NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

39 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, it does seem as though that's a fight that was lost thirty years ago.

I understand the origination of the legend, but it's become so much more than it originally was.  The original Norwegian folklore has expanded and been adopted across the world.  Which is kind of what legends do.  We borrowed Sinterklass from the Dutch and adapted him into Santa Claus.  Does that invalidate all our Yuletide festivities?

Oh, I totally agree. Looks like the producers of the original Clash of the Titans just decided they liked Kraken better as a word, and I can get that, it sounds cool. It's a shorter and punchier word than "leviathan" for an actor to utter. 

I share the interest in history (it's what my undergraduate degree is in) and mythology some of the other posters do, but I also understand that stories and language evolve and the commonly understood meaning of words change overtime based on how they're used. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I think one of the lighter blues might be the same one used on the Seattle city flag.

Also while I like the idea of the secondary, I'm not overly fond of the execution. It looks like an ice sculpture or some weird 60s idea of future technology.

That means it's accurately referencing the Space Needle, built for the 1962 world's fair. Worlds Fair's have always had an element of imagining the future. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

As much as I love the two logos individually, something about this mash-up just seems a little off.  I think it might be the decision to ignore and obliterate the tentacle by splitting the vertical stroke of the S that way, part in front of the anchor and part behind.

For me, it's the fact that the Space Anchor (Anchor Needle?) has a monstrous, red eye.

I have never heard of Clash of the Titans until this thread but I still knew a Kraken was a sea monster thing. I guess I would have expected it to be more of an undersea dragon but I didn't put much thought into it beyond sea monster. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

We never address the converse here: how much would-be elite talent in Quebec never makes it to the pros or never picks up the game at all because the sport has left the province behind to chase McMansion Hell down south? Because if the QMJHL's anemic numbers at draft time are any indication, it's a lot. Is that a tragedy on par with Vegas-suburb kids not picking up hockey? If not, why not? When we're talking about draft picks, even with expansion it's ultimately a zero-sum game; players getting drafted out of new places necessarily means players not getting drafted out of old ones, so I don't know how we celebrate one without lamenting the other. 

I don't see this being the case at all. Hockey had a long history of hockey long before the Nordiques arrived, and still has a strong connection to the game (the presence of the Habs definitely helps). There is still tons of excellent training facilities, coaches, and minor hockey programs throughout the province. We're about to see a Quebec-born player drafted 1st overall. The big argument against bringing the league back to Quebec City was that they wouldn't be creating new fans, they'd just be serving existing ones.

Canada's ties to hockey reach far beyond the 7 NHL teams in the country. Saskatchewan produces the most NHLers per capita, and the nearest teams are hundreds of kilometres away. If a Canadian junior player loses his spot in the draft because a more talented American kid who grew up in the sun belt gets it, that just means the quality of play in the league is getting better.

47 minutes ago, Corvus said:

That means it's accurately referencing the Space Needle, built for the 1962 world's fair. Worlds Fair's have always had an element of imagining the future. 

No, the Space Needle doesn't look like something from Star Trek or an ice sculpture.

12 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

If a Canadian junior player loses his spot in the draft because a more talented American kid who grew up in the sun belt gets it, that just means the quality of play in the league is getting better.

Conversely, if a Canadian junior player loses his spot in the draft because a less talented American kid who grew up with better facilities gets it, that doesn't help the quality of play. 

The NHL shouldn't spurn the talent in older hockey markets just to chase talent in the new.  They have to develop both.

Why is the QMJHL sending fewer players to the draft than the USHL? How is that not indicative of Quebec and Eastern Canada struggling to develop talent?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, Digby said:

I have never heard of Clash of the Titans until this thread but I still knew a Kraken was a sea monster thing. I guess I would have expected it to be more of an undersea dragon but I didn't put much thought into it beyond sea monster. 

Makes sense.  "Sea Monster" is extremely open to interpretation, but on a lot of old maps was drawn as a giant dragon or eel.

sea-serpent-attacks-ship.jpg1378353246

Even some ancient descriptions of the fictional and similarly open-ended Kraken are absurd:

kraken2.jpg

But the classic Kraken that we think of today was actually made famous by a Naturalist from many, many years ago who created this image, which has since been copied countless times:

Kraken_822x.jpg?v=1527273479

I think there's something about the concept of a creature we know exists and can easily visualize - octopus (or squids, etc) - being depicted as huge, and having all of these tentacles wrapping themselves around the vertical framework of a ship of the line.  It's satisfying to see coils around straight lines. 

