NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The horned viking helmet motif most likely originated with the monasteries that were attacked in raids trying to portray them as ferociously and demonically as possible. Now the idea of a viking wearing a horned helmet has become so distilled into the imagery that it's a part of the mythology, which Wagnerian opera both drew from and contributed to. Since logos are meant to be representations of the idea of the mascot, not a historical depiction, there isn't anything wrong with some inaccuracies. After all the Minnesota Vikings aren't actually vikings and the Toronto Raptors aren't actually dinosaurs/birds of prey/fighter jets/ostentatious trucks/whatever else you make a logo out of.

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

IIRC, wasn’t the Kraken in Clash of the Titans just an enormous snapping turtle?

Yeah, basically. 

MV5BZjAwMThkNTYtMmY0NS00N2M1LTgwMzMtNDZm

The original from the 70s was infinitely worse:

e258ea29dc414d2e7740ccf777deb990.jpg

The Pirates of the Caribbean kraken was a lot more of a traditional giant squid thingy.

c8593433643396.57ade00bca77a.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I thought the origin in recent pop culture was in the PotC movies. Speaking of which, I’ve still never seen any of them.

"Release the Kraken!" was always a reference to the original Clash of the Titans, which is still worth seeing, to be fair.  The Pirates of the Caribbean films you can pretty much stop watching after Dead Man's Chest and be fine.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well after letting the Kraken marinate for 23 or so hours, I stills don’t like the name. It’s very trendy/gimmicky IMO. It was Sockeyes or Bust for me to be perfectly honest. I thought it had the most potential to be classic and unique. I’m still really disappointed that I didn’t get my Sockeyes.

All that being said, I have to say, reluctantly, that I totally dig the color scheme and jerseys. I can definitely appreciate all craftsmanship of the logos as well. The Space Needle anchor is superb and the S is really good. I like that they played up the “mystery of the deep” angle and we didn’t get a full-kraken cartoony logo. I think that would have taken the visual identity firmly into kitschy and minor leagueish. The word mark looks like a rum label to to me but that’s not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

So, to sum-up all of my thoughts in a short sentence: I love all of the visuals, still really dislike the name. Maybe I’ll buy a hat.

I'd feel infinitely better if they had *more* megasquid/nautical involved in the brand.  It feels like they've kinda skimped on it a bit, only vaguely hinting at the inspiration rather than giving me a proper portion.  There is definitely elegance in restraint, but if your gimmick is a mythical sea beast, don't shortchange me.

twitter

3 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

I'd feel infinitely better if they had *more* megasquid/nautical involved in the brand.  It feels like they've kinda skimped on it a bit, only vaguely hinting at the inspiration rather than giving me a proper portion.  There is definitely elegance in restraint, but if your gimmick is a mythical sea beast, don't shortchange me.

Disagree strongly; I'd rather they play up the mystery angle instead of running with the monster aspect and end up looking kitschy. There's something to be said for making such a dumb name work through tasteful and reserved imagery.

If they rolled up with a primary of a squid smashing a hockey stick to bits in its tentacles or something, the backlash would've been way worse for the name. You can't use a name like "Kraken" in a major league and have some cartoony or overbearing monster squid logo as your primary logo, it'd be a one-way ticket to getting absolutely lampooned. They did the best they could, even if I detest the name.

14 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Well after letting the Kraken marinate for 23 or so hours, I stills don’t like the name. It’s very trendy/gimmicky IMO. It was Sockeyes or Bust for me to be perfectly honest. I thought it had the most potential to be classic and unique. I’m still really disappointed that I didn’t get my Sockeyes.

All that being said, I have to say, reluctantly, that I totally dig the color scheme and jerseys. I can definitely appreciate all craftsmanship of the logos as well. The Space Needle anchor is superb and the S is really good. I like that they played up the “mystery of the deep” angle and we didn’t get a full-kraken cartoony logo. I think that would have taken the visual identity firmly into kitschy and minor leagueish. The word mark looks like a rum label to to me but that’s not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

So, to sum-up all of my thoughts in a short sentence: I love all of the visuals, still really dislike the name. Maybe I’ll buy a hat.

Seattle Seagulls.

48 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

That didn't take long.

KqGDrA9.jpg

As much as I love the two logos individually, something about this mash-up just seems a little off.  I think it might be the decision to ignore and obliterate the tentacle by splitting the vertical stroke of the S that way, part in front of the anchor and part behind.

I don't think we've seen the official branding guidelines, but I suspect they specify that the primary logo must always have its outline, so the negative space is preserved.

300px-Seattle_Kraken_official_logo.svg.p 

I like their initial restraint for the logos/jersey.

I imagine that a kids club will be formed and a full body logo will be made from there. They'll use that as a judge to see if they want to do it for the actual team then.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

The kraken isn't from Greek mythology. It was originally a giant fish from Scandinavian folkore! This is what I'm talking about people!

rage GIF

Kidding of course. Mostly.

Yes, I know. But Clash of the Titans is a Greek Mythology movie with a non-greek name slapped on their sea monster.  Here's Ray Harryhausen talking about it in regards to the 1981 movie. 

https://youtu.be/t7cYTDKkS0c

Serious question: How long has it been since we made it all the way to the unveiling without ANY leaks or even teasers? There was literally nothing here until we made it into the livestream. That has gotta be a record.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

56 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

I can't wait to see what their mascot will be. Just imagine, a kraken with the extra arms hanging down from the costume. 

They could easily just bring back the Sonics' Sasquatch mascot -- but the KrAkEn will instead opt to do something cringy and out of the box

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

If they rolled up with a primary of a squid smashing a hockey stick to bits in its tentacles or something, the backlash would've been way worse for the name. You can't use a name like "Kraken" in a major league and have some cartoony or overbearing monster squid logo as your primary logo, it'd be a one-way ticket to getting absolutely lampooned.

I agree with this statement, but cartoony mascot logo using sports equipment is exactly how the Toronto Raptors played it and there is a large contingent on this forum that love their original look. 

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

They could easily just bring back the Sonics' Sasquatch mascot -- but the KrAkEn will instead opt to do something cringy and out of the box

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkqetj0BecwwEquvjGc3X

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived