• Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Krz said:

Reminds me of,

spacer.png

I was thinking more of this:

Suzuki-emblem.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

disingenuous

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Brian tried that too.  Worth pointing out again that the stuff on that site is a charity fundraising push and not their main merchandise.

But now that they're actually selling real merchandise now, and the announcement-day catchphrase isn't on it, your argument is looking a little weaker.

🙄

They're selling merch with the actual text of the meme from the movie on it! It doesn't matter if it's for charity! It's being sold! They put it on there because they knew it would sell, because a huge part of the name's appeal is from the pop culture status of that scene in Clash of the Titans. Trying to deny that movie is at least partially why we're here is downright disingenuous. Do we need to wait for the team to play the clip on the jumbotron before we can all accept that?

And of course it's real merch! You can buy it!

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I know you don't like the name.  That's fine, I respect that.  

I REALLY don't think you do. And it's a shame because I usually find myself if not agreeing with you then at least seeing your side of things. Here though? You're flat out dismissing the reasoned opinions of everyone you don't agree with.

It sucks considering you re-entered the thread in an attempt to spread some positivity. Following that up with "your entire argument, and your personal reasons for disliking the name, are a strawman" is not really in that spirit.

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I REALLY don't think you do. And it's a shame because I usually find myself if not agreeing with you then at least seeing your side of things. Here though? You're flat out dismissing the reasoned opinions of everyone you don't agree with.

It sucks considering you re-entered the tread in an attempt to spread some positivity. Following that up with "your entire argument, and your personal reasons for disliking the name, are a strawman" is not really in that spirit.

I never said that.  I wasn't addressing you, didn't direct it to you, and didn't mean it in that way that you heard it.   But I understand how things can come off on the web, I know that intention doesn't always matter much, and when it was clear that you had taken offense I tried to apologize to you.

If you want to reject my apology, then there's really nothing I can do.  I'm sorry about that too.

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

At a certain point, it's good to reflect on just how much you might be arguing to argue. This in response to "you can have a different view, I respect that"? Not sure what else you're looking for.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Brian tried that too.  Worth pointing out again that the stuff on that site is a charity fundraising push and not their main merchandise.

But now that they're actually selling real merchandise now, and the announcement-day catchphrase isn't on it, your argument is looking a little weaker.

I know you don't like the name.  That's fine, I respect that.  

Man, the Fanatics hats for every NHL team are so awful. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

They didn't choose the name solely for the hashtag they wanted on the first day.

And considering that they held back all the real merchandise, and this stuff is just put out there to raise a little money for a local charity, I'm not sure that it helps your case.  

The first actual Kraken merchandise has started to hit the NHL shop, and looky here - no catch phrase to be found anywhere.  Maybe it's not quite so central to their branding as we may have first thought.

I never claimed that the name was chosen solely for the hashtag they wanted on the first day. Rather, it was my contention that without the existence of the Liam Neeson "Release the Kracken!" meme, there's every reason to believe that the Kraken identity never gains enough mindshare in the general populace to prove capable of building up a groundswell of support as a potential team name.

As for the Kraken merchandise on the NHL shop not bearing the catch phrase, it's my understanding that only this afternoon's "ReleaSe the Kracken"-branded items generate money for charity. That being the case, it would not be a good look for the team to release a slew of catch phrase-imprinted merchandise on a platform that doesn't benefit a partner charity and, thereby, risk siphoning away sales from the outlet that is benefitting the charitable endeavor. There will be plenty of time to potentially include purely profit-driving, catch phrase-bearing merchandise on the NHL shop down the road.        

4 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I never claimed that the name was chosen solely for the hashtag they wanted on the first day. Rather, it was my contention that without the existence of the Liam Neeson "Release the Kracken!" meme, there's every reason to believe that the Kraken identity never gains enough mindshare in the general populace to prove capable of building up a groundswell of support as a potential team name.      

Possibly.  But that's hardly the same thing as then choosing a name based even largely on its meme potential, or for the purposes of cashing in on an existing meme.  Both of which seem to have been raised on this thread, if not necessarily by you.

And even if you are right, I'm struggling to see where that's a bad thing or a strike against the name.

I admit, I am NOT a movie goer, so the whole "Release the Kraken" is lost on me, and I am sure that will wear itself out.

We need to also realise that this is a starting point and the identity will evolve over time just like the Minnesota Wild, or the Colorado Avalanche, or even the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There are other things that revolves around the identity, like a mascot, to consider. I predict one day, the Kraken will have some roundel logo on an alternate jersey. I hope they keep the 'S' logo as their main identity much like how the Wild have their silhouette and Avs with their 'A' all these years.

I saw, I came, I left.

