away from that.

Jets should use aviator blue as their primary colour, just with a better design than their current third. The Kraken can eventually move towards that pale teal shade they’re using but I do wonder if it’s too light to use for a home jersey and that’s why they didn’t choose it. A deeper teal or marine green would have been better. 

3 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Look, if they've got time to write a tweet, they've got time to google. 

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=plural+of+kraken

Well yeah, but Merriam-Webster says the plural can be either Kraken or Krakens, and they're asking how the team intends it anyway.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

tWqtszd.png

I really like how they incorporated the space needle into it.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

200px-Oklahoma_City_Thunder.svg.png

:lol:

Boring and generic aside, it drives me nuts how the T lines up with the crest on the left, but the R sticks out past it on the right.  Why would you not have it end on the same line?

1 hour ago, Sebastianm said:

Hey, Magic makes sense for the entertainment that makes Orlando iconic, they need to repurpose the Thunder name, Heat needs to go, I agree with you there.

What else would they call the Heat, though?  Manatees?  Alligators?  Retirees?  lol

This seems like a dumb question, because I’m assuming one thing, and I haven’t actually heard the pronunciation yet, but they went with Kraken (Crack-in) not Kraken (Cray-Kan)? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Just now, chcarlson23 said:

This seems like a dumb question, because I’m assuming one thing, and I haven’t actually heard the pronunciation yet, but they went with Kraken (Crack-in) not Kraken (Cray-Kan)? 

Crack-in.

ExJworW.png

I think it's pretty cool, definitely gimmicky but I don't follow hockey so I don't care all that much. Like the colors and the logo is cool, I hope the add an actual Kraken logo at some point because that would be awesome. Also this is my 500th post!

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

I overall like what I see with the Kraken name/branding.  It's a weird name, but Seattle seems like a weird place, so it fits.  No matter what name they chose, people will complain if they lose, and love it if they win.

My only complaint about the S logo is that I can't help but see a seahorse rather than thinking of Kraken despite the subtle tentacle:

Six Things You Didn't Know About the Seahorse - 30A

Archived