NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

On 7/24/2020 at 9:31 PM, darkpiranha said:

They may be holding it for later, but I find it interesting that except for that tentacle shape, there's nothing that nails down what this Kraken is.  I can see two reasons for that.  One, is that they are never going to establish "THIS is the Kraken!" as a specific monster, but instead let it just be an amorphous mystery with a red eye.  Granted, it's harder to market and sell stuff.  But that leads to my second thought and that's that if they DO nail down a look or a specific monster, it will likely reference, or be visually similar to, some established sea monster.  You can't have it look like either of the actual Clash of the Titans krakens without getting into a licensing deal with Warner Bros.  If you make it look like the kraken from the Pirates movies, Disney will want a fee.  You can make it a generic squid or octopus, but that's pretty dull.   So I think they might just not ever definitively establish what the Kraken looks like.   Third, this opens up tons of fan involvement.  With no definitive look, then fans can dress up as, or create signs for, or buy toys for, any sort of sea monster they can imagine.  The team can have "What do YOU think the Kraken looks like?" contests.   Even so, it'll be a challenge either way.  When you establish "mysterious" as a branding element, you can't just go and reveal the mystery soon after.  

I've made it clear I just dont like the name and why, but despite that the best thing they have done with the brand is leave the Kraken as unseen.  Outside of a single tentacle in the negative space and a red eye, we have no concept of what we are dealing with.  Keeping that is important, I think.  

As much as I can say the name might have a hokey/campy feel the visual identity of the team is quite professional and they've taken what really could easily be a garrish minor league brand and elevated it to being on par with the NHL.  The second we see the Kraken is the second I fear it on merch.  Once on merch, then comes a 3rd uniform with a big ass Kraken.  

I think the thin line between and minor league brand and an NHL brand with this name is keeping the mystery.   It gives it that extra step.  

I hope we never see it.  As long as they can keep line, I think the team can transcend an iffy name.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, M4One said:

It is a silly name.  But, for an expansion team, whether it be in hockey or football, whatever.  Go for it.  To use it to as the new names for historic franchises like Edmonton or Washington.  No.  

This may sound silly, but hockey is played on (frozen) water and I think nautical names fit better than for football (apologies to the Dolphins, you're welcome for all the fish)

There are definitely names that are better suited to different sports and different markets. 

Kraken absolutely suits hockey over the other major sports and it suits Seattle over other markets, given Seattle's ocean themed pro teams. 

Washington are in a tougher spot because they're an old, historic franchise and will need a name that honours that. Edmonton the same. A brand new expansion team Seattle has a completely different brief and they have some licence to have a more modern, trendy name. 

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

Exactly.

HighFreeHoiho-size_restricted.gif

Really no different than an NFL team celebration in the end zone...it’s just really awful that players are clever and like to have fun...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

How dare a team trying to drum up fan support in a non-traditional market do non-traditional things? 😛

Having fun? In sports? How dare they!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Why is having fun and celebrating dumb?  It's pro sports - people pay to be entertained.  Grown-ass men falling over like bowling pins makes me laugh.

In fact, I think celebrations should actually count.  So there'd be judges, and based on the quality (or lack thereof) of the celebration, you'd either get an extra point, or maybe kick off from 5 yards closer (or if the celebration really blew, you'd get penalized 5 yards.)  The catch is that no celebration could be called more than once.

Think of the drama!  A team is down by 8 in the closing seconds, so it'd usually be game over, but they score and then pull out their haymaker celebration, then wait patiently while the judges decide their fate.  Then they get awarded the bonus point, go for two, and win the game by one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, Cujo said:

So Red Wolves or Red Tails is more fitting for a non-expansion, richly historical team... 🙄🙄

Yes.  While they might not be for everyone, I don't think anyone is going to say either name is silly in the same way Kraken is.  They are also fine for an expansion team.  Whatever name Washington and Edmonton ends up with, they should fit in with a more classical naming scheme, even if it ends up being a generic animal and nothing too out of the box.

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Exactly.

HighFreeHoiho-size_restricted.gif

Are you really Don Cherry?  

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Don Cherry? The racist tv guy? Idgi..

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

The old racist, cranky guy who thought of himself as a guardian of the game and hated hockey players having a little fun.  Gotta be robots.

I thought the Canes celebrations were dumb as well at first, but the fans like it and the players are okay with it.  What's the big deal?  

23 minutes ago, M4One said:

The old racist, cranky guy who thought of himself as a guardian of the game and hated hockey players having a little fun.  Gotta be robots.

I thought the Canes celebrations were dumb as well at first, but the fans like it and the players are okay with it.  What's the big deal?  

There's nothing wrong with any of that.

My point: It's things like that which differentiate the NHL from the other "Big 3" professional sports. The Hurricanes circus act and franchises named Krakens Gone Wild are things we see and expect on the minor-league level.

6uXNWAo.png

On 7/25/2020 at 7:50 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

xm15w01aooc51.png

The Krakens are now my favorite team and I want a goddam hat NOW NOT NEXT YEAR.

I don't see a single consummate V anywhere on there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

There's nothing wrong with any of that.

My point: It's things like that which differentiate the NHL from the other "Big 3" professional sports. The Hurricanes circus act and franchises named Krakens Gone Wild are things we see and expect on the minor-league level.

You don't recall any choreographed celebrations in either MLB or NFL? You've got a selective memory. Search "Brewers bowling ball". Name an NFL team, and I guarndamntee that the entire defense ran into the end zone and posed after an interception last year.

It's where I sit.

8 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You've got a selective memory. Search "Brewers bowling ball".

Oh, was that the time the Brewers assembled an entire bowling alley on the field and and played a few frames? Of course! We all remember that!

Carolina Hurricanes feel the spirit of March Madness with on-ice ...

6uXNWAo.png

Archived