10 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Well, while I'm on the subject of obscure video game references, I think the logo looks most like this fictional football team from Saints Row 2
ZUvU3Sd.png

Complete aside, but the Saints Row series is much, much better than Grand Theft Auto, and I'm totally willing to die on that hill.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I mean, they did in fact pick the name because a bunch of people spammed the reference over and over again online until it got back to the team and they decided to roll with it, right? I'm sure that's not the official story but frankly I don't think I could be convinced otherwise. Hence why I call them a meme team, because that's what the name is, whether anyone else wants to admit it or not.

1 hour ago, Corvus said:

So,  I've been listening to a hockey podcast out of Seattle for about a year now, one of the hosts is one of the people who started the community push for a team in Seattle. They released a podcast with their reactions to the name tonight, for those who might want to hear the local reaction. Local reaction in Seattle seems quite positive, which is of course the thing that really matters. 

https://nhltoseattle.com/2020/07/23/sound-of-hockey-episode-96-lets-go-kraken/

"Let's get Kraken! CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP. Let's get Kraken! CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP."

#LetsGetKraken

50 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'm going to echo @Brian in Boston here.

Do you think the team will play up mentions of the kraken in Bruckheimer's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest or the Clash of the Titans film with the "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" line that Bruckheimer had no part in? 

I mean, sure, it's a memorable line that they'll probably use. But it's literally just three words, I doubt they're going with the whole Greek mythology references. 

58 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I felt like Barney Gumble During Springfield's prohibition days.

"Seattle Kraken?!? This better be one of the best identities I've seen in my life!"

Takes a look at logo, colors, and jersey.

"You got lucky....."

Piggybacking off Simpsons references, allow me to share my thoughts on the name “Seattle Kraken”:

YN_rUker7gvhJ6m0MHdGwoO1C_0=.gif

I might be in the minority when I say this, but I don’t think that the Kraken name is terrible. It doesn’t have a “timeless” feeling to it like a name such as “Sockeyes” or “Evergreens” has—it feels like it could go back to a late 1990s/2000s expansion team or a fictional team in a comic-book universe, if anything—but anything the name was holding back is more than made up for by the logo package and uniforms. I love the old-timey monogram S as the crest, which does have a timeless vibe to it, and the Space Anchor secondary logo is very clever.

I'd probably swap out the Ice Blue for more of a sea-foam green, but that’s about all I’d do.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

Whereas I found most of those to be lacking. If anything has actually made me somewhat ok with this? It's the logo they've went with. It blows everything from the Concepts section here out of the water (heh).

Absolutely. The Seattle Kraken concepts were some of the worst I've ever seen.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

32 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Hot take: Southern fans care way more than northern fans. They're the ones who get hyper-defensive about this crap.

Admittedly very much so, but I'd imagine any fan would get spiteful and vindictive if you endured years of a certain subgroup of people among the bigger fanbases basically calling your team worthless and counting down the days until they move because "hockey doesn't belong down there!". It feels gatekeepy in the worst way, even as a person who loves the Leafs as well.

32 minutes ago, IceCap said:

"I want the Nordiques to come back too!"
"Ok. How about we relocate one of these struggling southern teams?"
"You can't do that!"

🙄

Oh, I'm all for Florida going to Québec if they can't get their :censored: together and prove that they can make the market work. At this point, it's put up or shut up for them; and unlike in Arizona, there's already a far more successful team in the state that can just take over that market if the Panthers leave.

They're totally and completely expendable, and I would not shed a single tear if they left...well, okay, that's a lie; I'd likely shed at least a few tears of joy for the return of the Nordiques, but that aside, it wouldn't kill me if the Panthers said they were moving to Québec the day after they get eliminated from the play-ins.

My bigger beef is with when people do it with the Coyotes, since that's a situation ala Atlanta or Nashville where prior ownership spent years putting out a complete trash heap of a product, made a very limp effort of marketing it in the region and...well, the bankruptcy saga and everything that unfolded from there is obvious.

It's hard for me to look back at old posts from that time on places like HFboards, see people basically gleefully counting down the days until the team was moved, and not kinda get why some of the other fans of those teams are so defensive and bitter. It'd be like if a bunch of people gleefully counted down the days until the Whalers were moved; it just feels dirty, y'know?

Maybe I'm just really bitter at having been a fan of teams that were often (and still are) prime targets in that omnipresent relocation discussion, I dunno.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It'd be like if a bunch of people gleefully counted down the days until the Whalers were moved; it just feels kinda dirty.

I really want Carolina play Seattle wearing the Whalers jerseys.

Forget a roundel I mentioned earlier,  I want an egg-shaped logo.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived