NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

If they don't pull a Vegas and end up getting knocked out early or completely miss the playoffs with an under .500 record in their first year, I'm wondering how much the name will be considered "cool" then. It's a name that effectively requires a team be hot out of the gate to not get turned into a complete joke.

If the team flounders or is outright bad, the name is going to become associated with that floundering, miserable team and become reviled.

They’ll be nicknamed Krakheads for sure. 

And Climate Pledge Arena becomes a Krakhouse. 

NYCdog.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Yeah, that's one thing that's always bothered me about the Washington Nationals.

Yeah, but at least the Nationals actually play in the National League. Seems fitting that way to me, as opposed to a team named the Metropolitans not even playing in the Metropolitan Division. 

That being said, it's a dumb reason to keep them from using a name.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

And I love that they've been able to create a logo that's just a modified monogram. 

It works at small size as a social media avatar: 

25px-Seattle_Kraken_official_logo.svg.pn

And it has enough detail to be interesting blown up across the chest of a jersey:

Edn4-K5XgAEzYtF?format=png&name=900x900

They didn't feel the need to create a roundel version with team name and a full-body Kraken that they would have ended up quietly abandoning three years from now.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One other nice thing about the primary (and secondary logo, for that matter) is it fits something @Gothamite said once long ago that stuck with me: kids should be able to draw sports logos on their notebooks. This definitely passes that test.

That was me.  I used to draw all the logos on my paper-bag book covers, and way back then, little Vet could nail just about all from all leagues except for ones like the Blackhawks, WTF, and a few others.  It's not a good icon to me (note I didn't say "iconic") if it doesn't pass the book-cover test.

Maybe that's why even to this day, my favorite logos are ones like the Flyers, Whalers, Nordiques, Devils, old Hawks, etc, and least favorite are ones that employ shading, shadowing, beveling, and realism.  Pictures != logos.

EDIT: Current Sharks, Preds, Senators logos are good examples of what I hate as a logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

why is that important?

I think it keeps the designer in check to not get too illustrative with the mark. Keep it simple, clean, and timeless. Something you can see for a few seconds then be able to draw it pretty easily. I fell most of the successful timeless logos achieve this. 

35 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29520108/how-seattle-nhl-team-became-kraken

This is a good read on the process behind naming the team. One interesting tidbit is that they favored Metropolitans early on but the league said no, due to the Metropolitan Division’s existence.

Also interesting that apparel isn't ready at reveal because of how cautious they were with leaks:

"A common way a name or logo leaks is through the production process; many a logo or uniform unveiling has been spoiled that way. Seattle didn't want to give the markups to vendors too soon and potentially have someone see it at a factory or shipping center. As a result, it will take some time to get official merchandise and jerseys on to fans."

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That was me.  I used to draw all the logos on my paper-bag book covers, and way back then, little Vet could nail just about all from all leagues except for ones like the Blackhawks, WTF, and a few others.  It's not a good icon to me (note I didn't say "iconic") if it doesn't pass the book-cover test.

I'd like to see a compilation of kids trying to draw the Indian Head from memory. In the absence of actual kids, let's all try to do it ourselves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, GFB said:

The nickname is silly but the branding is perfect and that more than makes up for the name.

Good design can save a bad name but bad design can ruin a good one.

This is where I'm at.  While I would have preferred salmon to 'alert red', they really knocked it out of the park with pretty much every aspect of this sans name.

My only quibbles at this point are:

1) I'd prefer a version of the S that doesn't have the beveling, but in 2020 this is the best I can hope for in that area.

2) I'd go with a navy S on the white sweater.

3) I may have tried to work a sea-foam green in there instead of one of the lighter shades of blue, but I really can't complain about the choice they made - it really looks great.

I usually say that four colors are two too many, but I'm willing to look past that here. 

Rules be damned - if something works, it works.  Two plus two doesn't always equal four.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"There are a lot of obvious connections to Seattle -- part because of our maritime history, part of because we have so much water around us -- but there is longtime folklore in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest of this mystical Kraken creature that lives just below the surface of the sea, which really captivated people for many years. That mystique, that intensity and that power that people have long talked about with the Kraken is what we expect our NHL team to play with."

What folklore is in Seattle? It sure isn't a giant mythical cephalopod. The North Atlantic Ocean and the Puget Sound are two different places. SMH.

7 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Great name, pretty good color scheme, great uniforms that don't desperately try to look like an Original Six team, decent logo (although the brand is really missing a full kraken logo). All in all, surprisingly competent from Bettman's NHL.

I'm actually glad they didn't come out with a full logo.  They've already got two amazing logos in their stable, and the set will get very cluttered very quickly if they add much more.

And that primary is so strong it doesn't need anything.  Not words, not anything.

1 hour ago, hettinger_rl said:

I hate this logo, but the farthest left portion of the T lines up with the left side just like the farthest right portion of the R does on the right. It's just because of the diagonal distance that it looks off.

Yeah, I realize that.  But it looks odd regardless.  They should just start over lol.

9 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:
MOD EDIT: Let's not muddy the waters with concepts that are not what was unveiled today.

I agree with Gothamite. When they eventually have an alternate, they should go with the seafoam blue. That would look amazing. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'm actually glad they didn't come out with a full logo.  They've already got two amazing logos in their stable, and the set will get very cluttered very quickly if they add much more.

And that primary is so strong it doesn't need anything.  Not words, not anything.

A lot of the talk from the designers who interviewed on the live stream after the unveiling kept talking about the mystery of the kraken and its mythical nature, how the scariest things are sometimes the things you can't see. So it sounded doubtful they'd ever add a full-body octopus logo. But I agree that I don't think they really need one.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

2) I'd go with a navy S on the white sweater.

That wouldn't make any sense here. It's not a monogram logo like, say, the Yankees NY, but rather an object that looks like a letter. As an analogy, it's like converting text to curves in Illustrator. Once it's converted, it becomes an object that happens to be in the shape of a letter rather than actual text. And the colors are there to help "create" the kraken/negative space that forms the logo itself. Changing it to navy on the white would be akin to changing a tiger logo to black against orange. It completely changes the makeup of the object itself. The object shouldn't change colors based on the background. Here, the navy forms the boundary so it's visible, just like an outline around a tiger logo so as to be visible against orange.

2 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

What folklore is in Seattle? It sure isn't a giant mythical cephalopod. The North Atlantic Ocean and the Puget Sound are two different places. SMH.

The largest Octopus on Earth lives off the Washington coast.  Pretty sure they have folklore around giant mythical cephalopods.  Nitpicking about the type seems a little petty. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Pacific_octopus

Archived