The more abstract you get with Kraken, the harder it is to sell it as a brand, IMHO.  That's why I felt like it was important for Seattle to really own the idea of what a Kraken is, and instead it looks just as C'thulu-esque as it does a sea creature.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, Corvus said:

Straight from Adidas:

What the actual F?  They unveiled a jersey that won't be available for more than a full year?  Is this just the "adizero authentic" that's going to take so long?  Or even the reps?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It looks like 99% of things you see on Behance. Sports marketing people don't use those colours and shadows on logos for a reason.

If for any reason, sports execs are on this forum, hire people with experience in marketing a major league club. 

50 minutes ago, kw11333 said:

It looks like 99% of things you see on Behance. Sports marketing people don't use those colours and shadows on logos for a reason.

If for any reason, sports execs are on this forum, hire people with experience in marketing a major league club. 

they did. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I understand the origination of the legend, but it's become so much more than it originally was.  The original Norwegian folklore has expanded and been adopted across the world.  Which is kind of what legends do.  We borrowed Sinterklass from the Dutch and adapted him into Santa Claus.  Does that invalidate all our Yuletide festivities?

The thing is that we can pinpoint when all of this happened. 

Travel guide literature of the 18th century. Which became incredibly popular. And prominent authors in this genre ended up conflating the old Norse kraken legend with unrelated legends about giant squids. I made a post in the old thread where I sourced all of this stuff down to the first instance of it happening. 

So while you can point to Santa Clause and Sinterklass as being representations of Saint Nicholas of Myra evolving through cultural mythological drift (though the OG Saint Nic was very real by all accounts)? The kraken is a case where I can pinpoint the moment where that transition happened and go "Erik Pontoppidan just conflated two separate things in a book that became popular." 

Now does this have any effect whatsoever on the way most people view the kraken? No. Not really. Erik Pontoppidan conflated two things in a popular book and that set the public image of both as one in stone. It is what it is. 

Still, there's a reason I can enjoy Santa Clause as a jolly reminder of one of my favourite seasons whereas I can't get over my dislike of the Seattle Kraken leaning into the squid thing. 

And I know that's a niche group I fall into for not being able to get over that, but it is how I feel. And I do feel like I've arrived at that honestly 🤷‍♂️

A year before people can buy jerseys (and missing the 2020 holiday season) is so so dumb and so so NHL.

Welcome to pro hockey, Seattle! This is how the NHL operates!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Is anyone else upset they didn't go full Mighty Ducks and make the most gaudy, tentacle filled logo they could've? Their identity is very slick, modern, and professional, but I was really hoping they would go balls-to-the-wall on the Kraken identity.

Hell no, I'm glad they stayed very restrained. I can't imagine the kind of backlash a super gaudy identity would've elicited.

6 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, there's no real evidence of the people who went on Vikings having horned helmets; that seems to be a Wagner invention that was subsequently adopted by popular culture. If any Scandinavian went viking, they were very likely wearing something like a gjermundbu, which pretty clearly is not bearing massive horns, and also was made of steel; so it'd be silver, not brown; 

spacer.png

That kind of stuff can irk someone without them just being a party-pooper whiny baby, you know? Especially someone very familiar with the real thing. It's like not depicting dinosaurs with feathers, really; yeah, Joe Swanson who mostly knows his dinosaurs through Jurassic Park won't really care if the movie isn't "correct"; but someone like me, who's familiar with how real dinosaurs look, is going to be way more critical of a movie that depicts them as slobbery lizard monsters instead of reflecting more modern studies because it's something they're very passionate about.

This is something I'm on board with. If we could get a Viking logo that shows a knarr loaded with amber and walrus ivory for trade, that would be pretty sweet. 

I'd love a full bodied squid logo in attack mode like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Especially if Seattle plays Carolina in the Whalers throwbacks for some classic sperm whale v. giant squid action. 

Archived